PDA

View Full Version : 1.9 TDi - really happy with economy

Frufru
10-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I just passed 10k on my Skoda and have to say I am very happy with economy on 1.9 TDi :). My last tank got me 1150 km (that includes 2 litres left in the tank - not a good idea to go that low but was just busy running about). Economy seems to be improving the more kms I have on the clock. It improved about 10% since new.

For example, on Sunday I was driving West Coast Hwy in Perth in ideal conditions, cruising :driver: about 80 kmh. At the end of the trip I had consumption 3.8 l /100km :bowdown: for 25 km trip (on the way back it went up to 4.1 l but still pretty good). I just could not believe it. True is the maximum speed you can do here is 110 kmh so it is difficult to do more than 120 kmh and therefore I dont do any high consumtpion stuff. However, the engine is still quite frugal even in the traffic. This morning on my way to work at peak hour (between 8:20 and 9:10 - did some running about too) I had 4.8 l / 100 km while when new it was more like 5.5 l/100km or more.

Transporter
10-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Is it calculated from the fuel docket or just from the trip computer?
Still, it is a very good fuel economy.

WEDEL.1
10-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm looking forward to getting that kink of economy. Our Golf V has only done 1300kms so far. It'll get a good run to Melbourne DOVW.

Maris

Frufru
10-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I got all numbers for immediate consumption (l/100 km) from my trip computer. And yes, I got told that it is actually off by 7%. On the other hand, numbers per tank should be reliable as long as my trip computer is not overestimating distance travelled.

Mind you, I did not get this kind of economy until 10k. After first 3000 km the economy just got progressively better. So this running in period was certainly quite noticeable in my case. On the other hand I am aware of the facts that: driving in Perth which is usually on a rather flat landscape, ambient temperatures lately were ideal (20-25 degrees, not too hot for aircon to work too hard) and traffic is I dare to say not as heavy as there is in Sydney or Melbourne.