PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Care - New Car

doink
07-01-2009, 02:05 PM
What is the correct process to keep a new cars paint work in mint condition?

I've searched the forums and picked up a number things, however, I'm not sure if they are correct or not:

1. Don't wash the car for at least a month after purchase to allow the new paint to cure. Apparently it can take 6 months for new paint to completely set/harden???

2. Paint protection isn't really necessary, waste of money???

3. Don't wash with soap, only fresh water. Only use a soap for stubborn stains???

4. Wax (not polish) after every wash.

What have others done to maintain their new cars external appearance?

Can anyone recommend good car wash and wax products to use?

Thanks

Big Yellow
07-01-2009, 02:09 PM
www.finalinspection.com.au

Everything you need to know about anything car detailing/washing

Can even buy all the equipment you need!!

Now to get myself a wash bucket set lolz

KWICKS
07-01-2009, 02:14 PM
There is a detailing sub forum on here. Anyway...

I heard up to 3 months to cure from somewhere but have never known anyone to have an issue with washing their car straight away, its likely its been a couple of months between when it was painted and delivery anyway.

Paint protection has a very high mark up and is probably only useful for people who don't like to clean their car often.

I always wash with pH neutral carwash products. Something gentle that will not strip the wax previously applied. Microfibre mitt, 2 buckets, one to rinse off grit in mit, other to collect suds for wash. Then I clay to remove all impurities before applying something over the top that will trap them in.

I wax after every wash because with two cars to clean its about a month between washes on each at least at my place. I put a sealant on occasionally too. I like the effect a wax adds to shine and beading of water as much as any extra protection.

I rarely polish (annually), but with new cars its not usually necessary for a couple of years unless you have swirls all over your car from not washing as above.

giveway
07-01-2009, 03:08 PM
There is a detailing sub forum on here. Anyway...

I heard up to 3 months to cure from somewhere but have never known anyone to have an issue with washing their car straight away, its likely its been a couple of months between when it was painted and delivery anyway.

Paint protection has a very high mark up and is probably only useful for people who don't like to clean their car often.

I always wash with pH neutral carwash products. Something gentle that will not strip the wax previously applied. Microfibre mitt, 2 buckets, one to rinse off grit in mit, other to collect suds for wash. Then I clay to remove all impurities before applying something over the top that will trap them in.

I wax after every wash because with two cars to clean its about a month between washes on each at least at my place. I put a sealant on occasionally too. I like the effect a wax adds to shine and beading of water as much as any extra protection.

I rarely polish (annually), but with new cars its not usually necessary for a couple of years unless you have swirls all over your car from not washing as above.

Sounds good to me.

The wax also helps with the cleaning the next time round as the dirt comes off easier.

Also +1 to looking at the finalinspection web site.

Dont forget the beers afterwards :toast:

brentondm
07-01-2009, 04:31 PM
for me its the following:

1.) use the karcher lance with the shampoo pot to put a nice layer of soapy foam all over the car.
2.) karcher clean the shampoo off the car and any easy to get off dirt deposits.
3.) two bucket wash method using a MF noodle mitt.
4.) MF chamois the car (meguiars).
5.) [once a quarter] clay bar the car to clean up the clear coat then lay down a layer of carlack68 + buff off + 6.
6.) [when needed] lay down a layer of meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0 + buff off.
7.) give it a quick once over with meguiars quick detailing (when the cloth starts to not glide as easilly, the wax is running thin, time to re-wax)

dangerous_daveo
07-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Depends how hardcore you want to be about it really... I'd just get some wax on there asap at least. I got some bird poo on mine, and just throwing some water at it washed it off. So at least a good wax, I used some sonax stuff, seemed good. Others say other stuff.

BTW, the dont wash it/wax whatever it is because the paint is 'soft' thats soft from when it was painted, not from when you picked it up. And well, most of the dealers are going to do something to it before you pick it up anyway.

superfly.nn
10-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Look into using 3M Hand Glaze on new cars or resprayed cars.

DMS_Dan
11-01-2009, 10:09 PM
You really need to come to this http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/car_care_products/detailing_clinic-0

You will learn everything you need to to properly care for your car!! All the product is available as well.

check out www.detailparadise.com.au The forums there are really good as there are about 15 pro detailers there all willing to share tips so you get a variety of opinions