PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 Design

rayray086
30-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Hi everyone,

Just been looking into the Mk3 design history; I was curious after Golf Loon pointed out to me that the older Mk3 models had rectangular side indicators, whereas the newer Mk3 models had oval side indicators.

Are there any other subtle design and mechanical differences between the older and newer Mk3 models? What ARE the model designations for the older and newer Mk3 anyway?

Also, I realised some overseas models have their side indicators on the bumper, not the side panel like ours (well, mine at least). Are there other differences between their Mk3 and ours?

And, on the topic of side indicators, can those with rectangular side indicators replace them with the oval side indicators?

I just find this quite interesting, and being a proud owner of a Golf, I thought I should know more about it :)

Ray.

golf3
30-10-2006, 02:14 AM
In Australia, we received the "euro" spec editions, although sometimes going through the vw parts catalogue, my car was thrown together with left overs...

The US market received their own models, with the side indicator on the front bumper, and none on the quarter panel, they also received a more emissions specific motor, the 2.0L ABA...

Although, the European market had a lot more options with TDI's, 1.4, 1.6L, 16v's...etc...

In Australia, we got 5 engine codes; 2E, AGG, ADY, AAA, the TDI one, whatever it is... (I think thats it)

The TDI and the VR6 had "plus" suspension with 5 lug hubs and bigger brakes. But from the 9/94, there was a suspension change, with different springs and shocks...

Side indicators changed to look a little more modern, but I prefer the square ones as they follow the boxier shapes, compared to the oval ones suiting a rounder mk4 better...

Extra things like side skirts and darker tail lights on the newer mk3 2.0L kept the model popular... And, in the early models, there were no rear speakers, they "grills" were actually solid, and have no holes...And I have a blue interior which means i need to order new ones from Germany, which i will do for DOVW....

One of the coolest things i ever saw in a mk3 was a set of blaupunkt door trim additions that were labeled "bass booster" or something. They replaced the little pockets in the doors to provide a better sound from the door speakers...

syncro
30-10-2006, 07:39 AM
US models were made in Mexico for the entire Golf 3 production run as far as I know. That's why they are different.

rayray086
30-10-2006, 11:26 AM
That's great info guys, thanks.

It's odd with the rear speaker issue... I have the grille that covers the enclosure, but there's no speaker nor wires connecting from the headunit. Oh well, I guess that means when we do want to fit in rear speakers, we can just put them into the holes that have been already cut out of the trim.

golfvr6
30-10-2006, 12:20 PM
US models have different bumpers - different crash regulations - so thats why you see them chopping their 'euro' front spoilers to makem fit; they also have requirements for side marker lights in the bumpers, thus no guard blinkers

as for other golf mk3 variations.... from what i can remember :
- pre-96 models have the black top bumpers and black door trim; post 96 have colour coding
- pre-96 - have spoiler with integrated brake light; post 96 have separate spoiler and interior brake light
- post 96 - vr6's lost the wheel arches
- i *think* pre 96 gl's have side skirts whilst post 96 do not
- rectangle to oval indicators changed in 96
- there were a batch of 200? colour concepts vr6 with the 5 spoke BBS wheels
- just about the only options on the original vr6 were sun roof, 'sports' recaros and leather
- some really early vr6's even came with front fog lights and/ or euro lip spoiler
- cl's dont have the skirts

SOHC
30-10-2006, 01:36 PM
thanks for the infos guys. what I kinda hate the the original tail lights, very orange side indicators, very boring grill... but everything else i loved it pretty much. btw i seen haven't seen Mk3s around with the real glove box, not because we have airbag, but I seen a lot back in other country with airbag and glovebox?

Bug_racer
30-10-2006, 02:57 PM
I'll try and correct a few assumptions :

Colour concepts had heated seats as well as trim differences
Im yet to see a mk3 with factory sunroof
The tdi engine code is 1z
Tdi is all over the place halfway between cl and gl in terms of spec , they were only 4 stud
Only VR6 and mk 3.5 cabriolets had tinted tail lights
No mk3 that I know of came with factory foglights
Euro lip spoiler was only 94 model and is NLA if anyone asks
Vr6 had 8 speakers I think gl and cl had 4 ?

golf3
30-10-2006, 03:20 PM
I assumed the TDI had 5 spoke, from what i can remember they have the 02A trans with 4 cylinder bell housing..

rayray086
30-10-2006, 06:26 PM
That's so weird. I've got myself a 1996 GL model, and from the comments made here, it looks like I've got bits from both pre-96 models and post-96 models.

I've got the black bumper and side plastic trims, spoiler with integrated brake light, passenger-side airbag w/o glovebox, front component speakers (tweeters in dash, woofers in door), rectangular side indicators, but standard Enkei 14" alloys (I think they're standard/factory options?), but contrary to what golfvr6 had down, I had no side skirts :(

Tim
30-10-2006, 06:35 PM
VW are like that.
They build cars with whatever bits they have laying about at the time i think.
Ive never seen a 96 with rectangular indicators tho. Is 96 your build date or your compliance/rego date? not a bad thing tho. I think the rectangular ones are 10000000x better anyways

bombsquad21
30-10-2006, 09:36 PM
My 97, has oval indictors of course...i like them better cause i'm fitting mk4 clear ones. I fitted vr6 tails too, my bumper tops are body coloured and my side skirts are black. My third brake light is inside behind the glass and there are fog light wires but nothing to plug them in to. Also the warning chimes are a lot less annoying than the ones in my brothers 95 GL. I've got rear head rests too, he doesnt.. Heres a (poor mobile phone quality) pic of my car..

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/10/DSC01459-1.jpg

Golf Loon
30-10-2006, 10:43 PM
I think post 96 GLs have the sideskirts, whilst pre do not. I have a 97 GL with skirts.

I think the TDI engine code is 1Y. They are strange. They say GL, yet have wind up windows, CL trim and no extras. They do have a cable shift gearbox and a hydraulic clutch. They cost more than a VR6 when they were new, i think the trim was to keep prices down.

Colour concepts did have heated seats and nice recaros that have colour concept written on them. The seats actually fold forward, even on the 5 door! They had different sidetrims and 6 spoke BBS wheels. I reckon the normal VR6 mags look hotter though.

You could change the front guards ray ray to fit oval indicators, but its not worth the effort.

DubSteve
31-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Compared to my 94 vr6 my new 95 vr6 is heaps better but I don't see any changes really.

moto
31-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Speaking VR6s - I dont know about other models ..
Around 1994 there were changes to the air intake bits, ignition electronics and brake disk sizes. On the cusp of 95 & 96 there was a change to a different ABS and different throttle body. Anything else?

rayray086
31-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I think post 96 GLs have the sideskirts, whilst pre do not. I have a 97 GL with skirts.

That's really strange, as the bottom of the side of my car isn't smooth in the way that you think a car without side skirts would like (does that make sense?)
Here's a pic anyway:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/10/side-1.jpg

You could change the front guards ray ray to fit oval indicators, but its not worth the effort.

Yeah that's a bit of a bother to do. Thanks for the info.

Golf Loon
31-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Your car has no sideskirts Ray Ray. I reckon its made in Germany 1995, complianced in Australia 1996. Some of that year model have spent 11 - 13 months on the journey! The two plates are on the n/s strut tower under the bonnet. The rippled hard wearing paint is normal. It underbody protection, probably hides stone chips.

syncro
31-10-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't think that there is any '96 GLs here.
They just sit around for years until someone buys them, then they put the plate on.

golfaholic
31-10-2006, 09:14 PM
That's really strange, as the bottom of the side of my car isn't smooth in the way that you think a car without side skirts would like (does that make sense?)

ah yeh, mine is like that too! does anyone have a golf that has the foglamps in the front? or did they just never come with them? because Ive been trying to look for reflectors to fill in the space next to my indicators... cant seem to find any.

Golf Loon
31-10-2006, 09:23 PM
ah yeh, mine is like that too! does anyone have a golf that has the foglamps in the front? or did they just never come with them? because Ive been trying to look for reflectors to fill in the space next to my indicators... cant seem to find any.

You can get aftermarket reflectors and foglights from the us or the uk, but they cost a bit, as they all fall out and break. Try ebay.

DubSteve
01-11-2006, 12:30 PM
You can get aftermarket reflectors and foglights from the us or the uk, but they cost a bit, as they all fall out and break. Try ebay.

I have been looking for front log lights the clear ones to cover the fronts. Anyone have any idea of how much they cost to do a complete install?? Including the euro switch?

Golfer
01-11-2006, 05:38 PM
MK3VR6, probably try the hella worldwide site, they have a daydriving light conversion kit avaliable that looks fantastic. Pretty xe though, and you'd have to import i think...

bombsquad21
01-11-2006, 08:57 PM
This makes me consider an idea i've been toying with. As the fogs are so expensive, i have thought of deleting that front area completely. Have a smooth front bar like some of the American Mk3's. I would then rewire my indictors to the front parker bulb in my current headlights. I've got angel eyes at the moment that are kinda the same as Mk4 looks.

rayray086
01-11-2006, 09:10 PM
This makes me consider an idea i've been toying with. As the fogs are so expensive, i have thought of deleting that front area completely. Have a smooth front bar like some of the American Mk3's. I would then rewire my indictors to the front parker bulb in my current headlights. I've got angel eyes at the moment that are kinda the same as Mk4 looks.

So the indicators in your aftermarket headlights don't work at the moment? It sounds reasonable to do that, as you can definitely make use of the indicator bulbs in those headlights. I favour the large foglight-indicator cluster though, it's just one of the defining features of the Mk3 Golf in my opinion.

Any pics of your aftermarket headlights bombsquad21?

Golfer
01-11-2006, 10:48 PM
I have been eyeing this set off for a while, but carmate don't offer any idea who the manufacturer are. I really like the style though. What do y'all think?

http://carmate.com/Images/BodyKitImages/VWGOLF397AEHL.jpg

And i agree, the 'over the top' massive indicator/fogs cluster just makes the Mk3, don't lose it or you'll just end up with a plain-jane Mk4... :confused:

rayray086
02-11-2006, 03:02 AM
Found these on ebay, American stockist:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-96-97-98-VW-GOLF-MK3-HALO-PROJECTOR-HEAD-LIGHTS-LAMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33716QQihZ017QQite mZ270045928118QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

Oh, which adds another question to the thread!

I read somewhere that some parts on the American model may be different to the European models, not just in terms of design, but when it comes to fitting parts and all. Anyone know anything about this? Besides the fact that American models are LHD while our ones are RHD...

syncro
02-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Well they're LHD headlights anyway, but a lot of parts are different as the US Golf 3s were made in Mexico. Don't bother!

golf3
02-11-2006, 07:14 AM
You may annoy people with the LHD lights as they're aimed differently (or so i'm told)

tmtuning have harness' and stuff so it should hook up to our (correct me if i'm wrong) "euro" harness' if need be...

If you are concerned, spend the extra cash on the hella celis units, they make the OEM stuff after all!!!

syncro
02-11-2006, 09:21 AM
You may annoy people with the LHD lights as they're aimed differently (or so i'm told)

You'll get defected for sure.

Golfer
02-11-2006, 10:08 AM
While those ace headlights look identical to the ones i found at carmate, i wonder if they are LHD, because carmate is based in villawood in sydney... surely they wouldnt go around selling LHD lights in oz? Maybe i am very naiive?

Golf Loon
02-11-2006, 10:45 AM
... surely they wouldnt go around selling LHD lights in oz? Maybe i am very naiive?

Sure they would. Do thay have an australian standards stamp on em. I doubt it. Most of the fancy taillights and headlights you see are illegal and will fail rego if the guy is picky.

golfvr6
03-11-2006, 06:54 PM
I have been looking for front log lights the clear ones to cover the fronts. Anyone have any idea of how much they cost to do a complete install?? Including the euro switch?

try US ebay - there is (used to be?) a HK mob selling fog lights that replaced the entire indicator 'blank'.

isn't the 'euro' switch - your light switch that pulls out to turn the fogs on

anyone know whether the 94-95 vr6's have the wiring setup to plug in the fogs?

golf3
03-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Here is an install for your information... I couldn't get a photo of behind the switch without messing around too much. But the black one goes to the back of the switch for sure! Otherwise, it appears to be a simple relay, with a fused power source, and grounded directly to the body...

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5584/fogkm7.jpg

syncro
03-11-2006, 07:59 PM
anyone know whether the 94-95 vr6's have the wiring setup to plug in the fogs?

Probably does.
Look for some grey/yellow wires in the engine bay.

wakdog
09-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I'll try and correct a few assumptions :

Colour concepts had heated seats as well as trim differences
Vr6 had 8 speakers I think gl and cl had 4 ?

Hmmmmm well do you know to what extent the trim differences on the colour concepts are? I have a red one and it has the heated seats but the whole interior is black (no red anywhere but the seats still have the colour concept badging on them) and it has the BBS solitude wheels....

And this whole 8 speaker thing.... I can only locate 6 in mine. 2 tweeters in the dash corners, 2 speakers in the front doors and 2 in the rear.

golfvr6
09-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Here is an install for your information...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/
thanks for the info golf3 and syncro - will have a look when i get a chance

wakdog - my vr6 also only has 6 speakers (2 dash, 1 in each door). not sure about the trim though

Tim
09-11-2006, 08:34 PM
the seats are sposed to have red inserts in the leather. Altho I think VW had some of them retrimmed in black as they were having trouble selling them or something?

wakdog
10-11-2006, 07:16 PM
that must be what happened to mine..... I sorta wish it did have the red inserts now :(

Ultimate Colour Concept:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/11/g3_harl-1.jpg

V8quattro
16-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I bought a 1996 compliance GL, which was built in the 1995 model year. That was mid-1996 when purchased, and only a few months later I noticed 'different' looking GLs running around. I'm almost certain that these were 1997 model year (though imported late 1996) and had colour-keyed upper bumper sections, black side skirts, oval side repeaters, (useless) lower glovebox and maybe (not sure) bee sting roof aerial in place of the front guard-mounted aerial. None were like this at several Sydney and the ACT dealer where I looked at the cars, and also not at TKM's Wetherill Park HQ. So I believe no 1996 model year GLs were imported: VW was busy trying to get rid of the 1995 shipment.

When I was test-driving GLs, I did consider a Vento, which I think may include 1996 model-year imports - was shown some new ones just landed in a dealer's holding yard with smoked rear taillights, which earlier Ventos did not have.

I also have photos I found the other day of brand new VR6s in the showroom in early 1994. The front indicators were white (with amber layer underneath, I guess, can't remember) and had the deep front spoiler, later replaced with the GL spoiler.

Don't forget that VW importer at the time, TKM, did some weird things with the order book. Remember the lime coloured Cordoba GTi sedans? Anyone ever see the blue Golf GL that appeared to be badged as a GLi (Jap spec?) in a Which Car test in 1995?