PDA

View Full Version : Attention detailers - some help on brand new GTI

KWICKS
02-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I sent this letter to VW outlining my experience, what can you tell me is my best way forward with your type of services? Do you do this often? Etc.

Hi XXXXX,

Thank you for your professional approach in recognising and escalating our issues with the condition of the vehicle. As discussed I am communicating, in writing now, our concerns.

(Wife) and I went to the XX Volkswagen to collect our GTI on 25 November at 4:30pm. XXXXX completed the paperwork, and we went to inspect our car. The car was underground in the dealership car park and I asked (Wife) to bring it in to the natural light to view it (I am resisting inferring the dimly lit garage was chosen because the condition of the paint was known to be substandard). In the light it was immediately apparent that the pre-delivery detail was very poorly done. The window sills were full of white fluff and debris that stood out on a black car. The lip mounted under the front bar is still covered in dust. The paint on the horizontal surfaces (roof, bonnet and to a lesser extent tailgate) were marked with opalescent spots (they reflected a rainbow of light – perhaps they were oil based?). A similar marking was on the windscreens at the front and rear of the car. There was also a scratch in the paintwork on the front quarter panel on the passenger side. XXXXX attempted to remove the spots on the car with a rag dipped in methylated spirits, and to some degree he was successful in removing the spots from the windscreen (although not completely), but none came off the black paint work because they had been sealed in with a sealant or wax product. XXXXX recorded this on the delivery paperwork and asked us to call back the following day to arrange rectification. We handed back the keys to a generously provided loan vehicle and we took the GTI home. I’d like to add that I had cleaned the loan vehicle immediately prior to returning it as a sign of gratitude, and the job I had done with a thorough clean and the application of polish and wax resulted in a used car that was better presented than that which you supplied to us for a brand new vehicle.

We went home, put the car in the garage and it stayed there for 24 hours while (Wife) went interstate for work. The next day we returned it to XX Volkswagen and received the keys to a Polo. You had the vehicle over the weekend with, as is our understanding, the brief to rectify the issues outlined on the delivery documentation. We got our GTI back yesterday.

(Wife) immediately phoned me and complained of swirling on the roof. I phoned XXXXX immediately to bring it to his attention in the early afternoon of yesterday. I then inspected the car myself last evening, in the direct sunlight. My assessment is that the vehicle is noticeably shinier, with more reflective light; as though another layer of wax had been added (I could see it all over the car where it hadn’t been buffed off well). But look closer and you can see the paintwork has in fact been further damaged and all of the problems have not been rectified. The scratch is still there. Some of the dots on the roof are still present as well, some faded but many are still quite prominent. There is light swirling all over the roof of the car and some heavy swirling in one small place on the roof and a larger area on the bonnet, specifically the passenger side crease about two thirds the way up the bonnet.

To add insult to injury, the vehicle, delivered with 17 kilometres displaying, and having only been driven by us from the dealership home and back once (Google tells me this is 9km each way) was returned to us with 80-odd kilometres on the odometer. I’d like to know who has been for a test drive in our vehicle, or alternatively, given XXXXX has just explained to me that the detail centre and the local smash repairer are 1 km from the dealership, why you have needed more than 45 + kilometres to “detail” (and I use the term loosely) our new car? This has been most upsetting for my wife, who is so looking forward to driving her new car. She has prohibited me from driving her new car until she has had a good go in it, which I have respected, and now you have put more kilometres on it than either of us. I can see in the ownership of the vehicle the small distance you did will not amount to much, but she is so infuriated by this she has asked I conduct discussions on her behalf for fear of becoming angry. Clearly this is not the new car ownership experience we wanted, or that we have had in the past (our other car was purchased from XX Subaru in 2005).

We are exceptionally reluctant to send this car back to XX Volkswagen for further work. As you can appreciate the actions to date have merely eroded our trust in the competency of your team to rectify our issue and to respect our new car. It would be our preference that a third party, professional detailer, be employed to complete the work independent of XX Volkswagen and the fee for this work to be covered by the dealership. If this was not all the work required to rectify the issues as identified and a respray is required then we would also expect XX Volkswagen do all that was required to repair the GTI. Additionally, if we are required to hand over our car again to you against our wishes, then we would expect to be not inconvenienced for this and that alternate transport would also be covered by XX Volkswagen. Finally I would like a written response outlining your plan of action and the reasons why our car was driven outside the need to do so.

