PDA

View Full Version : RNS510 and Additional Rear DVD screens

Steve
14-11-2008, 11:54 AM
I am just about to purchase a Touareg V6 TDI, with RNS510, and want to know if there is any way that rear DVD screens can be installed and mounted in the back of the headrests of the front seats.

As I can get rear screens for about $200 each, and the specs for the RNS510 says it can play DVD's (screen turns off once moving, but sound continues) and save the $4k VW charge for the rear DVD roof mounted unit and save $4k.

Also does anyone know how to keep the RNS510 screen on when playing the DVD and moving (gotta keep the wife happy).

Steve

Steve
05-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I noted that a few people have viewed the question, but as none has replied I will take it as it has not been done in Australia.

But I did not give up and have found a convertable device in Germany (OEM product) takes the feed and allows for screens to be installed in the headrests. If anyone is interested let me know.

Guy_H
06-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Steve, we have done this setup before, but as far as rear seat entertainment is concerned, its not great.

The RNS510 will get interrupted by the navigation signals (commands & controls) interrupting the DVD play to the rear seat. You also can not view the map screen whilst playing a DVD.

One customer had this setup (about 3k), and tossed it and purchased a proper unit. Nothing worse than having upset munchkins in the rear seat!

Take it from me, the reason people don't do it is because it was not designed to do what you perceive!

Steve
11-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the direct feedback appreciated. Hadnt thought of that, will rethink this.

phantomcamel
28-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I am just about to purchase a Touareg V6 TDI, with RNS510, and want to know if there is any way that rear DVD screens can be installed and mounted in the back of the headrests of the front seats.

As I can get rear screens for about $200 each, and the specs for the RNS510 says it can play DVD's (screen turns off once moving, but sound continues) and save the $4k VW charge for the rear DVD roof mounted unit and save $4k.

Also does anyone know how to keep the RNS510 screen on when playing the DVD and moving (gotta keep the wife happy).

Steve Screens can be installed no problem - JCA has done this for me for an R50. Cabling nicely threaded thru the headrest pipes. The DVD sfaty "turn off" function can be over-riiden with a unit called "TV in motion" - you can by it @ Kufatec USA, Inc., The #1 Supplier of OEM Volkswagen & Audi Retrofit Harnesses in the World (http://kufatec.com) - Have used products from them many times for my customers.