PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel and your new TDI.

Transporter
26-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Some people on this forum think that I'm "antibiodiesel" well I'm not more antibiodiesel than the article in the link below.

"Before you fill up your new TDI fuel tank with biodiesel".

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/general/0704dp_diodiesel_vs_your_warranty/index.html

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=U&start=26&q=http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/reportsdatabase/reports/tra/20061001_tra-55.pdf&ei=6ptESZTUF4mQtQONkYmPBA&sig2=8_Z2zbAdOrpayaGTfpJPjA&usg=AFQjCNGCqwZ1dyzDDV5ZZF1lYM3MnrfM-Q

CatonaPC©
26-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I believe the manual gives just such a warning but also permits the use of biodiesel which meets the appropriate fuel standard. (In short, B5.)

Provided we are not duped by the oil companies, we shouldn't have a problem in this country.

STV4SYT
27-11-2008, 08:41 AM
but now with diesel sitting at under $1.40 a litre and dropping more each day its becoming less of a saving. the risks far outweigh the gains IMO.

Greg Roles
27-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Well the day my warranty runs out, I hope to never use Dino again.
Sure you need to know what you are doing, but a properly set up car and biodiesel plant is definately my future. Dutchaussie is writing a book of his european experience, and I'm on the "want to purchase list". It's WHY I'm planning on hanging onto this car long term, and I can't think of a greater joy than to be able to drive past servo's and stick it to the man fuel wise.

Shame they will still get the oil use!

85Fuego
24-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Well the day my warranty runs out, I hope to never use Dino again.

Thats what i had hoped to do - there's a servo on Middleborough Rd not far from Burwood highway here in Melb., that sells biodiesel. Put through a few tanks - by the time the second tank was 3/4 of the way empty it was getting hard to start. (this was after topping up occasionally with BD and changing the filter). Went back to dino after 1 tank was back to easy starting.

There is obviously a quality problem, my hunch is that unless you have BD that is up to a standard the quality may be suspect ie use no more than 5%. The problem is where was the base stock from? Oils, tallow? Was it washed properly?

Unless u do it yourself, without testing you don't know what you have.

Regards

David

hokenmk3
17-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Making biodiesel is really easy:
-Filter fryer oil with a calico bag
-Dissolve napthaline (crushed moth balls) into it
-Filter again
-QED

phaeton
18-04-2009, 08:18 AM
One of the forum members here powers his vehicle with Biodiesel and I think he makes it to.

No problems...........so far to my knowledge.

Transporter
18-04-2009, 02:10 PM
One of the forum members here powers his vehicle with Biodiesel and I think he makes it to.

No problems...........so far to my knowledge.

I need a bit more prove than one member here and there to experimenting with his car before I would use biodiesel.

Something like driving 200,000km using the biodiesel only and under different driving conditions in different climates on more than just one car, than

after that 200,000km dismantle the engine and check the wear on the components and compare to the one driven on the petroleum diesel.

20 engines in the testing like that could give some reasonably accurate data.

But the problem is that the quality of the diesel fuel is not guaranteed, so even such test wouldn’t be accurate. :)

P.S. Buying biodiesel instead petro diesel when there is not saving (actualy the engine is using more of it) is non sence. :duh:
Any car fitted with DPF cannot use biodiesel anyway.

neil
18-04-2009, 05:52 PM
-Filter again
-QED

Dutch aussie and a few others make there own with no complication.

I would be interested to know there thoughts on your Bio recipe as I think its a
bit more complicated than that to make.

Have you actually tried this recipe.

hokenmk3
19-04-2009, 12:40 PM

I would be interested to know there thoughts on your Bio recipe as I think its a

Yeah but only in a 4.2L Nissan Patrol so there is no hurting that thing. It runs on just the oil with no moth balls so it is not really any indication... although without the moth balls chewed the fuel filter and with the mothballs seemed not to.

Ozram
16-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Transporter,

that first link refers to all the major fuel injection manufacturers agreeing to bio-diesel at no more than 5% in regular diesel. This is true. I have seen the actual statement that is signed off by Bosch, Delphi, Denso, Stanadyne etc.

Diesel engines love bio- diesel. Fact. Diesel engines can be made to run on a lot of different things. The difficult bit is getting it through your injection system. Early mechanical fuel injection pumps seem to be able to handle bio better. Common rail injection equipment does not seem to handle it as well. Contaminate your common rail system and you will need to clean the tank & lines, replace filters, replace pump & high pressure pipe. Replace Rail, injector pipes and injectors. Probably about $7-10,000 including labour to do this repair.

At this point in time I would advise against bio-diesel. I'm sure it will be a good thing in the future with more development and the injection manufacturers improvement in their product.

Transporter
17-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Transporter,

that first link refers to all the major fuel injection manufacturers agreeing to bio-diesel at no more than 5% in regular diesel. This is true. I have seen the actual statement that is signed off by Bosch, Delphi, Denso, Stanadyne etc. .

They probably didn't have a choice.

At this point in time I would advise against bio-diesel. I'm sure it will be a good thing in the future with more development and the injection manufacturers improvement in their product.

That makes us 2.

Preen59
17-05-2009, 08:29 PM
A point that probably should be made here is that none of our smaller VW Diesel engines over here are common rail yet (as far as i know.. The 2009 stuff might be different). We're still all running PD injection.

This goes for all the 1.9L TDI's. The 2L TDI's including the Golf GT.

So that means that nobody has an engine running ridiculous fuel pressures and therefore it's not as critical. (I however will not be running Bio in my Caddy until it is out of warranty and i can be sure it's 100% safe).

Not sure about the bigger stuff.. Anyone fill in that blank? :)

Transporter
17-05-2009, 08:41 PM
A point that probably should be made here is that none of our smaller VW Diesel engines over here are common rail yet (as far as i know.. The 2009 stuff might be different). We're still all running PD injection.

This goes for all the 1.9L TDI's. The 2L TDI's including the Golf GT.

So that means that nobody has an engine running ridiculous fuel pressures and therefore it's not as critical. (I however will not be running Bio in my Caddy until it is out of warranty and i can be sure it's 100% safe).

Not sure about the bigger stuff.. Anyone fill in that blank? :)

Bio diesel is as bad for PD injection as for common rail.

Ozram
17-05-2009, 09:36 PM

The new Mk6 is common rail.

I run the PD system in my Caddy. I will still not put bio anywhere near it, primarily because I know what it can do to the newer injection systems and I know how much they cost to fix.

If the manufacturer says only 5% and actually puts a sticker on the fuel flap saying "no bio" and you still want to use it then you are asking for trouble IMHO.

Ozram
17-05-2009, 09:39 PM

The fuel pressure has no relevance. The fact is the tolerances are a lot closer than in older systems, therefore they grind to a halt quicker.

Preen59
17-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Bio diesel is as bad for PD injection as for common rail.

My understanding was that PD could tolerate it moreso than common rail because one of the issues was that bio diesel cannot lubricate sufficiently under extreme pressure, therefore the common rail systems would fail?

(Question, not statement)

The new Mk6 is common rail.

I run the PD system in my Caddy. I will still not put bio anywhere near it, primarily because I know what it can do to the newer injection systems and I know how much they cost to fix.

If the manufacturer says only 5% and actually puts a sticker on the fuel flap saying "no bio" and you still want to use it then you are asking for trouble IMHO.

Like i said i won't be letting bio in my tank any time soon... :)

Transporter
17-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Actually pressure in the PD injection system is higher than in the common rail fuel system. Lately piezo injectors for common rail are closer in the pressure to PD system know. ;)

gldgti
18-05-2009, 07:23 PM
all this is good discussion, but the question still begs - If all this is true, why are VW's Bio-friendly in the EU?