I have never had a vehicle professionally detailed before, but I am aware of one detailer by the (name), (business name),(website), (mobile) who is based at (suburb), and who has an excellent reputation for his work. I believe a normal detail to be worth about $200, with nominal extra fees for areas that need special attention. My limited detailing knowledge tells me that as a minimum the layers of wax applied over the soiled paint will need to be removed with an abrasive, the paint cleaned and corrected, and then a new protective layer added. This will require experience and skill with a machine and this is why we want a professional. Perhaps this contact information will assist you in resolving our issue. Like you, we just want to drive away and be happy with our car. Right now I cannot say this has been our experience to date.

Over to you.

Keiran Wicks Sorry no pics.

Many thanks.

Tim
02-12-2008, 11:53 AM
all too common a story mate.

The paint on my GTI was and still is in some respects a disgrace. I dont have a problem with swirls. Its scratches in the roof as though it has been washed with a big abrasive brush. Stupidly I never followed up on it. But i should have

WEDEL.1
02-12-2008, 12:18 PM
That is a terrible story! :-(

Maris

KWICKS
02-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks fior the sympathy, right now I need some advice. Hoping Damian from DMS might chip in, seeing as though I plugged him with the dealer...

WEDEL.1
02-12-2008, 12:28 PM
My wife & I were just discussing this.

I would not have accepted the vehicle AT ALL!

1. If I am buying a new vehicle, I do not want most/all of the clearcoat buffed away to rectify paint problems.

2. I do NOT want a resrayed NEW car.

I hope this is fixed to your satisfaction.

Dan is around here quite often, shouldn't be too long before he can reply.

Maris

Chuck
02-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks fior the sympathy, right now I need some advice. Hoping Damian from DMS might chip in, seeing as though I plugged him with the dealer...

Are you in Perth and is this John Hughes VW you speak of???

Don't get me started on them....vehicle has been back to the dealership 7 times in 6 months of getting a new GTi - all covered under warrenty, except my time and petrol of course!

KWICKS
02-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Sydney based, Northern Beaches ;)

Its not unreasonable to expect the detailers are in fact working right now.

It was a tough call to accept the car, but as we have been in a loan vehicle from the dealer for over 2 months since the wifes car was written off (actually borrowed spare cars from family and friends before that for another couple of months too) we didn't have much choice.

While communication is open and good I am solely interested in getting it seen to properly and hopefully fixed via a good detail. Then we'll have a fast and shiny new car, which was the point to begin with.:)

Timbo
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
I'd call the DP and ask to meet. Then I would go through the points in your letter, and ask what the DP will do to rectify. Note the points of agreement, and establish time for completion/loan car in the interim. Note all these points and confirm in writing.

Personally, I'd pobably lose the bit about the additional k's...yeah, it would get right up my nose, too...but by venturing into that space, you wll inevitably strain relations, and good relations is what you need to maintain if you want this resolved quickly, and with a quality result.

If you are not getting a result, then I suggest handing it all to a solicitor :frown:

KWICKS
02-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Largely that is what is planned so far, except they were the ones most interested in finding out who had been driving the car "unauthorised", citing the Monaro written off by service staff a few months back at a Holden dealership.

Solicitor! Hope it doesn't go that far, its just the paint that needs a decent correction.

Timbo
02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Solicitor! Hope it doesn't go that far, its just the paint that needs a decent correction.

Agree...but the dealer also needs a decent correction, too, by the sounds of it

RhysQ
02-12-2008, 05:15 PM

maybe thats what it would take for it not to happen in the future.

i can imagine that the VW 'detailers' (if thats what they call themselves) give it a quick once-over before pick up for a showroom glisten and i bet that 99% of the time new owners are so excited about getting a new car they don't check the little things like the quality of paintwork and just want to jump in a drive away. once they are out the door 'happy' with the car, VW can claim that it's not thier fault it has scratches and swirls, and that they could have happened on the way home.

they'll just argue with "you didn't point it out in the showroom, it musn't have been there"

maybe legal action will put dealers in their place and save the upset of future owners.

Damian@FI
02-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately you can't really expect too much from a dealer in terms of a detail. The fact is (unfortunately) that they jus have to get it to a stage where it's presentable. It is in their best interests to yeild a godo results, but it's also difficult for them to acheive that result with such lwo numbers fo decent tradesmen around in an industry that is completely unregulated.

Your only choice is to visit a decent detailer, make your choice by researching very thoroughly and maintain it well with the advice of the detailer.

