PDA

View Full Version : Interior protection

woofy
15-12-2008, 10:08 AM
HI I looked into this before getting the RS, but have been flat out and not chased it up.

Basically I normally would protect the fabric parts of my cars with something like the auto verson of scotchgard and then use a good leather protector on the leather bits.

The thing is that alcantara seems to be a mysterious fabric which some people say to use just normal stuff on, but it seems alcantara by design already has protection built into it...any ideas there?

I was going to just scotchgard the black inserts, but then saw warnings about the seat heating, again wouldn't the wires etc by covered, so as long as its a light mist, should be fine.

And lastly, the leather...the seat leather appears to be possibly coated in which case leather cleaning/protection would be wasted...or does it just appear to be. The steering wheel leather seems different, so is probably fine to use that on.

In any case, the scotchgarding will need to be done soon before the seats get too dusty...the leather can wait until it needs it.

woofy
15-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Anyone?.........

brad
22-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Anyone?.........

FWIW, I've never bothered Scotchguarding my cars. I hate the smell & the seats never feel "natural" to me.

I've got a 7yo & an 11 yo and despite their best efforts to trash the car, the interiors still look OK at sale time.

Leather? The only leather interior I've ever had was on the Captiva & it was very low rent and not worth lavishing time on. The guys on the forum I look after (C&I) use some special formula - they are quite anal about and clean with some special mixture & add special creme. The thought of scotchguard on my steering wheel....eeewww.

woofy
22-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Leather is quite easy to look after, just wondering whether its normal leather or the coated stuff that is more like vinyl to look after.

7 and 11 is a bit older than the toddler I have lurking so looking for something more vomit proof.

DanSA
23-12-2008, 09:07 AM
I've got a 5 & 6yr old (pigeon pair) who do there best to drag sand, muddy shoes etc into the car.

I find a good regular vacuum and Meguiars interior detailer works a treat. No armorall for me..horrible shiny, sticky stuff...

woofy
01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Well to illustrate the point, my 9mth old just spewed probably close to a litre of milk everywhere today, only a bit got on the floor mat and the carpet mainly due to running down a belt that hangs there, the rest ended up in the seat itself and on the mat under the carseat. This is a front facing seat, she has never thrown up before, but its the first time we went up in the mountains with her facing forward before....it ended badly. So I think I might scotchgard the rear carpet anyway, and the black fabric parts of the seat, from where she is, it would be hard to get the alcantara...

vw poster
01-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Well to illustrate the point, my 9mth old just spewed probably close to a litre of milk everywhere today, only a bit got on the floor mat and the carpet mainly due to running down a belt that hangs there, the rest ended up in the seat itself and on the mat under the carseat. This is a front facing seat, she has never thrown up before, but its the first time we went up in the mountains with her facing forward before....it ended badly. So I think I might scotchgard the rear carpet anyway, and the black fabric parts of the seat, from where she is, it would be hard to get the alcantara...

Look here for more information...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)

woofy
21-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Anyone have an idea about what bits are and aren't leather....from the looks of it, the side of the seat isn't, and possibly the back.