PDA

View Full Version : colour coded bumpers and skirts

grechygti
02-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi guys,

Can anyone reccomend a panel beater that has colour coded the rear and side skirts of the current model gti. I was told by one pb, that it was a tedious job due to the grain in the plastic and the final finish would not match the upper half of the bar. But l'm sure there are pb's out there that have half an idea and have already done them. if you can disclose cost, this would also be of help. I'm in Melbourne and any help would be appreciated.

Cheers..

GoLfMan
02-11-2006, 09:09 AM
the finish should match the upper half of the bar, using filler or build up primer it should smooth out the grainy plastic. maybe get in touch with Volkspower or an independant VW garage and they could put you onto a VW friendly pb.. :)

gtimk5
02-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Was no problem for my backyarder bodyworks guy to fill the grain. The finish is the same as the rest of the car. Cost? $150!!!! Bodyworks, expect to pay $500 for the skirts and rear. Better check out my GTI when I get there in a few weeks Cheers, Andrew:)

grechygti
02-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Hey Andrew, would like to see the finish on your car when you are down next. There is a cruise l am organising if you're keen on the 19th Nov. If you're down then, would be great to catch up and see the car then.

Surprisingly, l was told by VW approved repaier not to do it as the plastic was a grain finish. He said eventually it would come off if painted. I know there are plenty of guys out there that have colour coded without incident. It all comes down to prep work. Andrew, did they remove the bumper and skirts from the car to spray??

qsz
02-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi Guys,
I used to own a paint shop. You can do it but it must be done with the right products so it won't come off/crack. Don't go cheap on the work or it will look avg.

Simon

PS. Andrew give me a call when you come over so we can catch up one night for a little run ;)

gtimk5
02-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I got a new rear bumper section so the car wasn't off the road for any period of time after waiting sooooo long for the thing! I removed the skirts and took em all to the guy. He initially quoted $350 each for the two GTIs we did here but I think he stuffed up when we went to pay. $300 for both of the cars! :? He was happy with that amount tho.... He did use all the special primers and paints too.
The one problem we had when refitting the white ones backside was that we had the mounting clips painted as well and it made it near impossible to clip back on the vehicle. Soon fixeed tho.
I will be travelling over to Melbourne on the 23rd unfortunately so I wont make the pevious weekend run. Will be doing the 25th Nov get together though. Hope to see you there? Cheers! :)
Have you found the pics of them on the forum??:)

Lima
20-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey Andrew, would like to see the finish on your car when you are down next. There is a cruise l am organising if you're keen on the 19th Nov. If you're down then, would be great to catch up and see the car then.

Surprisingly, l was told by VW approved repaier not to do it as the plastic was a grain finish. He said eventually it would come off if painted. I know there are plenty of guys out there that have colour coded without incident. It all comes down to prep work. Andrew, did they remove the bumper and skirts from the car to spray??

Recently had this done on our GTI, you can see the pics in this thread:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=2626

We were put on to a panel beater by Lennock, the Canberra VW dealer, and we got it done pre-delivery to save the hassle of going without a car while it was getting done. It meant we had to wait an extra week for the car, but very glad to have done it that way.

Cost was under $900 and unlike some people who are reporting that the grain was filled I'm pretty sure our guy sanded it back. He was good though, he said it would be difficult, I said can I be a pain in the arse, and he understood where I was coming from. Either way, the result is first class!

itgwv
20-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Hi guys,

Can anyone reccomend a panel beater that has colour coded the rear and side skirts of the current model gti. I was told by one pb, that it was a tedious job due to the grain in the plastic and the final finish would not match the upper half of the bar. But l'm sure there are pb's out there that have half an idea and have already done them. if you can disclose cost, this would also be of help. I'm in Melbourne and any help would be appreciated.

Cheers..

Thought about it to but like that the plastic gives the car some robustness. Have you done any mods yet grechy?:cool:

gtimk5
21-11-2006, 06:48 AM
My GTI has been painted now for over 12 months and the is no sign of any lift. The only drama with the paint on the rear bumper was due to a moving telegraph pole!!! j:
I removed the parts myself to get them done. Wasn't any great drama, just refitting the rear can be a pain. Cheers, hope to see you this weekend?? :)

grechygti
21-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Minigolf....great example of what l'm looking at when it comes to colour coding. I noticed you did the front. I was actually only considering doing the rear bar the way you did yours along with the side skirts. Very nice indeed. IMO, should have been like this from factory.

Itgwv.... gidday there, no mods to my car yet, and l say yet as l'm only keeping her for 4 years and you rarely get any financial reward after spending big $$$$ in the first place. Its only for personal enjoyment. But the urge may get me yet:) The car only has tinted windows and a roof. Just enjoy driving it at this stage and taking her for very spirited runs up the mountains on the occasional Sunday.

I do however want to get a stubby antenna as the oem is too big. Any connections with this stubby from here on this forum would be appreciated.

Cheers guys..;)

Subie25L
21-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Anyone have a link to some pic's of a red car with the skirts and bumper painted. I thought i saw some weeks back, a link, but i cannot find it now.

gtimk5
21-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Here goes again. Couldn't find it either! Cheers! :)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/04/100_0497-1.jpg

Subie25L
21-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks ! :cool:

I just re-read my post from before. I really need to use punctuation to make more sense

itgwv
21-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Well then grechy i urge you to at least do the ECU reflash!:cool: Oh and i've put eibach's and 18's on it since the last time you saw it. Though since i've driven an R32 and the exhaust note has got me thinking. Only thing i miss about the rex.;)

Lima
22-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Here's a couple more that I'd stored away helping me make the decision on doing this.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/11/Mk5GTIcolourcoded03-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/11/Mk5GTIcolourcoded04-1.jpg

grechygti
22-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Well then grechy i urge you to at least do the ECU reflash!:cool: Oh and i've put eibach's and 18's on it since the last time you saw it. Though since i've driven an R32 and the exhaust note has got me thinking. Only thing i miss about the rex.;)

Is that you Rich?????:?

itgwv
22-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Sure is Mike! :D Wondering how long would take for you to figure it out.:cool: