PDA

View Full Version : mk2 gti exhaust upgrades

gldgti
03-11-2006, 06:34 PM
hey guys,
my mates mk2 gti is in need of some new exhaust bits due to rego and we're wondering what sort of pipes you guys are running.

can't afford new headers but we were thingking get rid of everything from the headers back, and install new 2.25" pipe with maybe a hotdog halfway and a rear muffler. what do you guys think?

also, who has a cat (not the feline type) and if you do, is it original. have access to a 2.5" cat from a newish merc, which i thought we could get put in aswell if it was necessary.

cheers

aydan

ausgolfer
03-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Depends what year and engine it had and what market it was made for.

If it's an Aussie delivered 8v car 90 model onwards it'll have a cat and require one. (aussie cars from 86 onwards have to have cats)
My car is a 89 16v intended for the german market, was built to run on leaded hence was built without a cat. But has since been upgraded.

As for pipe size I would have said no bigger than 2.25"

gtipete
03-11-2006, 07:27 PM
hey guys

I'm the owner of the golf in question here....

It's an '91 8v Australian delivered 1.8.

Does anyone know if you can use a cat from another car?

Cheers,

Pete

h100vw
03-11-2006, 07:27 PM
2 and a quarter will be plenty big enough. Mine was that big on my G60. I recommend you retain the rear 2 boxes as a minimum. I had a stainless made which deleted the cat as it wasn't required.

They only fitted the hotdog and back box. I was banned from taking the eldest nipper in the car il it was sorted out. It did sound funking smart though. :0)

I took it back and had a 3rd silencer fitted, diagonal in front of the axle, which did the job.

After a good beating at Castle Combe the baffles unwelded themselves in the hotdog so I had it swapped for a piece of pipe. That was the last trouble I had with it in 3 years.

If you didn't already need the exhaust I would say get the headers as they make a fair difference in power. Taking sliencers out doesn't usually increase power, just noise.

Gavin

Golf Loon
03-11-2006, 08:28 PM
You can use a cat from another car. Make sure you loose the big rectangular silencer (the suitcase) though. It seriously restricts flow and the car will sound and go bettre without it.

twin eng, twin turbs
04-11-2006, 09:23 PM
The Aussie delivered GTI's have a restrictive manifold and single downpipe in comparison to the euro GTI's twin exit manifold and dual downpipe which is worth an extra 10hp+ when coupled to a sports exhaust. Its an option if you wanted a cheaper allternative to extractors. 2" is the best option size wise as you will not loose any low down torque and it will still flow the top end of an 8 valver without serious mods. Go for straight through glass wool packed mufflers, they are relatively quiet down low but give a great raspy note when your up it!

gldgti
05-11-2006, 10:36 AM
so let me get this straight:

> need a cat
> 2.25 good size

that car already has the duel downpipe manifold (same as on my diesel).

what about mufflers? do we really need 2 or will a nice rear box do, with a hotdog? from my experience, a decent length hotdog cuts out a fair bit of volume - that and a rear box seem to work really well on the 2" system in my diesel.

so, one muffler or 2?

evorobin
05-11-2006, 10:50 AM
I originally had a 2.25 straight pipe with a backbox. Bit loud so had a hotdog installed and now it's perfect. Forget the cat.

ausgolfer
05-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately being the car that you have, legally you have to have a cat. They don't restrict flow much, the only reason people whinge about them is a cost, as a high flow stainless jobbie can set u back upwards of $300.

If you do decide to make your car louder with the use of less mufflers, you're more likely to attract unwanted attention, and if they look under your car and don't see a cat you could be up for big bucks in the form of a hefty fine.

Personally I think the induction noise on the vw motors is a better thing than the exhaust note. So I'd like a relatively quiet free flowing exhaust with some nice induction modifications.

gtimk5
05-11-2006, 11:30 AM
And it is very easy to end up with exhaust drone inside the Golfs which is fine for a short time but can grate on your nerves after a while and make driving uncomfortable.

evorobin
05-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Personally I think the induction noise on the vw motors is a better thing than the exhaust note. So I'd like a relatively quiet free flowing exhaust with some nice induction modifications.

I have a nearly new K&N cold Induction set-up for the digi mk2. Only reason it was taken off was the k-jet for the new 16v motor. $100 + shipping

evorobin
05-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Wow nice chief. Anyone got modded KR exhaust manifold or downpipe I'd like to see em!

gldgti
07-11-2006, 08:30 AM
ok so some of you have back box and hotdog, some of you like it really quiet.....

im thinking...

back box

hotdog

cat

2.25 inch pipes
in the reverse order...haahah

gldgti
07-11-2006, 08:32 AM
pete, i reckon you need the cat, for sure, the one we have will be fine. so its just up to you whether you wanna use a second muffler or just have one muffler, hotdog and cat.

i'd say with the 2.25 inch pipe, you'll get maybe a louder note down low but it'd be fairly quiet above 2500 rpm

dvw16v
07-11-2006, 09:34 PM
thats the same size exhaust im running on my car with a 16v kr motor ide advise on putting a muffler up the middle running a hot dog then a backbox right at the end gives ua very loud exhaust note sounds sweet as though i love it but rattles my next door neighbours windows when i start it lol dont like them anyway, hope this helps

evorobin
11-11-2006, 02:02 PM
thats the same size exhaust im running on my car with a 16v kr motor ide advise on putting a muffler up the middle running a hot dog then a backbox right at the end gives ua very loud exhaust note sounds sweet as though i love it but rattles my next door neighbours windows when i start it lol dont like them anyway, hope this helps

Drove the golf home from work late last night (since KR was in) and the wife said it woke her up. She advised I take her car when working late LOL

ausgolfer
11-11-2006, 04:35 PM
I've got the same nosiness with my car and it's totally standard apart from a different rear muffler which isn't that small. j: I think one hot dog a nice muffler at the rear and mabye something small where the suitcase one used to go.

h100vw
12-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Drove the golf home from work late last night (since KR was in) and the wife said it woke her up. She advised I take her car when working late LOL

I got pulled up about the noise whilst parking the Golf up outside my house the other night.

Maybe there is some truth in it being too noisey? ;0)

Gavin

gldgti
01-12-2006, 09:37 AM
i cant believe that you can be too noisey ;-)

.... that is, unless its because you have a fart can on the end of your otherwise standard exhaust.... death to dumpers and cannons!

static1800
19-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Make sure you loose the big rectangular silencer (the suitcase) though. It seriously restricts flow and the car will sound and go bettre without it.

This being the big square fella right at the end?