PDA

View Full Version : MK5 GTI Sound system

ILOVEGTI
12-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Hey guys,

What do you think of the MK5 standard gti sound system? Crap? OK but not work replacing? Awesome?

dangerous_daveo
12-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Compairing it to what?

I mean I found it (same in the TSI Jetta) good for a stock system, but I still went out and spent a fortune on a new aftermarket one.

ILOVEGTI
12-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Well this is my situation. I think it's pretty average but only have a budget of about $1000 including installation to work with. Now my mate reckons that for only $1000 it's better to just stick with what I have. So i'm trying to decide if it's worth changing or not.

GTI_racer
12-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Check out this thread

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=12612

the audio quality is better than the stock head unit and for the price its hard to go past it.

dangerous_daveo
13-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Just get an amp and a sub. No RCAs so you need some tricky wiring. Basically the sub will fill a void.

That or save the money and get a chip.

$1k tho... Mr Ruds save the economy money? :-p if so, you should spend it!

Mr İharisma
13-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Only "weak" parts of your stock system are:
*The processing and power i.e. Source
*Lack of low reproduction

Easy way to fix this could be to:
*Get a 4ch amp to run front spilts with some grunt and bridge rear for a small sub
*Get a small subwoofer
*Organise a processor or new source.

Easy fixed. Do it right, do it once. If you save up all the money you need and do it right the first time, you will save having to folk out another $500 here and $200 their...

ILOVEGTI
13-12-2008, 10:06 AM
I already have an amp as standard so will I be able to hook another amp up to that and run the sub of that amp?

Something like this Charisma?

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PXE-H650&lang=en&tab=D

Mr İharisma
13-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah I forgot you could have the factory amp in the Gen V.

Yes that Alpine processor is what I meant. Their are a lot better ones out there for a bit more money but it just depends on how serious you want to get. The companies who make serious ones are:
Alpine as above - it basically is like having a 3 band para EQ ( as found in $100 Pioneer decks ). Once you have saved your changes it is hard to adjust again without doing it all.

JL Cleansweep - uses a CD to make your EQ flat... good but not much control

Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.1 - good entry level processor, gives you some decent options. 3sixty.2 though is like having a 31band 1/3oct EQ. You can even adjust individual HP / LP / Bandpass etc. Controlled off a Palm though via bluetooth and costs about $1k.

Best of the lot so far from what I have heard is the Audison BitOne. Allows alot of adjusting even after you have completed you set up and spec wise is brilliant, as you would expect :biggrin:

But yes you could start with a sub and amp and see how you go as the decent processors start at about $500

ILOVEGTI
13-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for your help.

What do you think about this one?

http://www.reqsound.com/

Could be a little hard to get in Aus though but seems cheaper and has good reviews from what I have read.

Mr İharisma
14-12-2008, 07:59 AM
That looks interesting. Only problem with that is you will have to like the way the rest of your system sounds i.e. anything above 200Hz. If you want to play with that you wont be able to.

Also there is a lack of any HP filter for the front channels. For the price though it may be worthing having a look at from a bass perspective, however it will do nothing for the rest of the flaws at the other end....