PDA

View Full Version : Another RS

wombatoutofhell
15-12-2008, 08:58 AM
I've allready posted in the newbies section but I thought I'd throw some more detail in here. Just in case everyone missed it I'll repeat it.

Hi all-I'm a recent convert to VAG products with the purchase of a Skoda. I have to admit I would never have even thought about a Skoda (I remember the 70's and 80's) and I was looking for a small wagon along the lines of a Peugeot 307, Mazda 6 etc when I stumbled on a yellow 2007 Octavia RS wagon. I ignored it for a while (because of the badge and it was a little more than my budget) but kept coming back. I did some research and couldn't find any article anywhere where someone found any major problem-most journos spoke very highly of it. I decided to have a test drive and was hooked. I decided the budget could be stretched. The car was a bargain-to me at least.
That was a month ago and I still haven't got it due to issues with finance. That's all now sorted and I should be picking it up Tuesday. I am planning a drive to Ballarat to try it out! I'll do a proper post with a bit more about the car and my early impressions in the Skoda thread next week.
This is an early car which was bought in before official imports as an example to show Skoda Australia what they were getting and it was also used as a press car (Compliance date is August). As a result it's not quite to the Australian spec. It hasn't got rear electric windows (not a problem-I dont ride in the back), it hasn't got rear parking sensors (I think I'll live, I've gone 20 years without so far) and the roof rails are black rather than silver (which I think looks better on the yellow car). It has 12,500km on the clock. For those minor inconveniences I paid $31,000 drive away (List price is $39990 + on road costs which bring it to almost $43000). I'm pretty happy with that. It's also cool every now and again to see it in articles online-it has a different rego number but I did a search and it's the same car. The black roof rails give it away.
Still planning on picking it up tomorrow pending signing the loan contract today. Failing that-Wednesday.
The only problem I can see is servicing-the closest Skoda dealer to me is Ferntree Gully. It's also the closest VW dealer so that's no help. I'll live with it I guess. I'll probably take it back to Bayford Skoda in Preston where I bought it. Anyone know what their servicing is like?
I'll post later in the week what my early impressions are.

woofy
15-12-2008, 10:11 AM
There is a dealer in Richmond now, just off the Monash, so probably a bit easier to get to. I haven't been to Preston, but the Richmond guys there left the FT guys for dead who were hopeless.

DanSA
15-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Welcome mate , good buy! and nice to have the black rails with the yellow - Greg will be jealous!

geoff_gti
15-12-2008, 11:23 PM
G'day Wombat! Saw your post on ECCA and was going to point you here but seems you've found your way :)
Well done on finding such a good deal!

gregozedobe
22-12-2008, 08:50 AM
...... and nice to have the black rails with the yellow - Greg will be jealous!

B@stard !!!! :brutal:

(but I haven't given up on that particular project, I'm still hopeful :) )

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll love yours. I've just come back from a "pre-Xmas Rellie Rallye" around rural victoria (visiting olds and siblings and out-laws). My yellow RS performed magnificently, and manged to swallow huge amounts of stuff that my missus was convinced was "necessary", even all the additions the MOL gave her in Portland. Our 3 dogs were a bit worried they would end up tied to the roof racks, but it all went in somehow.

All the extra weight dulled the performance a bit, but "Barney" (as in the yellow ice cream confection called a Barney Banana) still went very well indeed.

Now to keep my fingers crossed that we don't receive any "fan mail" from any of the boys in blue (or the huge number of "safety" cameras) that we passed along the way.

Take care all if you are driving anywhere, we saw a few loonies with a death wish in our travels.

FJ Steve
22-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Congratulations.

We had an Octavia Wagon (TDI) as a loan car last week. I was pleasantly surprised, and will ensure that it remains on the list of possibles, when the .:R is garaged in 2.5 years time.

wombatoutofhell
02-01-2009, 11:14 PM
7 weeks and 4 days after I bought the car, I finally have it! And it's good. I went for a bit of a drive in the Dandenongs and found it handled the twists and turns easily at speed (nothing illegal of course) Engine is willing, gearbox feels great. I am going to have to watch my right foot a bit though-this could get expensive! The power going to the front wheels is also going to take some getting used to.
I'm a little surprised about the ride. With sports suspension and 40 profile tyres, I thought it would be a little on the harsh side but it's actually very good. I drove some pretty ordinary roads today (including gravel) and had no problems.
Not much I don't like so far-tyre noise is a little high but that's not really an issue. Turn the radio up and it goes away. The kids say the back seats are hard and are complaining about the lack of electric windows in the back-turning the radio up fixes that as well.
So as of now all is good. I'm driving up to Ballarat Sunday-we'll see how it goes on a trip.