I postulate that VW certainly do not have different engine components in the euro sold cars. I think its all down to adhereing to fuel standards, rather than some fault or incompatibility between the technology and the fuel itself.

gldgti
18-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I need a bit more prove than one member here and there to experimenting with his car before I would use biodiesel.

Something like driving 200,000km using the biodiesel only and under different driving conditions in different climates on more than just one car, than

after that 200,000km dismantle the engine and check the wear on the components and compare to the one driven on the petroleum diesel.

20 engines in the testing like that could give some reasonably accurate data.

But the problem is that the quality of the diesel fuel is not guaranteed, so even such test wouldn’t be accurate. :)

P.S. Buying biodiesel instead petro diesel when there is not saving (actualy the engine is using more of it) is non sence. :duh:
Any car fitted with DPF cannot use biodiesel anyway.

Transporter, please justify some of your claims here.

1) why can a diesel car fitted with a DPF not use biodiesel? it is true that the "regeneration mode" may not work effectively.... nor will the 50% less soot from using biodiesel clog up the DPF so much as normal diesel.

2) it is well known that bio-diesel has been used consistently, over a long peroid of time, and in many climates, in different vehicles, for many years. It is only in Australia that we have so little experience with this fuel. I will concede taht the use of bio-diesel in modern common rail and PD injection systems may not be so well documented, because of their relatively short exposure to th world. many new diesels arent yet out of warranty and many owners have been scared out of using bio diesel.

To others -

It is not sensible to postulate about why bio-diesel "cannot" be used in your vehicle unless you are actually testing it. I'm sure that with some research (particularly with reference to he US, Canada and Europe) that you will find evidence of the successful use of bio-diesel in new diesel cars. - even to the point of VW sponsored racing endeavours with 100% biodiesel vehicles.

what i'm saying is that UNLESS your opinion is based on hard evidence, don't post it as implied fact.

all of the above is meant in the most friendly and informative mannor :-)

Ozram
18-05-2009, 08:17 PM
To others -

It is not sensible to postulate about why bio-diesel "cannot" be used in your vehicle unless you are actually testing it. I'm sure that with some research (particularly with reference to he US, Canada and Europe) that you will find evidence of the successful use of bio-diesel in new diesel cars. - even to the point of VW sponsored racing endeavours with 100% biodiesel vehicles.

what i'm saying is that UNLESS your opinion is based on hard evidence, don't post it as implied fact.

I don't think anyone has said you cannot use it. I think people are capable of making up their own minds. There is an Australian standard for bio-diesel, but there seems to be some people who will buy used cooking oil from restaurants and make their own. Quality is the major issue here in Australia.

I see lots of expensive contaminated diesel injection systems where I work. I think that very often the consumer is left out of pocket because he genuinely thinks he is doing the right thing for the environment by using alternate fuels. Its only when he is told that he has voided his warranty and has a $10,000 bill that his service station doesn't want to know about, that he finds himself up the proverbial creek.

As I said in an earlier post, I am not against bio-fuels, for the future. I can't say what equipment is used for bio-fuels in Europe or elsewhere as I don't have access to the vehicles, all I see is what is happening in Oz.

In Australia, Bosch and all the other diesel fuel injection equipment manufacturers state that more than 5% alternate fuel in systems will void the warranty. Various car manufacturers have warning stickers fitted on cars against the use of Bio.

At the end of the day everyone is free to use whatever they want in their own vehicle. I just think that people should be careful whilst the vehicle is still under warranty.

On the other hand, my boss owns a diesel fuel injection repair shop and he says that you should all fill up with the cheapest, no-name brand concoction. Preferably out of rusty 205 litre drums;)

Transporter
18-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Transporter, please justify some of your claims here.

1) why can a diesel car fitted with a DPF not use biodiesel? it is true that the "regeneration mode" may not work effectively.... nor will the 50% less soot from using biodiesel clog up the DPF so much as normal diesel.

2) it is well known that bio-diesel has been used consistently, over a long peroid of time, and in many climates, in different vehicles, for many years. It is only in Australia that we have so little experience with this fuel. I will concede taht the use of bio-diesel in modern common rail and PD injection systems may not be so well documented, because of their relatively short exposure to th world. many new diesels arent yet out of warranty and many owners have been scared out of using bio diesel.

To others -

My opinion is based on being a diesel mechanic for almost 30 years.
I’m not interested in hearing from biodiesel forums or other biodiesel fans; that they’ve tried biodiesel in their cars and that it was “OK”
Even if hundreds of people use bio-diesel in their cars for several years, that’s not enough time to see the long-term adverse effect on the engine.
The obvious short-term adverse effects being inconvenience in getting to a station with bio-diesel, no saving when using it since it is not cheaper, increased fuel consumption, and you’re required to halve the service/replacement interval for the fuel filter and the engine oil. So what then are the advantages of bio-diesel - when the aforementioned effects of bio-diesel (increased fuel consumption, more oil, more filters etc.) don’t exactly fit in with being environmentally friendly?
And to others, if you value somebody's amateur experimenting with home brew bio diesel more than the advice of VW who have a proper way of testing the impact of biodiesel on the modern diesel engine (especially the ones fitted with DPF), then that’s your prerogative; and I can assure that after just one tank of bad fuel and the cost associated with repairing the damage you’ll never want to here the word “biodiesel”.

One from biodiesel fans
http://dieselgreenfuels.com/blog/2009/05/15/a-warning-about-2008-and-newer-vehicles-using-biodiesel-and-a-call-to-action/

and another
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4311498.html
http://biodieselsmarter.com/archives/2008/12/the_saga_of_the_09_tdi_and_its.php

P.S. You cannot request hard evidence if you don’t base your argument on hard evidence. Nowhere in your argument have you referenced any data from any form of literature whatsoever. My information is a simple warning to others in concordance with VW, and is based on my experience as a mechanic, from having seeing the effects of bio-diesel on the engine first-hand, such as increased fuel consumption and the need to replace parts more often. I’m not advising people not to use bio-diesel, just writing about some of its potential consequences.

Transporter
18-05-2009, 09:26 PM
On the other hand, my boss owns a diesel fuel injection repair shop and he says that you should all fill up with the cheapest, no-name brand concoction. Preferably out of rusty 205 litre drums;)

:biggrin::biggrin::bowdown:

gldgti
18-05-2009, 11:22 PM
P.S. You cannot request hard evidence if you don’t base your argument on hard evidence. Nowhere in your argument have you referenced any data from any form of literature whatsoever. My information is a simple warning to others in concordance with VW, and is based on my experience as a mechanic, from having seeing the effects of bio-diesel on the engine first-hand, such as increased fuel consumption and the need to replace parts more often. I’m not advising people not to use bio-diesel, just writing about some of its potential consequences.

Ahhh ha.

Where do i come from? I'm a mechanical engineer and car enthusiast.... I've always owned a diesel car and in the last 18 months i've run my mk3 turbo-diesel for 70,000km on 100% pump biodiesel. I have changed the fuel filter once in that time, change the oil every 6-7000km and have no evidence to suggest that this is inadequate. Infact, i would dispute your claim that you need to change the oil more frequently using biodiesel - its use produces less soot, and a well functioning injection system should not comtaminate the engine oil.

My father has been using 100% biodiesel (home-made) in a mk1 GLD and a mecedes 240D for 150,000km in the former case and 50,000km in the latter case. He claims over the time he's used Bio, the only disadvantages have been very cold winter morning starts (cured by fuel heater), and the fact he's had to replace the 30-yo pump seals with newer synthetic rubber components. I have yet to suffer any such disadvantage with my 1994 vehicle.

I certainly sympathise with those people who try a batch of bio and then end up with a big and expensive problem - but we both acknowledge that bio-diesel quality can be variable, and as such it is unsurprising that these kinds of incidents happen. I propose that as usual, the bad news is always far better publicised than the good, and that these cases occur in the minority.

Further - it is scientific FACT that biodiesel is, as a chemical, an effective cleaner and solvent for petrochemical deposits, and as such, gummy deposits formed by years of dino-diesel use are almost ALWAYS stripped out of the fuel system of a vehicle that begins using bio-diesel, and as such its that "first tank" syndrome of failure. It is not fair to put the failure of a fuel system due to ingestion or blockage by general garbage, on a perfectly good fuel that has cleaned (in an in-opportume manner) the fuel system. Am i saying this out of heresay? Not at all - In the 5 diesel vehicles that my father and i have run on biodiesel, we have witnessed this in every one. THe first month or so of operation sees a multitude of gunk come out of the system, until finally the system is clean and free of deposits and normal, trouble free operation is allowed.

I fail to see, how utilising a fuel with higher lubricity, cleaner and smoother burn and higher oxygen content could negatively impact on engine wear. In every diesel vehicle i have ever run on bio-diesel, i have always been able to observe a smoother running and slightly cooler running engine.

since its late, and i need to go to bed, i wont find any links for you to read up on... but if you google "From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank", you will find links to a very good book written Joshua Tickell. I hope that just because "you arent interested" in the work of simple minded forum users "backyard experiements", that you will be able to take on board and perhaps consider that i might have some idea about this stuff.

One more thing - VW are far more likely to warn against using biodiesle in australia, not because they have tested it and don't think you should use it, but because they dont want to pay for all the repairs on vehicles that have been subjected to the things we have already spoken about.

for now, peace out.

Transporter
18-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Ahhh ha.

Where do i come from? I'm a mechanical engineer and car enthusiast.... I've always owned a diesel car and in the last 18 months i've run my mk3 turbo-diesel for 70,000km on 100% pump biodiesel. I have changed the fuel filter once in that time, change the oil every 6-7000km and have no evidence to suggest that this is inadequate. Infact, i would dispute your claim that you need to change the oil more frequently using biodiesel - its use produces less soot, and a well functioning injection system should not comtaminate the engine oil.

My father has been using 100% biodiesel (home-made) in a mk1 GLD and a mecedes 240D for 150,000km in the former case and 50,000km in the latter case. He claims over the time he's used Bio, the only disadvantages have been very cold winter morning starts (cured by fuel heater), and the fact he's had to replace the 30-yo pump seals with newer synthetic rubber components. I have yet to suffer any such disadvantage with my 1994 vehicle.

I certainly sympathise with those people who try a batch of bio and then end up with a big and expensive problem - but we both acknowledge that bio-diesel quality can be variable, and as such it is unsurprising that these kinds of incidents happen. I propose that as usual, the bad news is always far better publicised than the good, and that these cases occur in the minority.

Further - it is scientific FACT that biodiesel is, as a chemical, an effective cleaner and solvent for petrochemical deposits, and as such, gummy deposits formed by years of dino-diesel use are almost ALWAYS stripped out of the fuel system of a vehicle that begins using bio-diesel, and as such its that "first tank" syndrome of failure. It is not fair to put the failure of a fuel system due to ingestion or blockage by general garbage, on a perfectly good fuel that has cleaned (in an in-opportume manner) the fuel system. Am i saying this out of heresay? Not at all - In the 5 diesel vehicles that my father and i have run on biodiesel, we have witnessed this in every one. THe first month or so of operation sees a multitude of gunk come out of the system, until finally the system is clean and free of deposits and normal, trouble free operation is allowed.

I fail to see, how utilising a fuel with higher lubricity, cleaner and smoother burn and higher oxygen content could negatively impact on engine wear. In every diesel vehicle i have ever run on bio-diesel, i have always been able to observe a smoother running and slightly cooler running engine.

since its late, and i need to go to bed, i wont find any links for you to read up on... but if you google "From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank", you will find links to a very good book written Joshua Tickell. I hope that just because "you arent interested" in the work of simple minded forum users "backyard experiements", that you will be able to take on board and perhaps consider that i might have some idea about this stuff.

