PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

rayray086
01-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering about the brakes on the Mk3 Golf - CL/GL models and the VR6.

I know one difference is that the CL/GL models carry the 4x100 bolt pattern for wheels, and the VR6 has the 5x100. What other differences are there?

I'm just in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. The reason behind this thread was that I want to fit these 5 stud rims, and I'm hesitant on redrilling them to fit 4x100. However, I'm trying to look at other options available to me, one including changing the brakes to VR6 spec. Advantage of this would be the amount of stopping power I would have, but I think the current brakes on my GL are already pretty damn good, so I'm caught between spending more money on better brakes that I might not necessarily need, or messing with the wheels by redrilling.

Any suggestions? Cost is not really a big problem, but of course, I'd like to spend as little as I need to. I'll be keeping the car for many years to come (love the Golf :)) so maybe bigger brakes might come in handy ;) But I don't know... Any input would be great on this matter!

SOHC
01-11-2006, 04:52 PM
well...i'd go for the brakes, however i've seen 4x100 Vr6 style BBS wheels, not redrilled, but wonder would the brakes fit in the stock wheels...

golfaholic
02-11-2006, 02:19 PM
excuse my ignorance... but when you say redrilling them... do you mean the wheels? if so, how do you go about doing that?

Golf Loon
02-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Hey Ray, dont butcher the wheels.
I have 2 complete VR6 front hub assys with calipers, discs, the lot.
The rear brakes are the same on the GL and the VR6 but have a different disk 5 or 4 stud. 2 New rear disks wouldnt be much.

Golf Loon
02-11-2006, 06:33 PM
excuse my ignorance... but when you say redrilling them... do you mean the wheels? if so, how do you go about doing that?

Check out the wheels and tyres forum ;)

peedman
02-11-2006, 07:44 PM
So he'd need VR6 rear hubs and rotors to change the rear is that all? He got quoted $120 per rim to be filled and redrilled apparently. Might be cheaper to do the conversion so it seems.

Bug_racer
02-11-2006, 10:08 PM
I did a 5 stud conversion on the seat , didnt cost too much but your best to do it when u need discs and pads

link : http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=1087

rayray086
02-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah, roughly about that figure:

$85/wheel for filling and redrilling
$25/wheel for centre shims as the centrebore (70mm) does not match the Golf

By the way, it's the BBS RS wheels that Alex (intensem1) are selling on the forums at the moment (5x114). So if I do go for the VR6 brake conversion for the 5x100s, I'd still need to get them redrilled, though cost will be lower.

Golf Loon
02-11-2006, 11:10 PM
So he'd need VR6 rear hubs and rotors to change the rear is that all? He got quoted $120 per rim to be filled and redrilled apparently. Might be cheaper to do the conversion so it seems.

Just Rotors. Everything else on the brakes is the same.
Car will stop better too with VR6 fronts ;)

golfaholic
04-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Check out the wheels and tyres forum ;)

heh thanks mate... checked it out. Didn't know you could do that.