PDA

View Full Version : another one waiting, waiting, waiting...

clip
16-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Better intro myself. I'm in Bris now and waiting for my Tig to arrive. Only ordered it last month so they're saying end of March - or later.

Anyway, all good things come to those that wait etc etc.

Just out of interest for anyone not sure which way to go, this is how I ended up with a Tig:

I have a busted back (motorbike accident), and my first need is for the seating position offered in most suvs or larger 4x4s.

the list: (as I'm new to the SUV / soft roader scene, the following comments are just my opinion and I apologize in advance if I offend anyone - not the intention)

1. 2wd v6 Kluger. 200kw should do it nicely. BUT, this car should not be allowed on the road! Simple as that, it's a bloody nightmare to drive. Understeer to buggery, too much power to the front wheels that leaves you standing at the lights with the front wheels spinning! Useless and dangerous and really too big for my needs anyway.

2. Forester. OK but that's it. Felt and looked "old". Quality not there anymore. Need drastic upgrade - and with their oil burning issues in other models, Subaru really need to go into damage control.

3. V6 RAV4. Much better than the Kluger. This actually went around corners! Power to spare and much better delivered than on the Klug. Cheap feel to it though, not comfortable enough for me, back sore after 20min.

4. Mazda CX7. Probably worst after the Kluger, and the biggest disappointment given the hype around these. Poor viability, searing heat through the huge front windscreen, awful turbo lag, and felt, well felt like it had a small 4cyl in it that you were ringing the neck of to get it going. Once it got going it was great though. No headroom (I'm 188cm) and my head was hitting the roof even with the seat down as low as possible.

5. Honda CRV. OK, good quality finish, good feel to it, not enough power. Just a very "beige" car.

6. BMW X3. Like the look of them, nice interior, go OK, but something just not right with the dynamics. Over inflated price tag, low resale and not good value for money IMO.

7. New Suzuki Grand Vitara. The biggest surprise. Went well, lots of grunt from the V6, not as big a performer as the RAV4, but felt more torquey (haven't checked the specs). Probably handled the best of the real 4x4's when really pushed. This car really surprised me, but they are expensive now ($40>), although the pick if I wanted to go off road.

So I was going to buy either the RAV4V6 or the Suzi. Then someone mentioned the new Tiguan.

6 drives later, more stuffing around than I've ever done with a car before (too many options!), and the deposit is down on a 125. Re-map already ordered and just hoping that they can take the 125kw to the max. 189kw in this weight would be very nice thank you very much.

The Tig ticked all the boxes. Just have to do the waiting thing!

Cheers.

Transporter
16-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Congratulation and welcome to the forum.
The waiting is well worth it. If you got the VIN number you can trace your vehicle right from the factory. If you don't have the VIN you should ask you dealer to give it to you than you know that nobody will get your Tiguan and you would be waiting longer.

Cheers
MM

clip
17-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Congratulation and welcome to the forum.
The waiting is well worth it. If you got the VIN number you can trace your vehicle right from the factory. If you don't have the VIN you should ask you dealer to give it to you than you know that nobody will get your Tiguan and you would be waiting longer.

Cheers
MM
thanks MM. I'll do just that (not that I don't trust them implicitly!).

How do I trace it though?

phaeton
18-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Welcome Clip :D

clip
18-11-2008, 10:50 AM
thanks phaeton, great news link too!

Silver Surfer
18-11-2008, 09:10 PM
How do I trace it though?

Hope this works for you http://www.2global.com/wep/index.jsp

1.Customer tools: Go to Cargo Tracking

2.Track by: Go to Auto Cargo

3.Cargo ID: Enter Vin Number WVW etc

Good luck with the wait

Paul.

clip
20-11-2008, 06:46 PM
cheers mate - much appreciated.

brh1978
26-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Here is some food for thought...

I've had my Tiguan on order for more than just a little while - 147TSI Black, Black Leather, Dynaudio, Park Assist + dealer fitted iPod adapter & mats.

Here's the order time line my dealer just gave me -

30/05/08 - Order Entry Dealer System
27/05/08 - Order Entry NADIN
30/05/08 - Order Registration IFA
30/05/08 - Buildability Check
24/11/08 - SGW Rebooking
24/11/08 - Current SGW Determination
3/01/09 - Allocation of product plant
3/01/09 - Handover to production
28/01/09 - Start Body Shell Shop
End Body Shell Shop
29/01/09 - Start Paint Shop
End Paint Shop
30/01/09 - Start Final Assembly
31/01/09 - Checkpoint 8 Handover to Sales
Start Service Shop
End Service Shop
4/02/09 - Exit Production Plant
9/02/09 - Arrival Port of Shipment
17/02/09 - Departure Port of Shipment
Departure last Port of Transit
3/04/09 - Arrival at Port of Destination
3/04/09 - Departure from Port of Destination
6/04/09 - Arrival at final Destination

Yes...I am very patient!

clip
26-11-2008, 04:51 PM
sheesh, that's 12 months!!! Maybe I should have taken that 125 silver auto. Guess it would be gone by now. Then again the thought of an auto just spoils it for me, but maybe I could have got used to it :???:

brh1978
26-11-2008, 05:44 PM
When I ordered the car they told me it would be delivered Nov 08, then they said Jan 09 and then March 09...luckily it now has a confirmed built date for April 09!

With a bit of luck the economic downturn will slow down northern hemisphere orders...which should free up allocation for Aussie orders, speeding up delivery times.

Last time I visited Austral VW they had a few 125TSI's in stock, pretty sure they were all auto's though maybe worth giving them or Highway Auto a call?

Did you get a VIN and manage to get that tracking website to work? The URL won't work for me (I haven't got a VIN but I'm going to visit the dealer this weekend so will see if I can get it).

Sharkie
26-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Spoke to Sunshine Coast VW (Gary Crick) last Wednesday and they had 6 125kw Tiguans available for immediate delivery. 5 x manual and 1 x auto. Not sure of the exact specs of each.

Don't know what the current status is.

Tigga1
16-12-2008, 11:40 AM
sheesh, that's 12 months!!! Maybe I should have taken that 125 silver auto. Guess it would be gone by now. Then again the thought of an auto just spoils it for me, but maybe I could have got used to it :???:

Hey clip
bought the 125TSI auto myself recently, had similar concerns, but it's definitely growing on me. power is pretty good, and much better and more linear than I expected. I'm also keen to see what Guy H comes up with, but stock standard is definitely no slouch, even in automatic.
would have preferred manual (for a change) but the thought of waiting 6-9 mths didn't appeal.
plus the Tigga in stock had a sunroof and was my colour of choice (silver leaf).
all I've done is stuck on a H&R H/D rear sway bar (adjustable), makes for much better cornering and driving up and down the range every day to work.
good luck with the car!:)

clip
17-12-2008, 05:28 PM
That's great news! Was it the one in Toowoomba? Good to hear about the power delivery. Interestingly I was checking out the comparisons between the suzuki V6 and the tig. The 2lt Tig has 30nm more torque than the 2.7 v6! Less kW at 125 v 137 for the suzuki, but that torque figure would be big advantage- especially for an auto.

I wonder if Guy got hold of someone's for the work? You might have to take one for the team and lend him yours Tigga! I'd give him mine in a heartbeat - if I had it :frown:

Interesting about the rear sway bar, be a definite for me if it helps flatten the handling. Can I ask you how much, where you got it from, and did you fit it yourself?

:toast:

gerhard
17-12-2008, 06:16 PM
That's great news! Was it the one in Toowoomba? Good to hear about the power delivery. Interestingly I was checking out the comparisons between the suzuki V6 and the tig. The 2lt Tig has 30nm more torque than the 2.7 v6! Less kW at 125 v 137 for the suzuki, but that torque figure would be big advantage- especially for an auto.

I wonder if Guy got hold of someone's for the work? You might have to take one for the team and lend him yours Tigga! I'd give him mine in a heartbeat - if I had it :frown:

Interesting about the rear sway bar, be a definite for me if it helps flatten the handling. Can I ask you how much, where you got it from, and did you fit it yourself?

The Suzuki now has a 3.2 V6 to replace the lame and thirsty 2.7. The TDI in the Zuk is a FWD unit swung north-south and a poor job of it IMO. Noisy and not much grunt - a yesteryear diesel.

But the Zuk and the Tig are not really the same class of car, as one has low range and the other doesn't.

Hard choice I reckon - Zuk delivered tomorrow or Tig in 12 months ......both good cars (except zuk diesel - leave alone).

clip
18-12-2008, 07:39 AM
The TDI in the Zuk is a FWD unit swung north-south and a poor job of it IMO. Noisy and not much grunt - a yesteryear diesel.

From my info, it's an 'old' Renault unit. Why the hell you'd that is beyond me. Must have got them very cheap!

The susi is good and I like the looks of it and it's handling. Haven't driven the newer version with 3.2 though. That should make a difference. However, as you say Gerhard, they're in slightly different class, and as I don't need a 4wd to go 4wding in, it falls short for me (especially the manual, - it's a bit agricultural compared to the Tig). But this waiting is killing me. I'm having to borrow my fathers little mx5 to get around in and it's killing me!

gerhard
18-12-2008, 08:00 AM
From my info, it's an 'old' Renault unit. Why the hell you'd that is beyond me. Must have got them very cheap!

The susi is good and I like the looks of it and it's handling. Haven't driven the newer version with 3.2 though. That should make a difference. However, as you say Gerhard, they're in slightly different class, and as I don't need a 4wd to go 4wding in, it falls short for me (especially the manual, - it's a bit agricultural compared to the Tig). But this waiting is killing me. I'm having to borrow my fathers little mx5 to get around in and it's killing me!

Yep, old Renault unit. :frown:

Ya poor bugga - fancy having to put up with an MX5, arguably the best car ever to come out of Japan, while you wait :)

Tigga1
18-12-2008, 08:57 AM

from Townsville...and yes, the torque is great, no power surge as it comes on early, and with the tip-tronic it's almost like driving a manual and avoids the most of the slushing of the gearbox. interestingly, the torque of both 2lt engines is the same, just more kw and a slightly different torque curve for the 147.

Actually, I did offer Guy my tig, but it's a bit far away as I'm in Far North Qld.

swaybar - from Ian@rennenhaus, great guy to deal with (had previous dealings with him for my MKV golf). Just realised I said H&R but it's actually a Neuspeed. The golf had a H&R and I read somewhere the Tig uses same bars as MKVR32. Ian had the R32 bars in stock at prices before the recent downturn, from memory around $600 incl neuspeed h/d linkpins.

I didn't fit myself, but I don't think it's hard to do on the rear, just a bit of a philistine when it comes to mechanical stuff...started with the softest setting, which already made a difference, but have just had it changed to intermediate, makes a great difference.

hope this helps:)

Transporter
18-12-2008, 12:01 PM
from Townsville...and yes, the torque is great, no power surge as it comes on early, and with the tip-tronic it's almost like driving a manual and avoids the most of the slushing of the gearbox. interestingly, the torque of both 2lt engines is the same, just more kw and a slightly different torque curve for the 147.

Actually, I did offer Guy my tig, but it's a bit far away as I'm in Far North Qld.

swaybar - from Ian@rennenhaus, great guy to deal with (had previous dealings with him for my MKV golf). Just realised I said H&R but it's actually a Neuspeed. The golf had a H&R and I read somewhere the Tig uses same bars as MKVR32. Ian had the R32 bars in stock at prices before the recent downturn, from memory around $600 incl neuspeed h/d linkpins.

I didn't fit myself, but I don't think it's hard to do on the rear, just a bit of a philistine when it comes to mechanical stuff...started with the softest setting, which already made a difference, but have just had it changed to intermediate, makes a great difference.

hope this helps:)

Can you tell us please what fuel economy you're getting?

Tigga1
18-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Can you tell us please what fuel economy you're getting?

normal driving to work (up and down a range gets me around 11.5km/l, better on longer drive, probably about 12.5km/l

Transporter
19-12-2008, 11:08 AM
normal driving to work (up and down a range gets me around 11.5km/l, better on longer drive, probably about 12.5km/l

Thanks, that is very good result for petrol engine comparing to diesel in the Tiguan.

Silver Surfer
19-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Averaging 8.8 per 100klms in 125kw petrol. Driving a few steep hills, round the doors and the occasional freeway run. We now have approximately 5000 on the clock.

TonyTA
11-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Averaging 8.8 per 100klms in 125kw petrol. Driving a few steep hills, round the doors and the occasional freeway run. We now have approximately 5000 on the clock.
So what are people getting on the TDI?

NZTiguan
12-01-2009, 01:03 PM
So what are people getting on the TDI?

We did a good trip of 1600 plus km recently on winding sometimes quite hilly roads (up and down the West Coast of NZ) and averaged 6.6l/100k which I was thrilled with.

Cheers

TonyTA
12-01-2009, 09:02 PM
We did a good trip of 1600 plus km recently on winding sometimes quite hilly roads (up and down the West Coast of NZ) and averaged 6.6l/100k which I was thrilled with.
Yes, I'd be pretty happy too!
;-)

So with my rough maths, that means you will have filled up...mmm...let me think...once in the WHOLE TRIP! And had 1/2 a tank to spare when you got home?

Tell me, what sort of magic numbers do you get around town with?

NZTiguan
13-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Yes, I'd be pretty happy too!
;-)

So with my rough maths, that means you will have filled up...mmm...let me think...once in the WHOLE TRIP! And had 1/2 a tank to spare when you got home?

Tell me, what sort of magic numbers do you get around town with?

That's basically correct, we actually filled up twice I think (actually I "think" it was three times, Fox Glacier, Nelson and Christchurch) but where only half full (or empty depending on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist !!) and the tank was still around half full when we arrived home. We drove from Alexandra to Nelson via the West coast, then through Blenhiem and Christchurch and down the East Coast home. I do recall that when we refilled in Christchurch I wished I had the camera nearby cos the MFD showed 970km to go on the tank as I pulled out of the petrol station !! Worth noting that this was an overall average for the trip which included a bit of round town driving in Nelson, Blenhiem and christchurch as well.

We live in a very small town (Alexandra) and our round town milage is only averaging around 8.2l/100k but I still think that's pretty darn good for a small SUV with the air-con running all the time and no real attempt to drive conservatively.

Cheers

TonyTA
13-01-2009, 08:49 PM
MFD showed 970km to go on the tank as I pulled out of the petrol station !!
Indeed, that would make a pretty cool picture!
:)

round town milage is only averaging around 8.2l/100k but I still think that's pretty darn good for a small SUV with the air-con running all the time and no real attempt to drive conservatively.
Yes, you could say that!
:)

Not that I guess it makes too much difference, but are you driving manual or auto?

faisan
13-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Here is some food for thought...

I've had my Tiguan on order for more than just a little while - 147TSI Black, Black Leather, Dynaudio, Park Assist + dealer fitted iPod adapter & mats.

Here's the order time line my dealer just gave me -

30/05/08 - Order Entry Dealer System
27/05/08 - Order Entry NADIN
30/05/08 - Order Registration IFA
30/05/08 - Buildability Check
24/11/08 - SGW Rebooking
24/11/08 - Current SGW Determination
3/01/09 - Allocation of product plant
3/01/09 - Handover to production
28/01/09 - Start Body Shell Shop
End Body Shell Shop
29/01/09 - Start Paint Shop
End Paint Shop
30/01/09 - Start Final Assembly
31/01/09 - Checkpoint 8 Handover to Sales
Start Service Shop
End Service Shop
4/02/09 - Exit Production Plant
9/02/09 - Arrival Port of Shipment
17/02/09 - Departure Port of Shipment
Departure last Port of Transit
3/04/09 - Arrival at Port of Destination
3/04/09 - Departure from Port of Destination
6/04/09 - Arrival at final Destination

Yes...I am very patient!

WOW 12 months! I would never be able to wait that long for a new car! Did the dealer tell you it would take this long?

NZTiguan
14-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Not that I guess it makes too much difference, but are you driving manual or auto?

103kw diesel auto Track and Field model (28º nose, off road electronics and underbody protection etc).

Cheers

brh1978
14-01-2009, 11:10 AM
WOW 12 months! I would never be able to wait that long for a new car! Did the dealer tell you it would take this long?

The car was supposed to be delivered in Nov 08 for the Nov launch of the 147TSI range. It was pushed back due to Aust. production allocation being given to other markets...It was due in Jan then pushed to March and now confirmed for April 09...I'm not that worried as I love my current Golf and now I get a 2009 built car! I prob could have gone to another dealer and picked up a stock 147TSI but no one could match my dealers price (basically waived dealer delivery which on the Tig is thousands!).