PDA

View Full Version : fast glass

VR6child
06-11-2008, 07:09 PM
we use this stuff at work and i was wondering, before i use it on my car if its okay to use on tint? i would assume so seeing as its an ag product i believe. i just heard some window cleaners were unsafe for use with tinted windows. cheers.

The_Hawk
06-11-2008, 07:26 PM
most tint places recommend nothing but warm water (maybe with a drop of soap) for the insides (the tinted bit) of your windows to help prevent the tint going purple or getting damaged.

Personally I use a damp chamios on the inside and kitten glass cleaner on the outside (also the inside of the windscreen). For my $$'s I find kitten cuts through the gunk beautifully :D

(Mind you, I'm sure there are lots of products which won't harm your tint, but in the end water is the safest thing to tell everyone to use).

DMS_Dan
07-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Yes totally tint safe. As is Stoners Invisable glass and Megs NXT glass cleaner

WEDEL.1
11-11-2008, 06:50 AM
I use a microfibre cloth with a mist of water on the inside. This is the best result I have ever had cleaning the interior windows.

On the outside I treat the windows with Rain X. That seems to give the glass a good clean, as well as making the water run off in beads.

Maris

Mrk_Mickey
11-11-2008, 08:51 AM
My tinter told me that I can use any product I want on the tints, provided it didn't have acetone in it. He said that was the bad thing about some products that people use and screw up their tinting; otherwise, everything else is fine.

gavs
11-11-2008, 12:36 PM
My tinter told me that I can use any product I want on the tints, provided it didn't have acetone in it. He said that was the bad thing about some products that people use and screw up their tinting; otherwise, everything else is fine.

Or ammonia, it also like ruining tint. It's a common ingredient in household window cleaners:)

Mrk_Mickey
11-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Or ammonia, it also like ruining tint. It's a common ingredient in household window cleaners:)

Actually, that's what I meant. Not acetone :duh: I thought it was the same as the nail polish stuff hahaha.

gavs
13-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Ha Ha, yeah, acetone just might be a bit strong for window tint:):)

Damian@FI
02-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Alcohol is Tint safe, Ammonia isn't, have a sniff and if you can smell Ammonia, don't use it on the tint, it's not too bad for the outside glass, just don't get it on the Paintwork.

d.

The_Hawk
02-12-2008, 08:34 PM
On the outside I treat the windows with Rain X. That seems to give the glass a good clean, as well as making the water run off in beads.

Ah I RainX, how I hate you. I used it on my old Type III Fastback, in light rain it was great since you didn't need to turn the wipers on, but as it started to wear off it would smear the window. In the end I only used it for side and rear windows where it was great. Was it just the dodgy wipers in the Type III? Was it me not putting it on often enough? Have they improved it??

I still swear by the Kitten cleaner, and I do run some of the windscreen cleaner stuff in the washer bottle which seems to work wonderfully. (note the type III never had a washer bottle, so this wasn't a factor)

VR6child
02-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Tell me more about rainx. Sound interesting.

WEDEL.1
03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Buy RainX at KMart etc.

Some say they use it on aeroplane windscreens ;-)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ (http://imageshack.us) http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ (http://imageshack.us)

WEDEL.1
03-12-2008, 09:15 PM
I haven't had any negative issues with it, but sometimes the bugs can be difficult to remove.

Once, it was recommended for plastics. I used it on tail lights etc with good success, but I see now on the directions, it's not recommended.

Maris

gregozedobe
15-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Ah I RainX, how I hate you. I used it on my old Type III Fastback, in light rain it was great since you didn't need to turn the wipers on, but as it started to wear off it would smear the window. In the end I only used it for side and rear windows where it was great. Was it just the dodgy wipers in the Type III? Was it me not putting it on often enough? Have they improved it??

RainX is great when freshly applied, but it wears off quite quickly, then it starts to go slimey and smear (especially in cold, damp weather with a cold windscreen). I found I was re-applying it every 4-6 weeks unless it rained a lot, when it needed re-doing even more frequently.

These days I use Aquapel, which is not quite as good as fresh RainX for water beading, but Aquapel lasts for 40+ weeks, which is much better (but of course it costs a lot more than RainX). NB I have no connection with Aquapel, I'm just a satisfied customer.

If you decide to remove RainX from glass, I've had good results using Amway metal polish (but wet your window first, apply the polish to a wet rag and rinse very thoroughly when you've finished).

dynamictiger
16-08-2009, 08:04 AM
If you keep your windscreen clean then I have found no advantage to the Rain X type products. I regularly clean mine with Nxt Glass Cleaner - which is tint safe for inside as well, and periodically polish the windscreen with Autoglym Glass Polish.

My existing car is 18 months old and I am asked by those that don't know if it is new.

JVLR32
21-08-2009, 10:57 PM
A hot chamios works well.....