PDA

View Full Version : New MK1 Golf owner

foc64
07-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi All, my name is Chris and I'm in the south of Tassie and have just become the owner of a Mk1 golf 4 door - Woo Hoo!!. It's been a long time between VW's as my last one was a 1964 1300 bug about 26 years ago.

I have a few small items to attend to prior to registration, the most pressing being to replace the motor - apparently they don't run too well with 1 buggered cylinder (not sure of the exact problem - yet).

This leads me to a glitch - I can't open the bonnet - pull the bonnet pop catch, the cable works and slides the catch but no-go on the bonnet releasing - any one have any pearls of wisdom on this topic? I'm reluctant to attach the problem with brute force/hammers/explosives etc just incase I damage my grill, all suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Chris

gtimk5
07-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. :)

Its possible to open the bonnet using a screw driver through the VW badge on the grill while applying slight upwards pressure on the bonnet. Then you can check out the problem there.
3 cylinders eh? Should be very easy to diagnose. Was it a local car??
Cheers, Andrew :)

foc64
07-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. :)

Its possible to open the bonnet using a screw driver through the VW badge on the grill while applying slight upwards pressure on the bonnet. Then you can check out the problem there.
3 cylinders eh? Should be very easy to diagnose. Was it a local car??
Cheers, Andrew :)

Andrew, thanks for the fast response, tried the screw driver trick but to no avail but after liberal amounts of CRC and a little jiggling the bonnet came round to my way of thinking. In answer to you're question, yes the car is a local and has been sitting in the open for around 16 months at Pontville in some ones back yard, the same person also had a type 3 fastback - now at Hounville I think for a complete rebuild but he still has a Super beetle.

The plan is to rebuild the Golf mechanically with an 1800 8V motor and suspension from my Fathers Golf (your old red one) and get it running and road worthy.

I'll post a few pics of the new beast some time this week time permitting.

Chris

Jarred
07-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Always good to have a few more mk 1'ers join!

Good luck with the conversion, there are plenty of pearls of wisdom on here should you get stuck!

Jarred

racerrachy
08-12-2008, 07:25 PM
yay another mk1 owner! upload some photos so we can have a look :)

mikinoz
08-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Welcome. Hope that tas can have some drives again soon!