One more thing - VW are far more likely to warn against using biodiesle in australia, not because they have tested it and don't think you should use it, but because they dont want to pay for all the repairs on vehicles that have been subjected to the things we have already spoken about.

for now, peace out.

You're missing one thing here:
I never said don't use biodiesel in any diesel engine.

How about you buy Golf6 TDI and start using biodiesel and we will see if you make it to 160,000km, how is that for proof that biodiesel is safe to use in modern diesel engine.

If I had Golf Mark1 or Mark3 I would be using biodiesel as well if I coud buy it cheap.;)

gldgti
19-05-2009, 11:30 AM
You're missing one thing here:
I never said don't use biodiesel in any diesel engine.

How about you buy Golf6 TDI and start using biodiesel and we will see if you make it to 160,000km, how is that for proof that biodiesel is safe to use in modern diesel engine.

If I had Golf Mark1 or Mark3 I would be using biodiesel as well if I coud buy it cheap.;)

your right, ofcourse....

in 10 years, i'll buy a mk6 tdi and tell you its all good ;-)

Transporter
19-05-2009, 01:19 PM
your right, ofcourse....

in 10 years, i'll buy a mk6 tdi and tell you its all good ;-)

Sorry mate, I don't know what's your point here.

The original topic was "Biodiesel and your new TDI"

I never argued that you couldn’t use biodiesel in old diesel engines.

You obviously didn't check the links I posted.

Greg Roles
19-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm no diesel mechanic, well not qualified anyhow:biggrin:, but I do look forward to putting my chemistry degree to actual use making my own. If your quality control and testing is good enough, I can't see a problem. Set the car up to suit, and giddyup. Don't give a rats about the "debate", it's something I'm doing in my future. For now, while the car is financed and I need it for daily work, I'll keep paying the oil companies, but in a few years time when all that changes, well the tinkering, shall indeed continue down the Bio path.

I'd much rather take the risk and see for myself than sit on the fence and talk. In all things!

gldgti
19-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Sorry mate, I don't know what's your point here.

The original topic was "Biodiesel and your new TDI"

I never argued that you couldn’t use biodiesel in old diesel engines.

You obviously didn't check the links I posted.

i ought to have made a longer post.

In 10 years, i'll buy a mk6 tdi and do 160,000km in it on biodiesel, and then we'll see if its alright.

believe me mate, i'm not trying to have an argument with you on this - i think we both understand the technicalities - but i don't like seeing a one sided view posted up without anyone else chiming in with information that will help balance out what people are reading. now, given i have a fair amount of experience with biodiesel, (more than anyone else i have spoken to in person, bar my dad) then i guess i'm qualified to take on some of the more "anti biodiesel sentiment" examples that you put forward, such as service intervals for oil filters and such.

if you don't like what i have to say, but can't find fault with it technically, don't reply.

having said all that - thankyou for posting those links. good reading and very informative. What interests me (but is unrelated to this topic) is that problems running biodiesel stem from emissions systems set up to deal with mineral diesel use.

at the end of the day, i guess the conclusion is this (and correct me if you disagree): 'Biodiesel use is not recommended in an unmodified new tdi, due to the fact that the injection system controls and emissions controls are unsuited to dealing with the different physical proeprties of biodiesel, when compared with mineral diesel.'

phaeton
19-05-2009, 06:54 PM
B5 is 100% ok as VW use it in the current 2009 Jetta TDI Cup races in the US and VW of America & Canada also ok 5% Biodiesel in the new CR TDI.

http://www.tdicurious.ca/tag/faq/#a21
http://www.tdicurious.ca/2008/11/b5-%E2%80%93-what-is-it/
(Official VW Canada TDI Blog)

http://tdi.vw.com/jetta-tdi-cup-worlds-1st-biodiesel-powered-race-series/

At this stage though other markets (except Germany) have not been okayed due to no standards being set.

I remember watching the release of the Jetta Clean Diesel on youtube and one of the Diesel Experts was talking about a Biodiesel plant opening in the US fairly soon; so quite possibly VW may increase Biodiesel content in future US products.

Transporter
19-05-2009, 07:55 PM
In 10 years, i'll buy a mk6 tdi and do 160,000km in it on biodiesel, and then we'll see if its alright.

and again we will see the effect of biodiesel on old car and old fuel system. :duh:
Don’t wait 10 years, do it now. ;)

Greg Roles
19-05-2009, 10:06 PM
at the end of the day, i guess the conclusion is this (and correct me if you disagree): 'Biodiesel use is not recommended in an unmodified new tdi, due to the fact that the injection system controls and emissions controls are unsuited to dealing with the different physical proeprties of biodiesel, when compared with mineral diesel.'

Amen brother, modify and be happy! By the time bio hits my TDI, there won't be a lot of "stock" left.

gldgti
19-05-2009, 10:58 PM
We will see again the effect of biodiesel on old car and old fuel system. :duh:
Don’t wait 10 years, do it now. ;)

haha - i only just paid off my current car - no more debts for me for a good while... :-)

gavs
21-05-2009, 09:15 AM
I have read through this thread with great interest, and read the articles that Transporter has also posted, alot of good technicla data in there!!

BUT, in reference to a few of gldgti's points:

I used to own a Toyota 4x4 with a 2.4 turbo diesel. Mechanical injection. Nothing like the current crop of common rail and high pressure electronic injection systems.
Why is this relevent? Just after I bought the truck, Australian standards stipulated that the current diesel was to be replaced by the new ULSD, or Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel. Transporter mentions that he's a diesel mechanic so would understand the problems for older engines in relation to this new fuel. The lower sulpher content dramatically reduced the lubricity properties and hence was a "dryer" fuel, which in turn ate away at the old rubber seals in the older diesel injector pumps, as evidenced by after 4 months of running the new fuel, a previously perfect fuel injection system was now dripping fuel out of the pump.

There is still some speculation about this, but after speaking with several diesel mechanics, namely Rankin Diesel in bayswater, Victoria (ring and ask them what ULSD does to older diesel systems), i chose to run biodiesel, either B20 or B100. After this, I replaced 3 fuel filters in 4 months and the oil + filter after 2500kms twice. Relevence? after the new fuel filters and oil changes, I had nice, clear oil with each 5000km oil change, the leak slowed considerably and the truck ran much smoother.

How is this relevent to the original topic? As stated in your links Tranporter, it is down to quality of the fuel. This is a huge issue in the euopean and american winters where temperatures plummet, this is due to the tallow or Animal Fat content of the fuel solidifying and thickening the fuel. The other issue is particulate matter in the fuel due to improper filtration. I notice in one document, with the buses in colorado, that they used old buses which were previously fueled on crude-derived diesel which would have left years of gunk in the fuel systems.

I think the issue is that by running a high bio content diesel, this will clean the fuel systems, putting gunk into the fuel. If the the filter doesn't pick it up, then it can clog the highly toleranced common rail systems.

Remember also, that our diesel in Australia is still far below the EU standards in regards to fuel regulations, we still add sulphur to our diesel whereas they do not. Hence the reluctance to have the performance diesel varients of vehicles for BMW and Mercedes Benz.

I think that if a brand new vehicle was to run on EU B20 blend, EU B100, Regular Australian diesel and EU quality standard diesel, that would be an acurate test.

Finally, 2 points.

Remember the fiasco that was the ethanol-blend issue a few years back? That ethanol destroyed engines? and yet all the vehicle manufacturers around the world have at least 1 "flex-fuel" enginee, with all other engines capable of running on ethanol blends. Lets just not mention the environmental impat from farming all the corn to produce it....

Diesel has it's back against the wall in the EU. It is now being proven to be attributed to a growing number of deaths due to new particulate filters reducing the size of soot particles, which can now enter the blood stream where before they could be expeled from the lungs. Car's are now dispossable, meant to last 3 years. I know if presented with running bio over regular diesel in a new Mk6 Golf, i'd pick bio every time, purely for the health impact.

