PDA

View Full Version : ECU Flashing

GeorgeM
02-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Hey Guys

Im new to this forum so firstly id like to say hi from first impressions it looks like a geat website. My main question is are there any ecu flashers out there that allow you to tune your volkswagen. If so what are they worth and where do i get one from. As a side note has any one heard of the company called revo? what do you guys think about them?

s14s2a
02-11-2006, 09:34 PM
No personal experience with a REVO flashed car (they are the only tuner that flashes the MKIV in Aus) but from I see in the states and Europe they are really popular -see GOLF+ magazine/Performance VW

The other options and these are all well represented in the above magazines also are these are GIAC, APR and oettinger these options will all require a replacment chip to be soldered into your ECU and is a simple procedure.

Not sure what else to say mate as I dont want to advertise any particular one more than the other...

Call the australian reps for the products and go from there, as for power differences- the difference is not worth losing any sleep over.

Good luck and enjoy the improvment !

Bug_racer
02-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Giac , for November only $1400+gst . Girraween , near Parramatta .
Revo only just started in Sydney . Oettinger been around for a while but pricing varies from $1500-2200 . I dont know about APR , (waits for Tas to chime in )

Golf Loon
02-11-2006, 11:15 PM
No Chip wars or shameless plugs here guys.
No prob so far, but big brother is watching you.

Bug_racer
03-11-2006, 12:47 AM
There never has been any chip wars . Im happy to compete head to head with APR stage 3 .

Shameless plugs , dont bother me . As long as you know your product and can answer any questions given . Anyone who wants to buy a chip should have the right to ask any question on a forum and get an honest answer from the chip vendor . Im happy to answer any questions .

gtimk5
03-11-2006, 06:19 AM
Giac , for November only $1400+gst . Girraween , near Parramatta .
Revo only just started in Sydney . Oettinger been around for a while but pricing varies from $1500-2200 . I dont know about APR , (waits for Tas to chime in )

No arguments from me. We are all here to sell our wares and make great cars even better! APR do not do "flashes" for the mk4s apart from the R32. It is a ECU removal and chip replacement.
Each chip company has its own merits.
Cheers, Andrew :)

h100vw
03-11-2006, 06:28 PM
APR do not do "flashes" for the mk4s apart from the R32. It is a ECU removal and chip replacement.

Is that not ECU dependant? You can get flashes for mk4 GTIs in the UK. My mate runs one in the UK and it's a pretty early one at that.

@ GeorgeM when you say 'tune' exactly what are you after, a one time job or the ability to change the software yourself?

Gavin

GeorgeM
03-11-2006, 06:52 PM
hey gavin Im looking for a way to modify the map myself

Bug_racer
03-11-2006, 07:04 PM
with what mods ?

h100vw
03-11-2006, 07:39 PM

That'll cost you mate. What experience do you have of this sort of thing?
The best way would be to go for standalone management that has it's own software package.
For example qpengineering in the UK do a plug and play loom with DTA management, you can get the software to modify that yourself.
Do you have plans to go through a series of modifications over time and improve the software as you go.
Gavin

Lima
11-11-2006, 01:19 PM

I had a UniChip piggy back ECU on my Mk4 GTI, which enables some customisation for the vehicle by the guys fitting the chip. While it gave the desired effect of giving the car more power, it wasn't as seamless as I would have liked and I regretted not going with GIAC/Oetteinger/whoever...

:?

GeorgeM
12-11-2006, 02:03 PM
hey guys i just became the revo dealer for sydney. so if u guys are interested let me know, even if its for a free demo

BL33SU
12-11-2006, 06:55 PM
do u work or own vwvillage?

what is the price for the revo flashes

aprr32
12-11-2006, 08:49 PM
I've seen enough Unichip upgrades on Golf4 GTI to know that hanging dog poo on the rearvision mirror gives better power and driveability.

Bug_racer
12-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I've seen enough Unichip upgrades on Golf4 GTI to know that hanging dog poo on the rearvision mirror gives better power and driveability.

LOL I couldnt have said it better myself

Lima
13-11-2006, 05:36 PM

Haha, it wasn't quite that bad. Honest! But I'd never do it again, nor recommend it. j: