PDA

View Full Version : Cordoba fuel pump

cheapseat
30-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi

My Cordoba stopped on the way home the other night. :frown:
I've got a spark but no fuel.

Pump fuse and relay seem OK, I've got power to the pump.

I've removed the flange from the tank, but I can't see how to remove the submerged pump from the tank.

(Mine looks like #8 in the picture at http://www.vagcat.com/p/B146/919510.png)

Any ideas?

h100vw
30-12-2008, 12:36 PM
They are on a bayonet to the floor of the tank.

Check you have power at the pump before going further. A light bulb or voltmeter.********************* EDIT just read that you have. What did you test it with????

You need to use a load, ie a bulb 20Watts or so. A headlight bulb would be OK for a quick 'splash'. It is possible that you could measure voltage, with no current but the pump wouldn't work.

I had a problem with my Ibiza this year and although the fuse looked fine it had a hairline crack in it and I broke down a couple of times before working it out.

Pull a known good fuse from somewhere else and try it.

Gavin

Golf Loon
30-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Put your location in your profile, then everyone can see where you are and offer local help.

I`m in Sydders and would have a secondhand working fuel pump.

You grab the pump in the tank and turn it anticlockwise. It is held in place with a few nobs on the bottom of the tank.

Golf Loon
30-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Simultaneous post Gav :)

Put 12v to the big terminals on the top of the pump. You should hear the pump start. See if the car then starts. If so, its a relay or wiring issue.

h100vw
30-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Simultaneous post Gav :)

Put 12v to the big terminals on the top of the pump. You should hear the pump start. See if the car then starts. If so, its a relay or wiring issue.

For some reason you use simpler methods for testing things though Matt. Not a voltmeter in sight! ;)

Gavin

Golf Loon
30-12-2008, 12:46 PM
For some reason you use simpler methods for testing things though Matt. Not a voltmeter in sight! ;)

Gavin

Too many years of insufficient tools in someones backyard mate. :biggrin:

cheapseat
31-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the tips chaps.
Swapped out the fuse and no improvement. Then I plugged 12V direct to the pump and it spins.

Put things back together and now it's all working again (?)

h100vw
31-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the tips chaps.
Swapped out the fuse and no improvement. Then I plugged 12V direct to the pump and it spins.

Put things back together and now it's all working again (?)

Life's like that. Don't count on it staying good until you work out what it is.

Gavin

hugh.venables
04-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Got a panic phone call from Bron last Tuesday. The Cordoba died and she'd pushed it into a servo. We towed it home and found the fuel pump had given up. It's not very nice to get out, a bit tight for space and that bayonet in the bottom of the tank is a bit awkward to undo particularly if the tank is nearly full.

The only price I could get on a new one was through Repco for about $600. The part number on the pump itself doesn't work at the local VW dealer. I've got a Mk 3 Golf one from local VW enthusiast Peter Jones (thanks Pete). Both these pumps are fitted into a large plastic rubber mounted housing which bayonets into the bottom of the tank. Although they look similar, the plastic housings and fuel gauges are a bit too different but the actual pumps inside are interchangeable. The Cordoba's housing clips together and the Golf's has 3 screws. The hard convoluted plastic hoses are difficult to remove and refit and originally have crimped type hose clips which are not re-usable.

It looks like it's a good idea to have a spare pump just in case. I cut up the faulty pump to see what's wrong. The commutator has worn thin until the outer ends of the segments have dropped off and jammed the armature.

Anyone got any other ideas on how to solve this?
Hugh.

Golf Loon
04-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Hugh, just use the golf lower part and the cordoba upper part and use some normal small hose clamps.

Should all work as normal.

hugh.venables
05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks Matt. I should have been clearer in my last post that it all worked out fine. I presume you find enough second hand pumps to keep everyone going and that new ones are too expensive for most people. Is there a source of affordable new pumps?
Hugh.

Golf Loon
05-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks Matt. I should have been clearer in my last post that it all worked out fine. I presume you find enough second hand pumps to keep everyone going and that new ones are too expensive for most people. Is there a source of affordable new pumps?
Hugh.

I can get new ones complete with all the housings etc $400 to you.

Or s/h $120. Thyere are enough secondhandies to keep most impoverished seat owners going. :biggrin: