PDA

View Full Version : First VW - V6 T5 Transporter but second VR6

dct
04-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi Guys

I've been lurking here for the past few months while I've been looking for my first Volkswagen. Was going to buy a Multivan but couldn't justify it just to lug me and the kids pushbikes around. All the advice in the commercials section has been invaluable...

I've wanted a Volkswagen for years; I remember my Mum trying to choose between a Golf Mk 1 and a Fiat 128 (she chose the Fiat). Then lusting after a VR6 Golf at a motorshow in Auckland (yep, am a kiwi) when they were first released - for some mad price. When I moved to England, I test drove loads of dodgy GTIs out of "The Loot" (I realised in hindsight not the best place to look). I remember stopping dead in the street when I first saw a Corrado - back in 1991 in Basle... but still didn't buy one (sadly)...

Anyway I finally bit the bullet at Manheim Fowles in Sydney on Tuesday, and am now a true "White Van Man", with an ex-RTA V6 auto T5 LWB, 117,000km on the clock. I fancied a TDI but couldn't find one in a low roof for less than 20K, so a V6 it is. Seems good to drive so far, but haven't had a chance to really wind it up. Do miss the shove in the back that the TDI would have given though.

Although this is my first Volkswagen, it's my second VR6. When I was living in the UK I bought a Ford Galaxy - the people mover built by Ford / VW / Seat in Portugal. Lovely engine (2.8L VR6), shame about everything else. I guess it never failed to start, but pretty much everything else went wrong; two auto-box failures were a particular highlight.

Next challenge for the Transporter is to fit some more seats. All the seats I've seen for sale in Oz have lap belts only for the centre seat position. Would love to get some real Kombi / Caravelle T5 seats but it doesn't look like they can be legally fitted to a panel van Transporter. Anyway, I'd best get back to work / lurking....

phaeton
05-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the forums DCT :D