PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's KIWI promo thread

schoona
06-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Seeing as we have a great believer in the "Liquid applied KIWI shoe polish for Black Bumpers", I got off my backside today and tried it out. Am happy with the results. Im sure a few more coats (after subsequent washes) will even out the coat and deepen it a bit. Thanks for the heads up mate.

Pics:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/01/Image013-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/01/Image014-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/01/DSCN0095-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/01/DSCN00941-1.jpg

KI11Z
06-01-2009, 04:02 PM
isnt it cool how much of a difference it makes to the look of your vehicle! i used "forever black" from supercheap and i now swear by it!

Golf Houso
06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Looks good, is it a pain to get off it it gets on the paint may I ask?

schoona
06-01-2009, 04:17 PM
isnt it cool how much of a difference it makes to the look of your vehicle! i used "forever black" from supercheap and i now swear by it!

May be a goer as well Alex...this is holding up well so far (about an hour:)) haha

schoona
06-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Looks good, is it a pain to get off it it gets on the paint may I ask?

You may ask Branko.

I started on the rear bar. And had imprintso f the applicator there. SO thought, "alright, I need to be more liberal".

More liberal > dripping.

I just had paper towel there and wiped it off ASAP.

In the end it seemed to give a more consistent finish if I ran the applicator along the whole bumper a couple of times, caught it before TOO much got on the paint, and wiped it all smooth with a paper towel.

I had some get on the paint, and a filthy piece of towel so by the time i got up and got fresh towel and come back, it was on its way to drying, but just kept pulling it back and forth and lifted it. Hopefully that helps :)

Golf Houso
06-01-2009, 04:24 PM
You may ask Branko.

I started on the rear bar. And had imprintso f the applicator there. SO thought, "alright, I need to be more liberal".

More liberal > dripping.

I just had paper towel there and wiped it off ASAP.

In the end it seemed to give a more consistent finish if I ran the applicator along the whole bumper a couple of times, caught it before TOO much got on the paint, and wiped it all smooth with a paper towel.

I had some get on the paint, and a filthy piece of towel so by the time i got up and got fresh towel and come back, it was on its way to drying, but just kept pulling it back and forth and lifted it. Hopefully that helps :)

Ahh ok, good to hear. So basically just keep an eye on it and remove any immediate spillage.

Well keep us updated on how you go, I remember hearing a few of these kiwi converts sounding a bit worried about the heat or rain. Do you believe its affected it so far at all?

Jarred
06-01-2009, 04:37 PM
I did this a while ago on my audi, and the difference is amazing. There are a few people that swear by forever black, or autoglym products, but for $4, I ain't complaining.

It's been about 2 months now, and I'm still happy with the blackness.

re application: I didn't have any issues with drippage. Just push down till some stuff comes out*, and rub it around with the applicator. and repeat. I did 1 generous coat, the moved onto the next bumper did that one, then gave the other bumper a quick going over/2nd coat.

I don't think heat or water has affected it at all. I did mine on a hot day, and washed the car, maybe and hour later, and many times since, with no signs of fade etc etc/

edit: * there seems to be a "click" on the applicator. ie push down and there's a small click and stuff comes out. I would just get push it down firmly, for 1 second, and rub that in, then move along a bit and repeat. Hopefully this makes sense.

schoona
06-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Well i could probably count the time applied in minutes. That said its a stinking hot day up here. Will show the old boy when he gets home about 7. Hopefully still looks sweet and lasts a while/beats the conditions (within reason of course)

VR6child
06-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm gonna play devils advocate. I use autoglym bumper black and as far as looks go I dont think it can be beaten. It lasts okay (six weeks or so from memory) but the look you get is sweet. It doesnt seem to coat the bumper in a film or layer or anything it just sinks in and looks brand new. If youve got a car with a lot of black plastic texture like an early VR6 or a mk2 then it makes the car look a thousand times newer.

Mrk_Mickey
06-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm gonna play devils advocate. I use autoglym bumper black and as far as looks go I dont think it can be beaten. It lasts okay (six weeks or so from memory) but the look you get is sweet. It doesnt seem to coat the bumper in a film or layer or anything it just sinks in and looks brand new. If youve got a car with a lot of black plastic texture like an early VR6 or a mk2 then it makes the car look a thousand times newer.

Just for the thread's sake (And because Mal devoted it to me :D) I'm gonna let you in on one little fact.

...I haven't bought a new Kiwi shoe polish in, ooh, 4 months? That's also probably the last time I gave it a complete ''paint'' (Because that's what it's like, seriously:D) and recently when contemplating doing it again, I honestly could not see any difference whatsoever in old and new(dried new, that is) bumper treatment.

I've heard great things about bumper black; I was going to get some once but found this instead, and considering it's $3.99 in my Woolworths and it gives about four full coats to an early VR6 (Which haven't shown wear in ~4months) I'm definitely sold on this one:D heheheheh.

Mal, I'll bring some on Sunday and show you how I apply it if you like :nana: I'll sooooo run a teaching course.....

schoona
06-01-2009, 08:52 PM
haha...you are such a nice young man Michael :nana:

Couple of things I can see now the sun isnt glaring on it.

- I need to open the hatch next time
- I need to apply the techniqe on the second half of the job, to the whole car
- Be a little more delicate
-Buy more (i used maybe half ???)

Mrk_Mickey
06-01-2009, 09:01 PM
I'll show you on Sunday mate :) Just bring some of it incase I forget!

Jarred
06-01-2009, 10:22 PM
bang for your buck I don't think this can be beaten.

I've seen products liek teh auto glym one, and while it does look great once it's one, it only last's 6 months. sure it's a big bottle. but I don't want to be having to re black my car every 2 months, esp; If I had a black top VR6.

longevity of the shoe polish is really good imo. and for 4 bucks, can't go wrong, even if it's just to try it I reckon.

rayray086
07-01-2009, 12:03 AM
bang for your buck I don't think this can be beaten.

Agreed. I've never used it but have seen Mickey go over it and it works wonders. Easy to apply (doesn't require wiping or spreading - just have to use the applicator) and silly cheap. I'm still using Autoglym's Bumper Black and while it beats Armor All, it's still a little clumsy as it comes in a spray can. It "sticks/dries" on really quickly - let it sit for 5 seconds and it'll be too late to spread.

VR6child
07-01-2009, 09:29 AM
The bumper black that I use just comes in a bottle. I put a bit on a cloth which is easy enough. It's pretty thick so it doesnt drip onto the paint. But ya I agree kiwi is far better value for money. Autoglym would make a killing.

Soundofav6
07-01-2009, 09:42 AM
You guys are serious it doesn't melt in the heat, I swear it made a mess on my car after a hot day.

Jarred
07-01-2009, 10:13 AM
You guys are serious it doesn't melt in the heat, I swear it made a mess on my car after a hot day.

I actually did mine on an hot day. say,. 25 degrees +. I had no issues with spillage, if anything, the "plish" absorbed better..:?

Mrk_Mickey
07-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah I haven't had any issues with heat....I remember what you said about that Louis but luckily I haven't come across any complications :)

KWICKS
07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/01/S783F069015135196L019K200711291034111-1.jpg

Black WOW (http://properautocare.com/blackwow1.html?gclid=CL-fxv7F-5cCFQntegod_ymHDg)

gti
11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
oh Mickey, what have you done!....who would have thought the boot polish would be such a hit! BTW, your car is looking good....and so black where it needs to be! :biggrin: