PDA

View Full Version : The Window Regs curse of the Mk3

Golf Loon
01-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Had to take a Mk3 door apart today so just thought I`d show those of you who dont know what the issues are with the window regs in all Golf 3s.

http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/22/thumbs/winder2.JPG (http://img8.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img8/22/winder2.JPG)

The plastic wheel looses its edge and so doesnt act as the pulley anymore. This is the stage when they click, but still just about work.

http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/22/thumbs/winder3.JPG (http://img8.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img8/22/winder3.JPG)

The plastic slider bit had broken its lugs so it was not going up and down with the cable. It was not attached to the rail anymore.

The window was loose inside the door.
The motor was fine, its just the plastics that let them down.

Anyone had any other issues with them and how many regs have you guys replaced?

rayray086
01-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Great post Matt. I actually don't know whether my non-functioning power window is due to the motor or just the plastics breaking down on me. Will check soon, and thanks for helpin' us out today. The orange display looks pretty awesome :D

BlackVr6ix
01-11-2006, 09:15 PM
I have replaced all 4 in my vr6 and am about to replace the front 2 again very soon. all 4 initially had failed in different ways!
on one the metal fork that catches the lug attached to the cable had bent away ,another the pulley had disintergrated, another had the plastic plugs at the end of the cable crack into pieces which sometimes caused the cable to stick and the last had the lugs rounded off the cog.

MK2 GTI
01-11-2006, 10:06 PM
I've replaced way too many. Same as MK4 and new beetle. We replace em with the upgraded metal kit. Hopefully not MK5 aswell. We get too many customers loosing faith in VW because of stuff like this.

Golf Loon
01-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Its stoopid innit. It would cost bugger all extra to make a few of the plastic clips metal and the failiure rate would be halved. I reckon someone needs to turn up some replacement metal wheels.

Golfer
01-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Hey guys, i started a thread on the problems i was having with my RR power window, and haven't yet managed to get around to trying to fix it, but i was thinking it might be intellegent to ask about how to remove the rear door panels BEFORE i go blindly attacking it (i haven't bought myself a service manual yet - DOH!) any step by step or pics would be GREATLY appreciated :) Once in there, well that's another issue.........

rayray086
02-11-2006, 03:10 AM
I've taken off the front door panels before, and the only screws holding onto them are behind the interior handle which you would have to take off first. Connector clips border around the panel, and it's just simply using a tiny bit amount of force to dislodge them (they remind me of bullet point crimps).

Hmm, it's late at night at the moment (well, really early in the morning) so I can't take pics of them. One thing that'll help taking the thing off easier would be to unscrew the door lock so it's out of the way. As with all small things, keep them stashed somewhere safe. Don't want those to go missing!

That's just my experience with the door panels anyway, but I'm sure someone else more experienced than I am with their Mk3 would be a more reliable source! Nonetheless, just wanted to voice what I've experienced with playing around with my Mk3 :)

DubSteve
02-11-2006, 07:31 AM
I've replaced way too many. Same as MK4 and new beetle. We replace em with the upgraded metal kit. Hopefully not MK5 aswell. We get too many customers loosing faith in VW because of stuff like this.

THis is so true. My back right window does not work at all on my golf for some reason not sure what it is. They are so expensive to fix. The guy that owned the car before already got the driver door fixed and it cost him $400 to fix!!!!!!!!!!!n: :mad: :( He had to replace the motor mechanism.

golf3
02-11-2006, 07:45 AM
I have read things about class actions before, but it's been sooo long since the mk3 was made!

BlackVr6ix
02-11-2006, 11:18 AM
I got my replacements from ebay from the states, the newest 4 cost me $300 delivered to my door, and they got here in like 4 days.

DubSteve
02-11-2006, 12:08 PM
I got my replacements from ebay from the states, the newest 4 cost me $300 delivered to my door, and they got here in like 4 days.
Thats alright was that for 4 did you say or just the one?

peedman
02-11-2006, 12:11 PM
I would also be interested. Have you got a sellers link?

BlackVr6ix
02-11-2006, 12:24 PM
that was all four, i'll see if i can find his link.

BlackVr6ix
02-11-2006, 12:31 PM
just went through my paypal history, ended up being $238USD, so about $335 as the time. Email James jfm****ens@cox.net and he "should" be able to help you out. Be aware that they aren't OEM VW parts but they look and feel exactly the same.

DubSteve
02-11-2006, 06:47 PM
just went through my paypal history, ended up being $238USD, so about $335 as the time. Email James jfm****ens@cox.net and he "should" be able to help you out. Be aware that they aren't OEM VW parts but they look and feel exactly the same.

Hmm doesn't sound to bad will do. Cheers for that BlackVr6ix

BlackVr6ix
02-11-2006, 07:34 PM
no worries mate, gotta look out for for my fellow mk3ers

peedman
02-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Yeah thanks for that info. I ordered three regulators off the fella total was $215 AUD. Can wait!!!

BlackVr6ix
02-11-2006, 08:02 PM
i was stoked when i found him, very very cheap and it arrived VERY fast

SOHC
02-11-2006, 09:46 PM
this problem seems occurs very much... cost me 80bucks i think, and I was lucky enough to have the wire jumping out... which cost me a lot of effort ...

Bug_racer
02-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Just be careful with after market window reg kits . Some dont last very long . I never had a problem with my VR6 , I think (I may be wrong) what weakens the window regs is closing the door with the window down ???

Golfer
09-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Hey guys, it was pi$$ing rain today, and the air con needs regassing, so i was using my drivers window to defog the car, when the whole thing went CLUNK, and dropped down, leaving me soaking wet.

I stopped and tried to push the window up with no luck, but i could hear the motor whirring away quite happily, but nothing was really happening.

Finally with a bit of fiddling and manual manipulation, the window went up (very weakly) and locked into top position. Now terrified to touch the power window button again. Wanted to check (better to be certain) that this is similar to the horror stories of MK3 windows here, and that i'm gonna have to replace the window regulator...

HELP!!!!

(BTW if anyone has spare aftermarket regulator lying around from this guy in the states, i have never used ebay b4, and don't have a credit card, so makes it kinda hard to just grab one off this dude...)

gtimk5
10-11-2006, 06:21 AM
Sounds typical of the regulator cables!! I have aftermarket ones here. PM me if you are interested. Cheers, Andrew :)

Golfer
10-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks andrew, i've sent a PM :)

Bora Sport
10-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I have had this problem with my 97 VR6 and also my wife's 95 Vento. It always seems to be the drivers side rear that goes first. It happened on both the above cars. Then the passenger side rears went. In every case except the Vento drivers side front window (different problem) I repaired the mechanism with a zip tie.

What happened with mine was the plastic lugs that hold the cable joiner in place broke off and that meant when you wound the window down it wouldn't wind back up because the cable just pulls through. It will wind the window down though because (apart from gravity) the joiner gets caught going back in the opposite direction.

What I do is replace the cable joiner in the correct position and then put a small zip tie around it and secured around the back and that holds it in place and presto it works again. I have had to repair one a second time because as someone mentioned earlier in this post the metal forks were bent out. I just bent them back into place with pliers and re zip tied it.

I suppose some of you are thinking it sounds a bit of a back yard fix but I can't claim credit for it. My mate who is a qualified mechanic worked out the fix for me the first time and since then I have fixed 4 windows using this method and they are all still working fine some years later. All it takes if the effort to pull the mechanism out and put it back and one zip tie.

DubSteve
11-11-2006, 09:10 AM
I have had this problem with my 97 VR6 and also my wife's 95 Vento. It always seems to be the drivers side rear that goes first. It happened on both the above cars. Then the passenger side rears went. In every case except the Vento drivers side front window (different problem) I repaired the mechanism with a zip tie.

What happened with mine was the plastic lugs that hold the cable joiner in place broke off and that meant when you wound the window down it wouldn't wind back up because the cable just pulls through. It will wind the window down though because (apart from gravity) the joiner gets caught going back in the opposite direction.

What I do is replace the cable joiner in the correct position and then put a small zip tie around it and secured around the back and that holds it in place and presto it works again. I have had to repair one a second time because as someone mentioned earlier in this post the metal forks were bent out. I just bent them back into place with pliers and re zip tied it.

I suppose some of you are thinking it sounds a bit of a back yard fix but I can't claim credit for it. My mate who is a qualified mechanic worked out the fix for me the first time and since then I have fixed 4 windows using this method and they are all still working fine some years later. All it takes if the effort to pull the mechanism out and put it back and one zip tie.

Hmm thats very interesting. But I guess that would only be working if thats the problem, or is that the first thing that usually goes???

Golf Loon
11-11-2006, 12:28 PM
I repaired one with a zip tie and it still works. you need to take the trim off to see what the prob is.

william
11-11-2006, 12:39 PM
you guys would be happy to know that the mk5s have a differrent system after yrs of having the same plastic clips and then selling repair kits for mk4 they have changed to metal but now have a problem with door skins that they didnt loctite from factory gotta love vw:)

DubSteve
11-11-2006, 05:37 PM
you guys would be happy to know that the mk5s have a differrent system after yrs of having the same plastic clips and then selling repair kits for mk4 they have changed to metal but now have a problem with door skins that they didnt loctite from factory gotta love vw:)

Far out you think that they would have learned by now the problems and then fixed them. Geeze Louise n: :mad:

dj_daniel88
21-11-2006, 01:03 PM
I was reading this thread a few days a go, hoping that I don't run into any of these problems... Sure enough, just yesterday the driver side power window fails. I'm not sure if it is the regulator though, because when I try to wind the window down I hear it click twice, as if the motor is trying to turn, but then thats it, nothing happens. This leads me to think it may be the motor itself? I hope not, because I'd hate to imagine how much VW would charge for a new one! :S

What do you guys think?

Golf Loon
21-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Could just be jammed. Its quite difficult to change just the motor. Easier to change the whole mechanism.

peedman
22-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Do you know whats great about trying to fix the power windows yourself?

a) You discover that ur regulator is broken
b) When you try to put in the new regulator you discover that the motor is also gone
c) The quick fix by the previous owner was to whack three blocks of wood to hold the window up :o

Lifes great :mad:

Golfer
27-11-2006, 04:48 PM
I cut the cable on the old regulator, removed the motor then bolted the cables together where the bottom of the door pull bolts in... I couldn't get the blocks of wood to work!!!! j:

The new regulator is here!!! Yay, now i just have to get the reinstallation right. Thanks Andrew, big kudos!!

I'll keep 'yas' posted...

Cheers,
John :cool:

DubSteve
27-11-2006, 05:02 PM
My back right hand door window isn't working either but that doesn't really bother me. I only use the front windows so its OK :)

Golfer
27-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah Steve, mine's not working so well either (RHR)... Explained it in another thread. I tried lubing up the rails, but it didn't help. Must be the motor. Hoping if i ignore it it won't bother me, but i hate having something not working on my car!!!

gtimk5
28-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Just pretend its a 2 door golf! Thats one thing you dont have in them j:

DubSteve
28-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah Steve, mine's not working so well either (RHR)... Explained it in another thread. I tried lubing up the rails, but it didn't help. Must be the motor. Hoping if i ignore it it won't bother me, but i hate having something not working on my car!!!

Yeah same as me, I hate having something wrong and in need of fixing.

DubSteve
28-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Just pretend its a 2 door golf! Thats one thing you dont have in them j:

I wish I could lol.j:

KI11Z
29-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Both my rear windows are shagged! So I've just removed the rear seats ;) lol

Golfer
29-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Hmm... Like ur approach KI11Z j:

I got my new regulator for the front on monday and slapped it in last night when i got my car back from C.A.M. Goes up and down and seals nicely, only problem is it's pretty noisy, kinda makes a grinding noise, not real loud, but not very VW...

