PDA

View Full Version : ABF 16v tuner chip and fpr

golf3
23-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Hey guys!

I'm running rich, and one solution I have read is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator... Where can i get a VAG style unit that sits in the fuel rail???

Also, where can I source an ABF chip to alter the maps a little for MORE POWER!?!?!?

There's some real cheap ones on ebay that look hella dodgy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/VW-Golf-MK3-GTI-2-0L-16V-ABF-performance-Chip-8HP_W0QQitemZ320030963436QQihZ011QQcategoryZ32094Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

What about bigger cams???
Who supplies some nice ones for the ABF?
Is a chip required??
More ebay stuff...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vw-16v-cams-MK1-MK2-MK3-ABF-KR-9A-PL-Golf-Hydro-Stage-2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33614QQihZ019QQitemZ8 060807412QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

BlackVr6ix
23-10-2006, 04:12 PM
the FPR on the golfs are all Bosch, so basicaly any adjustable FPR with a bosch base "should" fit as far as i know. if you are running rich its probably best to find out why first before you start adjusting fuel maps, it could be something as simple as a faulty sensor.

if you are going down the chipping track and it sounds like you want to you'd be better off with a programable piggyback setup, that way you have infinate (as far as the piggyback allows) adjustment to fuel maps and ignition curves, were as with a chip its set and you have no adjustment.

just my 2c

Golf Loon
23-10-2006, 05:26 PM
FPRs are available in different ratings. What does yours have on it? .40 .45 or .50 I would expect to see.

I expect they are the same as VR6 ones, which are not very expensive.

If you get a bigger one it changes the pattern of the injector and can make the car run better, (or worse) :D

golf3
24-10-2006, 02:20 AM
I have a 3.0bar unit, its the same as my old 2E 8v unit....

I've been thinking about going to megasquirt DIY engine management....

Golf Loon
24-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Get a 4 bar one from VW and see if that helps

h100vw
26-10-2006, 10:46 PM
I doubt a 4 BAR regulator would help matters if it's already running rich. What's the evidence for the rich running?

Have you tested it with a gas tester? Most poor running can be attributed to electrical items not mechanical ones.

When I bought my mk 3 16V it used loads of petrol, you had to drive like Miss Daisy to get 30 MPG. My mates did 40MPG easily.

It wasn't until sometime later while replacing the suspension I found that the muppets fitting the de-cat pipe had just left the lambda probe secured to the heat shield. It just had fresh air blowing over it. The ECU constantly seeing a weak mixture tried it's hardest to correct the situation. Imagine my surprise to find it suddenly doing 40mpg on a run when the probe was in the exhaust.

Even broken wires to the probe will cause this, I have seen it loads of times on G60s. Check the output of the probe with a voltmeter.

From cold it will build up towards 1 Volt. Once there is some heat in it the voltage will hunt between about .5 and 1 volt. A digital meter won't sample fast enough to get a solid signal, plus the output should be changing as teh ECU alters the mixture.

If it gives a solid voltage at tickover after more than 5 minutes, something is well amiss.

The signal wir is usually purple in colour.

Gavin

golf3
26-10-2006, 10:58 PM
THe back of the car gets covered in black crap...it's definately running rich!!

Oh, and it blows white smoke at high rpm...

I'll try and get around to testing voltage...

How should i get to the wire?
Jack it up and go from underneath, or what???

Oh, and thanks!!!
SEAN.

BlackVr6ix
27-10-2006, 06:27 AM
I'm pretty sure if you use a computer based vag-com you can log it all. I've got one now if you need it.

Andrew

h100vw
27-10-2006, 08:12 AM
VAG-COM can see the probes output.

You can get to the wires by the rear engine mount usually. Just follow them up the firewall until you won't get burnt.

No need to get under the car.

Gavin

golf3
27-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Tops!

Someone will be able to help me!

I'll get onto that stuff

Bug_racer
02-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Give throttle body a clean and make sure none of your breather hoses are blocked or leaking . How many k's on this engine ?

golf3
03-11-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm running a catch can, the whole intake is oil residual free!
But the catch can only vents from the block, as the valve cover does not breath.

However, I think i found the problem, there seems to be a vacuum leak around the fuel pressure regulator.

Is there a good way of maintaining a good seal for vacuum lines?

BlackVr6ix
03-11-2006, 08:29 PM
if you dont want it to move, put a light wipe of hi-temp silicon around the outlet and slide the hose onto it and clamp it lightly

Valver.
04-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Get some polypropylene lines - they stretch and seal a lot tighter :)