ausgolfer
27-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Is it difficult? :?

Oneofthegreats
27-10-2006, 03:35 PM
A little tricky.

ausgolfer
27-10-2006, 03:39 PM
ah the pains of laziness. My MFA computer globe has been out for about a year now and I really should change it, but got my eye on something that might not require me to change it.

Oneofthegreats
27-10-2006, 03:52 PM
ah the pains of laziness. My MFA computer globe has been out for about a year now and I really should change it, but got my eye on something that might not require me to change it.

Don't I know it;)

What have you got your http://xs208.xs.to/xs208/06435/images.jpg (http://xs.to) on

Anyway, if my memory serve's me correctly, you have to remove the radio head unit, the headlight switch(there's a screw behind it), under the handbrake indictor light panel, the closest switch panel to the insrument cluster. It's either a blanking panel or a switch(Mum's car is a blanking panel with the AC/Recirc switch next to it.) & there's a screw behind there. Two screws above the instrument cluster & I think there is one behind the heater control panel too.
Remove the facia & there two screw's holding the cluster in. Tilt the cluster forward & disconnect the speedo.

alex g
27-10-2006, 04:44 PM
them peel back the microfish membrane thingy and try like hell to get the bugger out with out smashing it and leaving half in the the carrier

86gti
27-10-2006, 10:22 PM
lol, its not too hard....after you break a few clips etc...hahahaha.j:
globes are along the top edge (main ones) gotta do my MFA one soon, havnt got around to it yet.

dvw16v
28-10-2006, 12:47 AM
its an absolute pain in da ass to get the cluster out i got really really lazy and intead of changing the globes i put blue led's facing the cluster ohhh and u have to be careful with the mfa there is a vacuum hose attatched to it very brittle i know anyway good luck

moto
28-10-2006, 02:27 AM
its an absolute pain in da ass to get the cluster out .... there is a vacuum hose attatched to it very brittle i know anyway good luck

Ditto - though the most difficult job is getting around the heater hose (the one that takes air to the vent on the extreme right) to release the speedo cable. If I were doing it again I'd take the time to remove the facia panel containing all the switches, radio etc. That isn't so hard and doesn't take so long. Then you can see what you're doing. You might have to cut that vacume hose off. Before you do, try to soften the end of it (hair drier or something warm but not hot). If you have to cut it, its not hard to replace once you can see what you're doing.

Golf Loon
28-10-2006, 11:19 AM
You have to take the radio and the faschia panel out. Then its easy, but cut the vacuum hose if you have MFA, or be very gentle with it.

ausgolfer
29-10-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm going to need my Jeremy Clarkson style brave pills for this one.

dubstar
06-11-2006, 07:21 AM
If you undo the speedo cable from the engine bay side it gives you more room to pull the cluster forward and then undo the speedo from the cluster.