Need a link to back up these claims? here's a whole list.
http://search.who.int/search?ie=utf8&site=default_collection&client=WHO&proxystylesheet=WHO&output=xml_no_dtd&oe=utf8&q=diesel+particulate+matter

Greg Roles
21-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Now that's interesting. Just when you think you're doing the right thing with a DPF....

Transporter
21-05-2009, 01:46 PM
If it was so life threatening all the vehicles with the DPF would be recalled and DPF removed.
And maybe it will come to it.
http://www.atzonline.com/index.php;do=show/alloc=1/lng=en/id=9754/site=a4e/sid=25503e2afdcc8883a2ba3f31b6bf8868
Don't believe in everything what you hear or read from the media, make your assumption, use your knowledge and remember that life is full of compromises and don’t just see the “The conspiracy theory” behind everything. :)

gldgti
21-05-2009, 08:43 PM
If it was so life threatening all the vehicles with the DPF would be recalled and DPF removed.

well, maybe...

theres a heck of a lot of dosh to me made out of replaceing DPF's once all the current new cars get a bit older....

OFF TOPIC...
its like the argument "if mobile phones were dangerous, they wouldnt be sold or would be sold with warnings..." - so now after 15years of boom times, the number of people with benign tumours in their jaws and ears is getting too many to just put down to coincindence... i reckon we can accurately predict a not too far off new range of "healthy" mobile phones with low peak microwave signatures...

Spoddy
05-06-2009, 08:46 PM
I also put this question in the diesel thread but I should have put it in here...

I just lifted this from the NRMA site:

"The NSW Government is legislating at the time of writing to require all diesel to contain 2 per cent biodiesel up to 2011 and 5 per cent from 2012 onwards."

What does this do to us TDIs where VW won't let us use biodiesel under warranty?

gldgti
05-06-2009, 10:41 PM
warranty conditions allow up to 5% biodiesel.... you're already covered.

Spoddy
06-06-2009, 08:14 AM
warranty conditions allow up to 5% biodiesel.... you're already covered.

That was a simple resolution :)

250 downunder
06-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I am progressively increasing the percentage of Bio in my MkV TDI. Up to 25% currently and it loves it. I make my own Bio and test every batch. I wash until I have neutral PH and dry until there is minimal water content. It is filtered through a 5 micron water block filter before it goes into the vehicle.
No problems to date and I don't expect any.
I also run an F250 [7.3L Turbo Diesel] on 100% Bio and the only problem to date has been with fuel hoses which I have now overcome. I have an exhaust gas temperature gauge on this vehicle and it definately runs cooler on Bio.
I shudder when I read about Bio being made by adding crushed "moth balls" to used vegetable oil. It is little wonder car manufacturers decline warranty when Bio has been used.

oracle1
29-08-2009, 08:45 PM
This is a gray area due to the wide variety of source materials used to make biodiesel, which means there are lots of undesirable finished products that could end up in your fuel tank. This kind of uncertainty can make FIE manufacturers toss and turn in their beds at night worrying about bad stuff roaming through their equipment such as:* Free methanol* Water* Free glycerine* Mono-, di-, and triglycerides* Free fatty acids* Solid particles* Oxidated fuel

all production issues none of which effect me as the bio comes str8 of the centrifuge as made by my hand.

oracle1
29-08-2009, 08:46 PM
-Filter again
-QED

this sort of process gives bio a bad name

DutchAussie
29-08-2009, 10:27 PM

Hi Guys,

I have now done 30,300 Km on home made Biodiesel and the Caddy is purring.
My book has been out for months now and is available from me or from Think Global.
You will find more information on my sites below.

Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)

The Last Streetfighter
09-09-2010, 01:39 PM
After the report I read from Audi on biodiesel based on the transesterification process, I would never go near it in my own vehicles.
After the change to fuel lines and injextors and pump that my dad had to do from using home made biodiesel and straight run cooking oil (highly filtered) I would not use that in a car post 1995.