For HEAPS of info have a look at Detail Addiction (http://www.detailaddiction.com.au/forums/), the biggest Australian Detailing Forum or ask me and I'll help out as much as I can.

Sorry to hear about yet another poor Pre-Delivery Detail :(

Damian.

DMS_Dan
04-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey Kieren,

Not sure how i missed this!!

Thanks for putting me forward to the dealership. Im not sure what you have been told so far but at this end i have agreed to do the work and we have settled on a price to be paid by the dealership, ill come to your house to do the work next week.

He was meant to email me your details today so we could organise a day. I only have one free day before xmas and its the day ive set aside for you so hopefully it works for you to!! If not ill try and fit you in. He hasnt emailed me yet but now i we can organise it through here.

Thanks again mate and i look forward to helping you get the car to the condition it should have been.

Dan

WEDEL.1
04-12-2008, 08:21 PM
I would love to see some pics of you doing your magic Dan :-) .

Kieran....charge the batteries and get ready with the camera.

Maris

KWICKS
05-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Happy for car to be photographed but I will be at work!

DMS_Dan
05-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Ill get some nice pics for you guys dont worry

Tim
05-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Id be interested to hear more about the process involved on this kind of job

gavs
05-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Kieran, what you have gone through has really got my blood boiling, especially when someone goes out and buys a new car and gets charged "[B]dealer delivery fees[B]" which entails the dealer having one of the idiot apprentice mechanics from the service bay attack the buyers car with a grit-filled sponge and a pressure-washer, or if they're like a certain VW dealer near where i live, give a mechanic a handfull of gold coins and take it to the self-serve car wash around the corner, complete with the foaming-brush-of-death!!!!!:rifle::rifle::rifle:

That is why dealer delivery is a farce, i'd just turn around and ask for it dirty, as at least I know how to wash a dirty car with minimal paint marring!!!

RhysQ
05-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Dan, make sure Keiran gets a copy of the 'before and after' pics so they can be sent in to VW showing how a brand new car should look. probably not wise to send them off yourself as they may (actually, most probably will) need your services in the future.

there is no excuse for a brand new car not looking.......brand new!

DMS_Dan
05-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Its not uncommon unfortunately.

Ill try and get some good pictures of the process before, during and after for you under consistent light (which is hard working outside as the sun moves lol)

Here is one i did earlier this year that suffered a similar fate. The owner didnt complain to the dealer though, just copped it on the chin, i told him to go and ask for the cost back! http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=18561

KWICKS
08-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Damn, mine aint that bad!

Actually its probably just different, mine has spots on it from the environment and swirls where they tried to remove them.

KWICKS
12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Job done. Thanks Dan and thanks to Bill Buckle Volkswagon for taking my wishes seriously and footing the bill to have it done professionally. Now...

Rain, rain, go away!
I want to take some pics today!

WEDEL.1
12-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeh!! Where's the PICS? ;-)

Maris

KWICKS
15-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Ill get some nice pics for you guys dont worryAsk this bloke.:nana:

Truth be told it rained all day and car got filthy after it was cleaned, so I'll have to wash it again to take pics.

WEDEL.1
15-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Sounds like you're happy with the result. If so, that's great!

Maris

KWICKS
22-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Washed it on the weekend and took a few pics. Hope this works, all I got was links on another forum...

Front:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/12/100_2456-1.jpg

Back:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/12/100_2470-1.jpg

The midget owner (SWMBO not me ya nongs):
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/12/100_2475-1.jpg

Some self-portraits, first me flashing:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/12/100_2465-1.jpg

Second me less exposed:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/12/100_2466-1.jpg

Our other car:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/12/100_2468-1.jpg

Mmm, shiny:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/12/100_2464-1.jpg

gavs
22-12-2008, 12:24 PM
:banana:Looks great Kwicks

Good on you for not taking the dealer's crap and speaking out about it, i'm sure you are MUCH happier with your new car now (though judging from the photo, that won't be happening too much!), and good on the dealer (in some regards) to actually fixing the problem.

Dan, once again your work speaks for itself:bowdown::bowdown:

DMS_Dan
23-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Just got back from holidays.

Thanks Kwicks for putting the pics up, and thanks Gavs for the kind words

WEDEL.1
24-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Fantastic result Dan, no wonder you're happy KWICKS!!

Are there any before pics?

Maris

Mrk_Mickey
24-12-2008, 11:00 PM
It definitely is called black magic for a reason :D