PDA

View Full Version : MK4 GTI Misfire

MK2 GTI
30-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey all,
Got a MK4 GTI thats not firing on 4 cylinders, we changed plugs and coil packs, thats not the problem. Is there any other common problems that it would be? Thought i would ask before i get deeper into it.

syncro
31-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Coil packs.

Golf Loon
31-10-2006, 07:15 AM
H T Leads?

syncro
31-10-2006, 07:18 AM
H T Leads?
You mean connectors? The leads last forever. (They're copper)

h100vw
31-10-2006, 07:37 AM
You need to scan it with VAG-COM the amount it can tell you is amazing.

The only thing I have heard that fails all the time apart from coil packs is the water temp sender. Check you have a green one fitted the black ones are the duff ones.

Gavin

Bug_racer
31-10-2006, 08:11 AM
You need to scan it with VAG-COM the amount it can tell you is amazing.

The only thing I have heard that fails all the time apart from coil packs is the water temp sender. Check you have a green one fitted the black ones are the duff ones.

Gavin

Vag com doesnt pick up misfires on a mk4 Golf .

The ignition module is on the side of the airbox near the MAF . Disconnect it and clean the 2 plug terminals and put it back in . Sometimes that fixes the problem . If it doesnt work try and find another one to swap it with

MK2 GTI
31-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Syncro- Already changed coil packs, thats not the problem.

Golf Loon- Are you getting this mixed up with a 1.6/2ltr? Unless you mean those leads to the coil packs.

H100VW - Already changed the black temp probe to green a while back, I will scan it tomorow when i have time to look.

Bug_racer - I will try that.

Thanks for the info guys. I will look at it tommorow when i have time, i just thought there might be a common thing apart from coil packs.

syncro
31-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Can you isolate any particular cylinder?

MK2 GTI
31-10-2006, 07:37 PM
i havn't even looked at the car yet, i will tommorow though.

h100vw
31-10-2006, 08:04 PM

Is that a feature of the NA ECU cos I have seen it on 1.8Ts.

Gavin

william
31-10-2006, 08:08 PM

it does as has built in ociliscope

h100vw
31-10-2006, 08:11 PM

it does as has built in ociliscope

I think he may mean as a fault code in it's own right.
Gavin

MK2 GTI
03-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Bug Racer- You were right, it was the ignition control module, runs fine now! I tell you what a MK4 GTI with a KO4 turbo and a GIAC chip goes good as! I wanna get a Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with the same mod now lol.

GTIputih
04-11-2006, 01:17 AM
How do you know it is a misfire? Sorry for the silly question.. *newbie*

mikinoz
04-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Fuel pump and/or filter?:/

MK2 GTI
06-11-2006, 10:20 PM
How do you know it is a misfire? Sorry for the silly question.. *newbie*

Had no power, Engine was running really rough, you can feel it in the exhaust that its out of beat. You could unplug one of the coil plugs and it would still run the same. But its all fixed now.

Bug_racer
07-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Is that a feature of the NA ECU cos I have seen it on 1.8Ts.

Gavin

I am yet to see it on a DBC 1.8T
DBW 1.8T's have it though . :)

Bug_racer
07-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Bug Racer- You were right

I love hearing that :)

DIDZ
09-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi Guys,

I don't know if it's a misfire or what, but sometimes the car just stalls (which is usually the case) when I've stopped.

This morning though, actually scared the fark out of me. Was accelerating then it jerked like I had got crunched from behind, totally losing power then regaining again.

Any hints ?

Langers
17-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi Guys,

I don't know if it's a misfire or what, but sometimes the car just stalls (which is usually the case) when I've stopped.

This morning though, actually scared the fark out of me. Was accelerating then it jerked like I had got crunched from behind, totally losing power then regaining again.

Any hints ?

As usual, get the car scanned for codes. It's pointless speculating over the internet without at least a DTC readout.

JayBee
08-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Hey guys. Have a similar problem but not sure if it's really a misfire or tuning problem.

Bought my Mk4 Gti with a powerchip already in it (don't think it really goes that much harder)
Anyway when you change gear and put the throttle down relatively quickly it coughs quite badly then comes good and accelerates through the gear no problem.

It will also show the same symptoms if you are crusing say in 4th and put the pedal to the floor quickly it coughs then seems to clear itself and continue on.

I'm not sure if it's a powerchip problem, general tuning issue or plugs or similar.

I have alot of experince with heavily modded cars, in particular EDIT's and ECU's however my understanding of the Powerchip is it not individually tunable on a dyno, more a plug and play one size fits all setup.

I am hoping it's a plugs or the like issue, but if anyone has experinced similar or knows what it is would be a big help.

Not sure if fuel economy is up, or it's generally high due to the Powerchip. Getting 500 k's av around town with realtively sedate driving.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
JB:)

gpk_gti
10-02-2007, 08:30 PM
hmmm ,I had a similar problem about 8 months ago.
Idle at lights was a bit jumpy SOMETIMES.would drop to 300rpm,nearly stall and idle ok.vag-com showed no faults.
driving back from n-syd one day and died.would not start or idle.got it towed to mechanic,and he sent me straight away to electrician.Found that MAF was dead.ordered one from bosch melb and fitted within 4 days.When I went to pick up ,still wasnt running good.
After some serious sweating ,we found that the plugs had been fowled from maf not working and car running rich.Quick clean of plugs(changed to new ones next day) and car ran fine after that.

h100vw
10-02-2007, 08:34 PM
If the MAF has died, unplugging them usually gets the car running again. I have experienced a duff MAF on an A4, the car seemed to run OK but was no faster after it was chipped.

I was supplied another MAF that was really bad and the car barely ran at all. Fitting a brand new MAF had it going like a train.

Some odd issues occur with those MAFs at times

Gavin