DanSA
03-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Enjoy the road trip mate, they are great long distance cars. We did Adelaide - Phillip Island in a day, me and the kids. Averaged 7.1L/100km too..:driver:

wombatoutofhell
09-01-2009, 05:12 PM
End of week one.
When I traded in my previous car (VX Berlina Wagon, V8) I was pretty sad-it was a damn good car to me. I was looking forward to the lower fuel bills and having a bit more fun driving (auto's are so boring-even V8's) but thought I'd miss the old girl.
1 week later and I haven't missed it at all (except maybe the roar from the exhaust under hard acceleration!). The RS is brilliant.
I did 660km in it last weekend. Saturday, I had a drive to Portsea for a fun run which had a fair bit of stop/start driving as it gets pretty crowded down the peninsular at this time of year. On Sunday I went to see my father in Linton which is about 40km out of Ballarat. The car was great-fast and comfortable. The 7.6 l/100km wasn't bad either.
Driving to and from work this week has been a blast-as alot of people are still on holidays, the roads aren't busy which means a little fun can be had. Economy has suffered a bit though-but fuel used driving hard in the Skoda is still less than fuel used on the highway in the Berlina.
What has the car done wrong? Not so much the car but me-I broke the handle that pulls the boot floor up to access the spare wheel. Opps. I've glued it back together for now-we'll see how it goes.
I was washing it and thought I'd broken the rear wiper when the blade fell off. Such a simple little clip-I'll be more careful. All is well.
Tyre noise is really my only real complaint about the car itself. When the time comes I might look for something quieter-although I love the Michelins grip. Possibly the best tyre I've driven on. Apart from the noise.
What's it done right? Plenty of room for wife and kids. Gets looks wherever I go (might be the bright yellow as much as the car). Can drive for hours without getting a numb arse. Climate control is the best I've come accross. Loves going around corners enthusiastically (I'm trying to find out how well but I think I'll run out of brave pills before I find out). Pink Floyd and Queen sound fantastic. It's a car for many occasions-a hot hatch when needed, a relaxed tourer, a family wagon. A wagon that drives like a sports car? Go figure.
Obviously I'm loving this car. I think the high point came last night though. I bought the Skoda without my wife seeing even a picture of one. I was worried she might not like it and up until last night she hadn't ventured an opinion and had only driven it once so I wasn't sure what she thought. "Maybe we should look at another Skoda for me". I guess that's a good opinion. She's actually out in it now-leaving me with her Suzuki. Hopefully they'll bring the Fabia out-that would suit her perfectly. With luck there'll be a Fabia RS around when they come here.

woofy
09-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Pretty much my findings so far....although I test drove the Dandenongs on New Years day with my wife and 9mth old.....ended badly.....first time our little girl had ever spewed more than the little baby ones.....on the bright side, it held on well, and I was still being restrained despite causing that.......oh well, next I'll go it alone.

gregozedobe
09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
The Octys are a great car - I think just about everyone in Oz that has bought one has been very impressed. I wish more people would realize how good they are so they can sell a few more.

drbass
10-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi wombat,

I see you're a cool runner as well - it did seem a familiar name ;-)!

Anyway, I'll be at Princes Park tomorrow morning, most likely the 10. If you're there maybe we could catch up ... .

Enjoy the Skoda - nice cars, driven a couple in Germany.

Seeya,
Michael

woofy
10-01-2009, 04:38 PM
The Octys are a great car - I think just about everyone in Oz that has bought one has been very impressed. I wish more people would realize how good they are so they can sell a few more.

As part of my job, my car goes everywhere and has distinctive plates....let alone the bright blue it is. I think the dealers were ecstatic that I bought mine, as its getting seen all over melb, and a few people I know are going to see them about a new car next week that I've talked to, so they should be happy with me.

wombatoutofhell
10-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi wombat,

I see you're a cool runner as well - it did seem a familiar name ;-)!

Anyway, I'll be at Princes Park tomorrow morning, most likely the 10. If you're there maybe we could catch up ... .

Enjoy the Skoda - nice cars, driven a couple in Germany.

Seeya,
Michael
See you there Michael-I'll probably run the 5km as I'm injured and not running alot at the moment. Hoping for around 22 minutes. I'm easy to pick out-either look for the yellow Skoda or I'll be wearing a coolrunning singlet and a Cr cap with "Wombat out of hell" embroided on the back. What handle do you use on CR?

As part of my job, my car goes everywhere and has distinctive plates....let alone the bright blue it is. I think the dealers were ecstatic that I bought mine, as its getting seen all over melb, and a few people I know are going to see them about a new car next week that I've talked to, so they should be happy with me.
I show mine off and sing it's praises to everyone that shows even a slight interest! I was very happy with the dealer as well (Bayford in Preston) so am happy to recommend them.

Found another around the corner from me-the owners of the Cafe at Lysterfield Lake Park have a black Ambience. I am surprised by the attention it gets. Last weekend after a barby, I went back to the car to find a young bloke (younger than me anyway) looking all over it. He jumped when I unlocked it-he hadn't seen me coming.
Everything I read and hear about the Octy is good-I can't understand why they aren't selling better. Maybe we all need to cruise more and show people what they can do.
There's no Ausrtalian Skoda group on Facebook-might be time to start one I think.

mrx
11-01-2009, 12:09 AM
I've seen a few more around Perth lately. Like about 4 in the last week (nearly as many as I've seen in the last 6 months!).

woofy
11-01-2009, 11:37 AM
There's no Ausrtalian Skoda group on Facebook-might be time to start one I think.

Not a bad idea actually...

drbass
11-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi wombat,

Same as here, drbass.

Good to meet you this morning.

Nice yellow, I have to say. Won't lose that one in a carpark. Glad you like the car, and hopefully you'll get that rattle under control.

Seeya,
Michael