PDA

View Full Version : Calling all VagCom users

johnvw
05-11-2008, 07:15 PM
My first thread and looking forward to your knowledgable replies.
I have recently become aware of VAGCOM, have started searching the net and various articles/forums to determine if I can justify the cost.
As the uninitiated, I am not really interested in enabling/disabling audible alarms for seat belts, or closing windows if it rains ( respectful to other forum members and posts).
I see the main advantage as investigating alarms that may or may not prove to be critical/costly, without the need to visit the VW dealer and pay for the privalege of having them disabled.
Pre ECU days I would do all timing and tuning, oil changes, brakes etc.
I still do regular oil changes and constantly wonder what I am paying for when the cars go in for some servicing.

Would the use of VAGCOM indicate an early warning of wear or near failing parts. My ideal would be to use VAGCOM with regular oil changes and become aware if replacment parts were required without the need to suddenly have to rush to the dealership with a problem.
You would now be aware just how naive I am in regard to VAGCOM.
I would welcome input from the VAGCOM users in respect to how technically this unit is assisting them in maintaining their cars.
I currently have a Passat 1.8turbo 1999 and Golf gti 2007, with view to replacing the Passat with an Audi A4, 2010/11.
I thank you for your patience and replies in advance
Regards John

h100vw
05-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

You cannot predict failures with VAG-COM any more than you could by eye.

With the complex systems running modern cars you couldn't hope to maintain a modern VW or Audi yourself without access to some kind of code reader.

I personally have VAG-COMs USB+CAN lead and it works great. You can get a cheap lead from ebay but that doesn't work with the latest and greatest software or the newest vehicles.

There are standalone code readers out there too. I wouldn't buy one myself as I already have my lead. They seem to be cheaper but I can't say how well they work. They would be the best option if you don't have a laptop.

Add your location to you profile, maybe someone close by would give you a demo. If you happen to be in Adelaide, I would be happy to do that for you. I'll also have my lead with me next weekend at the DOVW in Melbourne.

Gavin

bluey
06-11-2008, 07:36 AM
I've been looking to get vag-com or VSDS (the main commercial software by Rosstech) too. VSDS seems much better software than the shareware version. I like you am an interested DIY type, mostly because the quality of mechanics I have come across over the years is so patchy.

(Had to get the NRMA to replace a dead battery while on holiday a few months ago which happened to suddenly die while parked on the driveway of the holiday resort. Gosh the mechanic's tools looked like he got them from Crazy Clarks. He managed to ruin a simple 10mm antirattle nut holding the battery frame to strut tower and replaced it with a non-locking one.)

I understand a lot of the reported "unreliablity" of VWs is due to simple "check engine" warning lights which are often not serious and therefore that having access to vag-com is mandatory for a long-term owner. A few visits to the dealer with these problem would easily cover the cost of the cable.

Rosstech staff including Uwe Ross (the inventor) hang out at VW Vortex in the vag-com forum, so you can ask the horse directly!

The cheaper models of RossTech cable are better value but won't attach to as many cars, so you have to study the vehicle compatibility guide carefully to figure out which will be most useful. Nobody I can find so far carries them locally and the exchange rate is crap at the moment otherwise I would order from USA.

Cheaper cables from ebay seem to have a patchy track record - occasional stories of computers being fried are not good. I have seen one cable which claims to be functionally compatible with the latest vag-com spec and you can even download their software from the web site (not genuine Rosstech and cable won't work with rosstech software).
http://www.fjetech.com/vwaudi_can_bus_usb_cable_vag-com_805_0.html

I am interested to analyse/capture some performance data from VSDS/vag-com while the car is newish thinking that having that as a benchmark will permit me to analyse patterns suggestive of problems before failure. Otherwise one needs to have a load of experience to know what all the numbers mean. (Read a thread on injector problems and it seemed the numbers were difficult to interpret.)

Best early warning of internal engine part problems appears to be regular used oil analysis. Other than that, most parts have a known useful life before failure becomes likely. Some of the parts manufacturers publish papers on failure -I think I have seen something from Gates on drive belt failures. If only the Mazda dealer did its job and replaced the alternator belt before it shredded itself on the freeway. Preventive maintenance replacing limited life parts that don't cost much is a no-brainer.

simmo675
06-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't be without my VAG-COM, mainly because of my mistrust of dealers! I'm always happier when I have some idea of where a problem may be. Along with help from the technical forums you should be able to at least diagnose any issues as they come up. At least then you can choose whether you DIY or take it to a mechanic.

Another thought is that if you are running more than one Audi/VW you would be twice as likely to need one?

johnvw
06-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Thank you Gavin, Bluey and Simmo675,
There appears to be too many posts to suggest that VAGCOM is good value for money. I am not interested in after market/ebay stuff, too many potential problems can occur with limited backup service.
I plan to investigate more ( and be extra good to my lady, with USD at 0.675 local dealer is quoting $550 (COM-USD+CAN), from memory only. I did not find the local distributor really helpful, he may have thought I was just a dill. I am having a devil of a job finding the connector port in the Golf Gti 2007, it`s there somewhere.
Thanks again, I am located in Sydney and will try to upgrade the profile thing.
We old f.rts are always grateful for your patience and assistance with these matters of the heart.
Regards John
P.S._ Service Manuals, I assume you fellas are referring to the Bentley Manuals, Golf Gti 2007 will be available locally Feb/Mar 2009.

Has anyone found other manuals to be of greater assistance ???

The_Hawk
06-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Bentley is great and well worth the money if your going to play with your own car.

VAG-COM is interesting. If your not going to change any of the values, then one of the scanner tools may be a better (and cheaper) investment. I have one of the cheap FleeBay cables which works (in read mode) with the older RossTech software, but not with newer cars. Since I have a Mk3, it's all good :D

Would I recommend getting the Ross Tech cable to the average punter? If your not planning on doing lots of crazy engine mods, chances are you won't thrown many (if any) error codes, all of which one of the hand held scanners would read (and reset). I know if I didn't have my working knock off I would probably get one of the hand held jobbies.

One thing that is worth asking to those who have the full on Ross Tech solution is what the software and error codes tell you? Is there any clear documentation (like a single manual) that says this adaption code does this and that one does that? Is there detailed info on what the different error codes mean and further what possible trouble shooting steps or solutions might be available?? I do understand it's all designed for "trained technicians", but I would have thought their would be a training course with appropriate manual for them to refer to after the fact or when new models come out. That sort of ongoing information and support may well be worth the entry costs of the Ross Tech cable.

johnvw
06-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanking you, still doing lots of looking, checking, possible purchase after Jan/Feb 2009. Bentley not available until then.
Regards John

bluey
03-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Found this interesting article about audi TT
http://www.wikitt.org/wikiTT/images/f/fc/TTweakers-Guide.pdf
Has lots on info on VAG-COM and diagnostics, etc. Extremely interesting reading.

ERWIN is probably the best manual source - genuine VW updated electronically. Search the forum for a post all about how to get best value from ERWIN. I have yet to get round to downloading all I can from ERWIN, but I understand that all the diagnostic codes are there somewhere.