PDA

View Full Version : Changed rear suspension, now getting a 'shunt' in the front end.....

sukebe
29-10-2006, 01:26 PM
I recently discovered my rear struts were shot and installed koni replacements yesterday. Much smoother ride, turn-in greatly improved, but now I get a terrible "shunt" from the front end if I quickly come off power (especially in 1st and second). I assume that the new, harder struts in the rear are now highlighting a pre-existing problem, but does anyone know what that problem may be? I assume it must be dodgy engine or transmission mounts, but I have no idea how to locate them to check them out (I would have to go to a mechanic to properly look under the car).

Could it be anything else?? How much would I be looking at the have engine/trans mounts/bushes replaced??

Oh, by the way, car is a 1996 VR6.

Cheers in advance for any advice!

Golf Loon
29-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Probably engine mounts.
Look in engine bay behind gearbox. See the metal bar that goes from the gearbox onto the rubber thing on top of the subframe. Grab the bar and try and lift it. If engine moves, the mount is shot. New ones are $60ish

EndlessMKI
29-10-2006, 06:48 PM
My guess is that after you put in your new rear struts you took a couple of WRC corners nearest to you and hammered a few 1st to 2nd gears and thus damaged your driver or center tranny mount and now the engine may not be sitting stable.........ehheheheh.

sukebe
29-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the advice! Found that bar, lifted it, engine moved, guess the mount is shot. Ive never changed engine mounts before, are they something I can do at home, or will I need to take it to someone?

Hey Endless, yours would be a fair assumption to make but its not the case. Just cruizing down the street 5mins after fitting the struts and I noticed the shunting. Which mount is Golf Loon talking about, driver or tranny? And where is the other one so I can check it too?