PDA

View Full Version : Got mine yesterday

woofy
16-11-2008, 10:12 PM
After a heap of work on both sides, we picked up an RS sedan in Race Blue from the still being constructed Richmond Skoda.

Was treated very well, and had a 3 day turnaround from deciding, sorting out with finance (went with Bendigo HP privately) and driving out. Definitely recommend them, definitely do not recommend the Fern tree gully Skoda until they get a proper dedicated team there.

Got the sunroof and front parking sensors.

Now had someone take a look over the car today, and they noticed that the two headlights have this molded type ridge in different spots, it seems to obvious to be a defect, would these be something to do with the headlight direction/cutoffs? Either that or they were both moulded with flaws but that seems hard to believe. The rear spoiler is on slightly further to one side, but how my friend even picked that I don't know, I still can't see it. The bolts holding the spoiler on are a bit weak compared to my Mazda 6 though.

Happy overall, this car is a tonne of fun, still confused by the whole 15k/1 yr service thing though, I'm used to driving with changing revs etc for 1000-2000km then getting the oil changed...and then going for it after that. At which stage should I be able to let loose properly and not fuss on freeways etc?

Richmond Skoda are not actually set up properly for servicing yet, but are using the Audi garage which is part of the same dealer, apparently Skoda send them over their own hoists etc.

brad
17-11-2008, 07:38 AM
still confused by the whole 15k/1 yr service thing though, I'm used to driving with changing revs etc for 1000-2000km then getting the oil changed...and then going for it after that. At which stage should I be able to let loose properly and not fuss on freeways etc?

The servicing is fairly simple (simpler than my old Golf). Take it back when you hit 15k km or 12 months, whichever comes first. There's a list of "harsh conditions" in the service book that require early services.

I usually get an early oil change but my car is a Variable Service model, so I figure if the Long Life oil is good enough to last up to 30,000km then it will be fine for 15,000km of my driving.

For my running-in, I just used different gears & revs for the first 1000km & didn't use cruise control for another few thousand km. After that I just drove normally.

Apart from my Fuel Pressure Reg, I've had no problems, excellent fuel economy & no oil usage.

gregozedobe
17-11-2008, 09:10 AM
I use a fair bit of accelerator for the first 2-3000Km, as I believe it helps to bed the rings in better. No lugging or redline revs, partcularly for the first 1,000km, and let the engine warm up properly before giving it any stick. You are on the right track about varying the revs, so no cruise control for a little while.

Remember to check the engine oil level frequently in case yours is one of the few engines that use a bit of oil at first.

Have fun :)

mrgolf
17-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Nice. Same spec as mine except for front park. Grats. No probs with mine and I ran in similarly to above. My second 2.0T after the GTI.

BTW, watch the hatch opening height. It can catch you out in an older style garage.

woofy
17-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Oh I already had my hatch accident two years ago when I got my 6, it can open no probs in the garage, but I had moved it into the middle to clean it out and the spoiler clipped the metal foot on the tilt a door...many bad words were said that night...

Not redlining it, but have been getting it over a range of revs so have got not far off 5-5,500 rpm on the odd gear shift........always make sure it's warmed right up before any of that.

I had to laugh when the dealer opened the bonnet and told me the most important bit was to check the windscreen water tank, the Mazda dealer told me the same thing with my 6 years ago. I mentioned I probably would keep an eye on the oil, and he said "oh ok, I don't know much about engines"....

It's not hard to vary the revs in city traffic.....just have to watch my work trips on freeways for a while.

Has anyone picked up what I was talking about with the lights.....even if you can't see it, try running your hand from left to right....

gregozedobe
17-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Has anyone picked up what I was talking about with the lights.....even if you can't see it, try running your hand from left to right....

I was washing mine tonight (first wash, and I've had it for 5 months, bloody water restrictions !) so I had a good look at my headlights. Mine are totally smooth on the outside, no ridges, no mould marks, no lines etc, nada. The lens is totally clear in front of both low and high beam. They are factory Xenons, but I thought the std halogen lights had the same exterior lens as mine.

woofy
18-11-2008, 02:45 PM
These might not be so obvious....we had to run our hands over the lights to even detect them....the passenger side had the more noticable one.

gregozedobe
18-11-2008, 04:59 PM
As I said (and I did check by running my fingers carefully over both lights):

Mine are totally smooth on the outside, no ridges, no mould marks, no lines etc, nada. The lens is totally clear in front of both low and high beam.

Next time I'm in at my dealers I'll have a look at the ones he has in stock (usu 1/2 dozen or so)

woofy
18-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Hmm weird......

mrgolf
18-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I looked on mine. Nought. I would have thought the bits which dictate light direction would be in the actual projector itself.

woofy
18-11-2008, 09:13 PM
As odd as it seems, I think both my front lights have been malformed, not really any other explanation for it. If that's the case though, how they passed QC when someone noticed it from 5m away beats me.

I was thinking of dropping by the dealers, they don't even have their own workshop yet so not sure who is meant to be fixing these kinds of things.

mrgolf
19-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Post pics. Maybe you are worrying about nothing...

woofy
20-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Yeah I have been meaning to do that, only noticed it when someone pointed it out on Sunday night...and then have been interstate until 1am today so will do it tonight. Had a quick look this morning, the two "funny" bits happen in front of the round direct light (with the frosting) in the cluster, not the other light. Looking at the passenger light side on, you can see the bulge sticking out and straight on it is visible as a distorted bit. The drivers side isn't so noticable, and is harder to see.

woofy
03-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Seems my lights are the only weird ones, not even any of the others in the showroom had the prob, they took one look and have now ordered new headlights.

gregozedobe
04-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Be interesting to see how long they take to get them in, it will give us Skoda owners some idea of whether they carry spare headlights in Oz or not.

woofy
04-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I've been wondering a lot lately about how long it would take to repair the Skoda should I be unlucky enough to need that. I suspect quite a while, but could be wrong.

gregozedobe
04-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Depends very much on what you need. A lot of the mechanical components are identical (or very similar) to what is used in Golfs and Audi A3s, so they shouldn't be too hard to get. In fact that was one of the major factors I considered before buying my Skoda, if it had been a complete stand-alone model and manufacturer I wouldn't have gone near it. But I figured Golfs were so popular I could always get parts for them.

Body parts (eg after a smash) may be more difficult to obtain. Worst case scenario you could privately import from UK or Cz (but freight would cost for the larger bits).

mrx
04-12-2008, 09:46 AM
I know they at least have a grill available in Sydney, from when I was making my enquiries re purchasing a spare for colour coding. The last warranty work that was done on my Golf, the part, which I would assume to be very common, had to come from Singapore! Only took a couple of days though.

brad
04-12-2008, 01:43 PM
The dealer I bought from doesn't even carry an oil filter for a 1.8T... and wanted >$25 for it. :eek:

When my Fuel Pressure regulator died the new unit was ordered Thursday lunchtime & arrived Monday morning (or maybe late Friday afternoon too late to fit).