Any ideas?

DubSteve
29-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Hmm... Like ur approach KI11Z j:

I got my new regulator for the front on monday and slapped it in last night when i got my car back from C.A.M. Goes up and down and seals nicely, only problem is it's pretty noisy, kinda makes a grinding noise, not real loud, but not very VW...

Any ideas?

Try lubing it maybe the time that it hadn't had any lubrication since it was broken give it a squirt.

peedman
29-11-2006, 04:14 PM
I made sure when i changed mine that I whacked plenty of grease between the motor and the regulator, and on the regulator tracks themselves. Try spraying some lube on the window seals, could it just be rubber rubbing?

BlackMajix
28-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Ahhhh I have been cursed :mad:

The rear drivers side window failed last night as I was driving a friend home after midnight. So there I was in the wee small hours on the side of the road trying get inside the door to push it up manually.

The motor seems to be pulling away happily so I guess it's this mysterious "regulator" of which you speak that has failed.

I've had a look behind the trim in the light of day but I still can't really see what it is that needs replacing :? and how I'm supposed to access it to change it.
Any photos you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated

Re

Golf Loon
28-01-2007, 07:13 PM
You have to take the mechanism out to attempt repairs.

10mm socket set and a lil bit of patience.

If you want to run out to Camden, I`ll show you how to dismantle the sucker.

monkeysrus
29-01-2007, 07:05 AM
It is best if you use stainless cable ties or they will break again.

I have used metal hose clamps on mine. I made a slot with a dremel so i could clamp around the guide and runner in the wire. Will never escape again!!

Golf Punk
07-02-2007, 06:13 AM
I just picked up my first Golf over the weekend... as I was driving home for the first time I put the passenger side window down and, low and behold, it didn't go back up without a lot of coercing!!
The drivers side is beautiful but looking back at the service records it was only replaced last month... could be time for the passenger side now!!

I'm happy I found this thread, i'll be telling the mechanic to look at the pulleys before he throws in a whole new motor, etc!!

Oh yeah... other than the window, i'm loving the Golf!!

ScienceVR6
07-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Yeah, when i bought my VR6, the passenger rear side window didn't work, but it was fixed by the dealer, the next day the drivers side rear window stopped! I've worked out how to make it go up with a sort of code involving going up, going down, going up agin ect. It sucks. good to see im not alone.
Burwin VW quoted me $132 for a new one.

DubSteve
07-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Burwin VW quoted me $132 for a new one.

For a brand new mechanism thats pretty cheap. We are getting told $400 for it.

Tim
07-02-2007, 01:59 PM
every time a passenger in my car operates the electric windows I charge them 50 cents

DubSteve
07-02-2007, 02:37 PM
every time a passenger in my car operates the electric windows I charge them 50 cents

HAHAHA I like that maybe I should do that aswellj:

Golf Loon
07-02-2007, 09:46 PM
I had a car in today with a broken drivers window, the cable had snapped.
I didnt have a drivers side one, but I had a passenger side unit with a dodgy motor.
I managed to swop the cable over between the units with a bit of persuasion and cutting one groove in a plastic bush.
Window works great now. :D

Golf Punk
08-02-2007, 10:52 AM
I had a quote today for $460 for a whole new system, installed.

Is this about standard or should I be looking around elswhere?

I work in the Rosebery/Alexandria area if anyone can recommend someone in this area!

Thanks

Tim
08-02-2007, 01:34 PM
if youre a DIY kinda person i reckon its worth getting your hands dirty. If you own a mk3 u may need the practice anyways :P

Golf Punk
08-02-2007, 06:00 PM
That's not a big problem... where's the best place to pick up the parts?

monkeysrus
09-02-2007, 06:54 AM
If its the usual cable guide snap you dont need parts. Just a thinking cap.

Get some stainless cable ties.:)

Golf Punk
09-02-2007, 08:15 PM
If you own a mk3 u may need the practice anyways :P

Having owned mine for about 6 days now you're filling me with confidence, haha.

