PDA

View Full Version : V6 Bora cruise machine

micklosh
08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi to all,

This is my first ever forum and first ever VW. Picked up a black on black V6 4-motion Bora 01model with 88k on the clock. Super neat car with reasonable performance and plenty of luxury to make it very nice to drive indeed. After owning it for 7 months the time has come to upgrade the rims to 18's and do something about the suspension.
I am considering a 35mm drop all round on 235/40/18 tyres and would like to hear anyones opinion regarding this combo on my car. Will the tryes rub or will it be ok? I have quotes from K-Mac and Pedders lowered springs. Are they any good or should I spend more money on other brands?
Also I hear a lot of talk about changing the rear bar for improved handling. Should I do this at the same time as the springs. If so what size?
Any help would be very appreciated guys. And I suppose I should get some pics up too.
See ya!
Micklosh

bahjah
08-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi to all,
And I suppose I should get some pics up too.

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!

hahaha welcome to the forums!

goodfella
08-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Welcome aboard Micklosh... good to see the Bora V6 membership increasing...

If you're a sydney sider, it'll be good to catch up some day, you should get along to a cruise to meet some of the other members....

Cheers,
Dave

Jarred
08-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Dub_Star_V6
08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Welcome Micklosh.

An '01 with 88k on the clock sounds like it must have only been driven to the shops or church on Sundays! That's fantastic.

I also recently picked up an '03 V6 4Mo and have started modding it myself. You can check its progress here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=20858).

Also, upgrading to 18"s requires 225/40, as 235/40 will mean your speedo will be over 2% out (indicated 100 will actually be 102). This will also effect your gearing and odometer. 225 is more than adequate.

The V6 is a big, heavy car too so make sure to leave some compliance in your suspension, as -35mm doesn't leave much room for travel. I'd personally go for a fat rear bar before reaching for springs, as you'll find the difference it makes not insignificant to the way the car handles. Weight transfer FTW.

Sehr Gut GTi
08-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Also, upgrading to 18"s requires 225/40, as 235/40 will mean your speedo will be over 2% out (indicated 100 will actually be 102). This will also effect your gearing and odometer. 225 is more than adequate.

Excuse me for possibly a silly question but why would 225 vs 235 mm in tread width affect the speedo or gearing ? I would have thought a change in diameter of wheel. Actually I think it just dawned on me 40% of 235 is more than 40% of 225:duh:

Is this correct ?

Cheers

Mischa
08-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Excuse me for possibly a silly question but why would 225 vs 235 mm in tread width affect the speedo or gearing ? I would have thought a change in diameter of wheel. Actually I think it just dawned on me 40% of 235 is more than 40% of 225:duh:

Is this correct ?

Cheers

yep the profile is proportional to the width

theres no need to go to 235 anyway.

as for springs most people on the vw scene would recommend staying away from places like pedders and sticking to euro brands such as eibach, h&r, KW etc etc :)

welcome to the forum.

micklosh
09-11-2008, 04:03 AM
Gents,

Thanks to all responding. Cool to see so many enthusiests interested. Thanks for the info. I might go for the rear bar first/ I'd still like to see the 235's tho. I can live with a slight speedo difference.

Dub_Star_V6
09-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Why would 225 vs 235 mm in tread width affect the speedo or gearing ? I would have thought a change in diameter of wheel.

The rolling diameter of the vehicle must remain the same or within 2%, even if you change the size of the wheel. This is why aspect ratio (or profile i.e. 40) is so important. If the tyre size is out, everything related to it (your speed, gearing and distance) are no longer right because the rolling diameter is no longer calibrated correctly.

I'd still like to see the 235's tho. I can live with a slight speedo difference.

The V6 is complied to run on 205/55-16 as stock. So while you may be able to live with a slight difference in your speedo, your local transport department or insurance company may not, as fitting 235s will mean it is non-compliant.

VW recommends 225/45-17 for a +1 upgrade (within .4% of OEM) and 225/40-18 for +2 (within .8%), which is so close as to make no difference.

Rolling diameter for the stock set-up is 63.2cm, going to 235/40-18 will make it 64.5 (2.1% too big, meaning the same error in your instruments, odometer and gearing.) This also means that the car has actually travelled more than what is indicated on your odometer because the rolling diameter of the wheels so far out. This may cause other legal or insurance issues when it comes time to register or sell.

Anyway, if you're considering the 235 purely for cosmetic reasons, then also consider that the sidewall height on the 225 is 4mm less than the 235 :biggrin:

micklosh
09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
The info you have outlined is hard to ignore. I definitely want to stay within the law so 225's it is.
Also- I have read a lot about a "haldex upgrade" and people saying it has been their best "bang for buck" upgrade so far. I have researched this topic over the past few days and still feel a little in the dark re. the practicle day to day difference I would feel. Anyone else had this upgrade. If so any comments would useful.
My camera packed it in today so my black bora must wait till it out before i get her up.
Thanks again.
Micklosh

Ben_GTI
23-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Well read up the forums and get an idea of what most people do. The masses are usually onto a good thing.

Also work out what you want from your car, handling vs speed.... or if you have the cash both!!

Silver dub
26-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I would recommend not to go for pedders, look into eibach and other german brands. i choose eibach and i was rapped with it.

Shane
27-11-2008, 07:44 AM
welcome along to the black V6 bora owners club lol i have mine lowered on koni coilovers and i rate them very highly,comfort level is surprisingly good for coilovers with no compromise on handling as you can see from my sig pic lol