PDA

View Full Version : Oil for 2.0FSI

docjames
30-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi All.

IS BP Visco 5000 ok for use in a 2.0FSi?

(ie. does it meet VW approved standard?)

Thanks

gerhard
30-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi All.

IS BP Visco 5000 ok for use in a 2.0FSi?

(ie. does it meet VW approved standard?)

Thanks

According to the TDS on the BP website, it's Volkswagen (VW 500.00, 502.00 and 505.00) approved.

So it's a yes.

http://www.tds.bp.com.au/pdf/4042_Visco_5000_09_2003.pdf

docjames
31-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks Gerhard - I couldnt work out what vw number the FSI needed. Cheers

GTI-Pirelli
31-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Check this site for oil requirements, downloadable PDF file giving you all the oils that meet the various VW specs

http://www.my-gti.com/7/volkswagen-oils-50400-and-50700

docjames
31-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for those - so I can do either 502.00 or 504/507?

gerhard
31-12-2008, 05:22 PM

Yes. (padding out to 10 char minimum answer length)

Transporter
01-01-2009, 12:28 PM

In new engine I would always use the latest specs oil unless you're changing the car over every 2-4 years.

brad
01-01-2009, 12:58 PM
In new engine I would always use the latest specs oil unless you're changing the car over every 2-4 years.

Why?
A lot of times the revision to oil specifications is to appease pollution laws or so that longer oil change intervals can be used - neither of these reasons guarantee that the lubricant will improve engine life.

I can't think of any of my friends or acquaintances that have experienced mechanical problems due to using the lowest spec oil recommended by the manufacturer. I'm talking about vehicles with 300,000+km on the original engine.

I'm all for using good product but I can't see the point of using a $70 lubricant if a $30 or $40 lubricant meets the recommendation and no adverse problems arise.

Transporter
01-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Why?
A lot of times the revision to oil specifications is to appease pollution laws or so that longer oil change intervals can be used - neither of these reasons guarantee that the lubricant will improve engine life.

I can't think of any of my friends or acquaintances that have experienced mechanical problems due to using the lowest spec oil recommended by the manufacturer. I'm talking about vehicles with 300,000+km on the original engine.

I'm all for using good product but I can't see the point of using a $70 lubricant if a $30 or $40 lubricant meets the recommendation and no adverse problems arise.

Why? - for more reasons than one and also because the antipollution devices might work longer with it and they might affect the reliability of the engine.

The motor oil is one of the cheapest parts in the engine, what is $40 extra over one year or 15,000km.

Because the car is expensive and oil is cheap and it pays to look after it. :)

And because I don’t know anybody yet with 2005 VW car who would’ve done 300,000km plus and used the cheapest recommended oil.

brad
01-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Why? - for more reasons than one and also because the antipollution devices might work longer with it and they might affect the reliability of the engine.

The motor oil is one of the cheapest parts in the engine, what is $40 extra over one year or 15,000km.

Because the car is expensive and oil is cheap and it pays to look after it. :)

And because I don’t know anybody yet with 2005 VW car who would’ve done 300,000km plus and used the cheapest recommended oil.

VWs aren't unique & seem to be made quite well. I was talking modern engines in general and engine seem to last fairly well these days.

The point I'm trying to make is that the latest engine oil specification might not necessarily be the best specification for the intended use.

From a guy at another forum that sells oil for a living (I assume that if he was recomending the wrong oils he would soon go out of business).

The latest oil specification VW504.00 VW507.00 is the QC1 variable servicing (LL) and is intended for light duty or gentle motorway cruising. ie: ideal conditions & long distances.

oil approval VW505.01 VW505.00 VW502.00 is for QC0/QC2 fixed servicing is for arduous use i.e hard driving, high load, high speed, stop start town driving

Sure, you won't harm the engine using the latest spec, but it isn't necessarily the best solution.

Transporter
01-01-2009, 08:22 PM
VWs aren't unique & seem to be made quite well. I was talking modern engines in general and engine seem to last fairly well these days.

The point I'm trying to make is that the latest engine oil specification might not necessarily be the best specification for the intended use.

From a guy at another forum that sells oil for a living (I assume that if he was recomending the wrong oils he would soon go out of business).

Sure, you won't harm the engine using the latest spec, but it isn't necessarily the best solution.

I wouldn't take the advice from the sales persons to seriously.

This is one of the parameters that you need to look at to know how robust are the additives in the oil and which one would be better.

VW 506.01 HTHS index 3.06
VW 507.00 HTHS index 3.50

I do a little bit of research onto the oils myself all the time and more often I find out that the new oils are better made and more suitable for new engine than the old specs oils.
It is everybody’s choice what oil to put in his engine.
If you look at some other brand than VW you would find out that you can get away with oil specs as low as SG or even SE specs in the cars from late 1990 and at the same manual manufacturer is calling for The Fuel Efficient Formula 5W30 SJ rated oil but saying that you could use SG oil if SJ is not available. If you know something about oils you know that SG oil wouldn't be good for that engine.
Fleet operators like when they can use cheap oil in their vehicles, so I would say that it could be one of the reason why there are some very old oil specs listed in the relatively new cars.
In the case of oils for the late model VW the newer oils are better than the old ones.
Don’t compare the old cars to the new cars, they were driven in different traffic conditions and serviced at different intervals with the 5,000km or 10,000km oil changes.
I’m sure that if you would have asked VW technical department which oil specs is better for your new car they would say the latest one is. :)

brad
02-01-2009, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't take the advice from the sales persons to seriously.

This is one of the parameters that you need to look at to know how robust are the additives in the oil and which one would be better.

VW 506.01 HTHS index 3.06
VW 507.00 HTHS index 3.50

This thread is about petrol engine oils. In particular, the naturally aspirated 2.0FSI. Is their any particular reason why are you quoting diesel oil specs????

Transporter
02-01-2009, 01:33 PM
This thread is about petrol engine oils. In particular, the naturally aspirated 2.0FSI. Is their any particular reason why are you quoting diesel oil specs????

Yes.
Castrol Proffesional Formula 507 oil is also 504 oil for petrol engines.

When you compare old specs of the petrol oils to the new ones you will find the same thing that a newer oils protect engine better than the old ones.

And it was only the example anyway.

But you're right for 3 years or 100,000km you can put any approved oil in the engine you don't need to spend more $. :)