PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the RS and a write up

mrgolf
17-11-2008, 10:01 PM
http://www.ausmotive.com/2008/11/16/drive-thru-skoda-octavia-rs.html

Liam's write up is pretty good. Pics are mostly of mine, so look for stubby and no rear badge...

I must add that the Skoda won over the Jetta on pricing, gearbox, equipment, handling, and practicality.

The Skoda will never feel like the GTI because the GTI is an icon. The RS is a reasonable and more practical imitation, but it doesnt feel as special to drive.

Other than something so intangible, main differences include:
minor differences
- interior plastics
- no red led downlighting
- no soft touch grab handles
- no steering wheel controls (this really irritates me. Stupid, stupid omission)
- instrument cluster less conservative, but will date
- green backlighting on control panel
- no electric lumbar suuport
- missing controls on climate control system
- naff vinyl (is it the 80's?) owner manual folder which has no designated place in the glovebox (GTI had a leather folder with a nook in the glovebox)
- Drink holders less up to the task with no adjustment
major differences
- higher softer suspension. Less composed than GTI and doesnt look as well sorted in terms of wheel-wheel arch ratio.Gives feeling that it is underdamped and less controlled than GTI and has more squat and dive than the GTI
- seats are less supportive and seating position is higher
RS>GTI
- padding in coin tray
- better equipped standard
- 18" wheels
- slightly better balanced with more weight over back wheels
- highline computer vs limited trip computer in GTI
- better pricing. My RS with roof 10K cheaper than the GTI with leather/ roof (nice deal)
- has aux input for stereo which also has mp3 capability
- stereo is significantly better than GTI
- underseat storage
- space, space, space.

I am very happy with the RS, but I miss the GTI enormously. I dont think I would miss the RS unless I went back to something with no sporting abilities at all. Therein lies the iconic nature of the GTI. It is a driving experience. Not something that can be quantified.

mrx
18-11-2008, 02:13 PM
The RS also lacks a gas strut to hold open the bonnet, and footwell lighting - it has lights in the doors instead.

If the handling & ride height isn't quite up to scratch for you then I can highly recommend the Eibach springs from JKM in the UK. $400 delivered* + $80 for a wheel alignment + a day of my (and a mate's) time. If anything it understeers less than the golf. Maybe due to the extra overhang at the back? Maybe due to the Michelin Exalto's mine came with?

* When the exchange rate was a little better.

If money is no object then a set of Koni FSD's is reported to work quite nicely with the Eibachs.

gregozedobe
18-11-2008, 05:05 PM
On the Briskoda site the Koni FSDs are very popular, giving a much more supple ride AND better handling. I might look at them after a couple of years (along with an engine remap). The reason for waiting is to ensure if I have any problems I am covered by warranty without any quibbling (my van has had considerable warranty work done by VW in its short life).

mrx
18-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I figured there probably wasn't TOO much for them to weasel out of with the springs, except for probably the dampers. Then it'd be an ideal time to fit the FSD's. I'm prepared to take the risk.

It seems in the UK the dealers will fit the Eibachs as an option whilst maintaing the warranty.

mrgolf
18-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Oh yeah. Forgot strut. Hadnt noticed wheel wells, but noticed lights in doors cos they didnt work on the Golf.

As mentioned in the original post, I reckon the RS handles more neutrally because of the weight over the rear. With better springs, I reckon it may well be better. I just want it to feel more composed with the added bonus of better steering response. I have heard the Eibachs are pretty good.

BTW, I got Dunlop Sport Maxx on mine. Not a bad tyre at all.