PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox variant for GTI Polo

Jmac
21-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Hey guys ive have a Polo in desperate need of a Transmission as it had a haemorrage. Now my thoughts had me pointing at an 02J from a Golf or A3. There is some differences, the 02J 98-01 the gear selector and housing is different, but 01 on ,the housing looks the same. The Polo Housing is also 02J but must be from 01 on, catch my drift?? What do you think? The pre 01 is a no go but what do you think about the latter? I am going to try and get a look at 1 morra to size it up anyone else had a go at this????? Not many 02R Polo boxes around here or overseas to be honest and there is nothing salvageable in this tranny.
Interested to hear some thoughts, im still looking and thinking and like i say will be sizing one up morra. Before Ratios are mentioned i know they are different
Cheers
Jmac

Golf Loon
21-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Could you re-use the housing Jimmy?
I have rebuilt a couple of G4 20VT boxes with the guts of Cupra and passat 16v boxes.
The ratios seem to work well and internally the boxes are the same.
The 16v boxes are strong enough to hold onto the turbo motor too.
I have a couple of the 16v boxes still.

h100vw
21-12-2008, 06:35 PM
The Polo box has some holes in it Matt. Diff bolt let go.
Gavin

Golf Loon
21-12-2008, 06:40 PM
The Polo box has some holes in it Matt. Diff bolt let go.
Gavin

That ruins a damn fine plan then.

Jmac
21-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Yeah it does man , it let go in a blaze!. Im hearing you about the internals and agree mate. The pre 01 Boxes are slightly different but the 01 - onwards seems like the thing, ill try and get a look at one morra to size it up cause as you well know the 02R is like rocking horse here and overseas.
I know your brain is ticking good onyas
Jmac

h100vw
21-12-2008, 07:52 PM
That ruins a damn fine plan then.

Always have a plan B.

Gavin

Jmac
30-12-2008, 04:11 AM
This Box has given me the run around. Been talking to a friend of family in Uk. He gets nearly ALL of the gearboxes from the euro stuff that goes through my fathers mates wreckers. Mentioned fitting an 02J to the Polo and he hit the roof. He reckons the 02J is the base number for the box but casing numbers vary from model to model. Looked up the casing numbers and is right about that. I then wondered why i couldnt get a 2nd handie from the UK and seems the 1.8T has only just been introduced, they have been running the 16v 1.6 in their Gtis, which makes the Polo 02R box pretty scarce which answers that one. Only answer in this case is exchange unit.
With more time i will be researching this for sure and would love to see how different the 02R and newer 02J really are and most likely will be mount hole configuration, and to finish my ramble the 02J internals are im sure the same and would have been great if my casing wasnt like a TBag.
Cheers
Jmac

JCM308
13-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Will the 6 speed off the MkIV Golf GTI fit on the polo? I remember a previous thread that some people were talking about this as an option.

Golf Loon
01-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Does the POLO GTI have a sensor for the speedo in the box? Or does it run off the crank angle sensor?

The TDI Caddy boxes dont have the speedo sensor hole in the gearbox, but they mount up the same and use the same linkages.

I also have a six speed one sitting here at the workshop.

Who wants the first 6 speed polo??

Sharkie
01-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Does the POLO GTI have a sensor for the speedo in the box? Or does it run off the crank angle sensor?

The TDI Caddy boxes dont have the speedo sensor hole in the gearbox, but they mount up the same and use the same linkages.

I also have a six speed one sitting here at the workshop.

Who wants the first 6 speed polo??

What are the gear ratios like on the TDI Caddy box? I don't want to have very short gears in the Polo. Other than that I'm keen to know how much this is going to cost ?

Golf Loon
01-02-2009, 01:16 PM
The ratios will be longer when being pushed by a petrol motor.

I have a TDI box in the Rocco with a 20VT petrol engine and it can do 160kph in 3rd.

This 6 speed was destined for Ibeezers 20VT Cupra, but the side bracket is wrong and it has no speedo hole. We ended up putting a TDI box in from a UK spec 1.9TDI Golf. Difference over the Cupra petrol box is phenomenal, fewer gearchanges and revs higher in the gears.

I`d want $2k for the 6 speed box. It has 30,000ks on it.