PDA

View Full Version : Early Passat 5 Cylinder swop?

Golf Loon
03-11-2006, 08:49 PM
My mate has an early Passat 1976, 4 cylinder and there is a chance of a real cheap Audi 200 Turbo, 1982, 2.3 5 Cylinder donor vehicle.

Both engines mount longditudinally, does anyone know if the 5 cylinder will fit into the Passat and if so do we need to use the Audi Gearbox?

peter_j_g
04-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Matt,

Whats the details on the Audi 200 Turbo? It might be one of my old cars - these are really rare in Australia. Mine was bought from Lanock motors (Audi dealers at the time) in St Leonards and was metallic red. Initially on a company lease, I bought it when the lease expired, it was such a nice car! Sold it to a guy in Queenbeyan in 1987.

Don't think the 5 cylinder will fit the 76 passat though. I remember that the radiator was mounted on the side rather than in front. Awsome engine when it was on song, but did suffer from lots of lag.

Rgds, Peter

brackie
04-11-2006, 05:27 AM
The 5 cyl motor is too long to fit between the bell housing and the front panel. If you're serious I'll take a tape measure out the Audi 5E in the shed and measure the length of the motor. The 5E motor is lovely...smooth and powerful.

Golf Loon
04-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah I have been researching and apparently it would fit into a 1980 shape passat, but the 76 is too short without serious cutting.

The Audi is very nice, just dated looking. It needs a new auto, but we may go down that road if anyone wants a classic bit of VAG history.

Its White Peter JG and seats etc are immac, but in a crazy 80s check!
Quite well equipped, electric windows, power steer, air, cruise. 5 Cyl 2.3L Kjet Turbo!!
Not bad for 1982!

peter_j_g
07-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi,

Same interior as my former 200T then. It also came standard with two matching cushions in the same fabric! I'd fix it, they are a wonderful cruising car. Bit slow off the mark but once rolling go really nicely. I put bilsteins on mine which made a big difference to the handling. Tried to find a picture of mine last night, but I think they are all in storage back in Sydney.

Rgds, Peter

PS: 2 baby seats would fit nicely in the back seat!