What else am I looking out for? Major things??

auto-union
06-02-2008, 09:41 PM

Had a second hand motor/reg fitted o/s/r to my 2.0 LTR GL,
it lasted 2 days!!! guess I deserved it ! more info on the upgraded metal kits
please. how / where can I buy a couple,? problem is - I`m in sydney.
thanks heaps in advance.

1972 AUDI 100
1996 GOLF GL

1978 GOLF -- previous -- r i p :???:

AusScare
10-03-2009, 12:03 PM
The VR6 I'm buying at the moment didn't pass its rwc because the drivers side window reg is broken and it won't go down. (does it even have to?)

Where is the cheapest place to get this done in Brisbane, and possibly before this weekend?

I called the VW dealer near me and they quote $280 for the new part, then he said it wouldn't be too hard to fit yourself (current owner can do this), or for them to do it would be about $100 an hr (1-2hr job apaz)..

They have the part in stock as well.

The_Hawk
10-03-2009, 12:25 PM
You can import them much cheaper, although you need time to do that. Not sure of many/any places in Aus that stock the window reg on the cheap.

Whatever you do, don't bother with a second hand one to save money as it will just break again. It's well worth getting a new one.

AusScare
10-03-2009, 12:31 PM
You can import them much cheaper, although you need time to do that.

So from GAP, it would be the second on this list, US$100, plus postage (?), any idea how long they take?

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Golf/Body/246/4

V®6
10-03-2009, 12:32 PM
My passenger side window motor died this past weekend, So now both front motors have been replaced. Can't wait for the rears to go now :brutal:

peedman
10-03-2009, 12:34 PM
It used to be $70aud each one from ebay.com until the dollar went bust.

V®6
10-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Dumb question but I am still going to ask it, is there any way to replace the parts on these so they never break again apart from installing hand winders?? Metal equivalents?? Group buy on billet alumnium parts?? Motor tweaks??

Surely there has to been some DIY cure all for these by now.

AusScare
10-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Does anyone know of the DIY install guide for a window reg, I don't really want to spend $210 for the dealer to do it. Or cheaper places in Brisbane.

This look ok? http://www.gtishrine.com/windowreg.php

Golf Houso
10-03-2009, 01:10 PM
It used to be $70aud each one from ebay.com until the dollar went bust.

Quite right, I got both fronts and a passenger rear, but now have a faulty rear driver reg :duh:

The_Hawk
10-03-2009, 02:13 PM
So from GAP, it would be the second on this list, US$100, plus postage (?), any idea how long they take?

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Golf/Body/246/4

That looks like them, but US$96.80 @ 64c in the dollar = AU$151.25 + shipping

It's an awkwardly big package so I would guess shipping would be relatively expensive, but should come in under the VW Spares price. I get most stuff from them in about 4 days, so they ship pretty quick. Also gotta say that their shipping rates are basically what they get charged.

Fitting looks easy enough, but to ensure I don't break anything I have had Golf Loon do the couple I needed done. ;)

PassatB6
10-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Ha! Never had one go in over 300,000k and 13 years!! 1.8CL, way to go! :nana:

AusScare
10-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Got a quote from prestige and performance at $220 for the part, and $120 for install. $340 all up :( I was told it'd be about $250 tops grr.

Mind's Eye
10-03-2009, 04:07 PM
i got my drivers one done by loon just over a week a go :)
then it decided not to work on the weekend, gave me a heart attack!
its going again though

Golf Loon
10-03-2009, 07:51 PM
i got my drivers one done by loon just over a week a go :)
then it decided not to work on the weekend, gave me a heart attack!
its going again though

30 days warranty mate ;)
Plus it only cost you $150 fitted. :biggrin:

Mind's Eye
10-03-2009, 09:08 PM
haha lets all hope i dont have to hold you to it
the springs are looking good though :bigok: lovin the low lifestyle :driver:
rain or shine ill wash her this weekend and get some pics up, now that i got my little emblem. just need to fix up the wheels!