PDA

View Full Version : Dyn 342 vs Focal 165VR3 vs others???

dangerous_daveo
05-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Ok, got bored of the standard speakers with the my IDQ10 sub. They just don't cut it anymore.

So at present I have the sub, running off an Alpine PDX4.150 amp, and stocko front speakers. (Jetta TSI 3 ways).

So its the Dynaudio 342s, or the Focal 165VR3s (pretty sure its them...) they should fit in the stocko locations, no cutting etc.

So trick is the Dyns would be about $1900 installed, with sound deadening (dynmat). The focals come in around $1200 installed, with sound deadening. So from peoples experiences would the dyns be worth the extra $700. I mean its a lot, especially when you start considering that money could go towards a new deck, which has the potential to prove more improvement than the speakers.

The other thing to keep in mind is, the Aussie dollar being the way it is, the price of all this gear is going to jump 20% or so once current stocks in Aust run out. Hence trying to make a decission sooner rather than later to take advantage of that.

Also, once again due to the dollar, and the potental saving of getting everything done at once. What are peoples opinions/experiences of the Alpine 9887.

Basically, if I were to go the Dyns, and the alpine deck, with all the canbus stuff, and a proper front face to fit the single din deck neatly, it would be atm $3k. If I pushed I could probably get a tad more off it.

Mr İharisma
05-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Would look into:
Morel Elate 6
Oz 180CS
Oz 380CS
Hertz MLK165
Hertz MLK2
MB Quart QSC216
Eton A1
Seas Lotus Performance
Diamond HEX
Phass T650

Just a few I can think of. Definately get out and audition as many as possible before making a decision. Especially if your going to spend so much $$$.

Alpine deck is very good - Glidn has one I think.

glidn
06-11-2008, 02:49 PM
As Mr Charisma as given you alternatives.
I guess the answer would be yes that the Dyn's would be better than that of the Focal. But they both are in slightly different region in Car Audio world.

Also the Seas Lotus apparently are excellent value for money.
Even the Morel.

Why not look at Image Dynamix front stage to match the sub?

As for the 9887, it's a superb radio for what it has and what it does it does well.
You can go one step further by using the imprint tuning kit on the car too. Just remember to turn your amp gain on the subs to half the gain of it's current settings and also put the tweeters to there brightest setting, than once imprinted turn Gain on amp back up to it's original location and also drop the tweeters attenuation back to it's original -db. It should sound pretty damn good after that.

dangerous_daveo
06-11-2008, 05:55 PM
I think the problem is atm is trying to find someone who has them all. For me I really need to hear one, 5min break, hear the next, so on and so on.

I guess more so the question was, are the dyns worth the extra. Because its a fair wack extra.

Just going off Mr Charismas list (btw, thanks) Fairly keen on the 3 way set up this time, having a reasonable 2way set up, I think its worth the effort to go the 3ways. Not saying they are always going to be better, but they have the potential to, as its more speakers, each doing less work.
Morel Elate 6 - 2 ways
Oz 180CS - 2 ways
Oz 380CS - 3 ways, price is right, who the hell sells it in Brisbane???
Hertz MLK165 - 2 ways
Hertz MLK2 - ekking expensive
MB Quart QSC216 - More than I want to spend, and I've got MBs in the other car.
Eton A1 - 2 ways again.
Seas Lotus Performance - 2 ways
Diamond HEX - 2 ways
Phass T650 - 2 ways

I know I could always add in speakers to make the 3 way set up, but that costs even MORE money.

Anyway, back to the deck, I was reading about the imprint thingo today. I'm fairly sure the stereo shop I go to just does it for their customers, sure you cant keep doing it yourself, but its a fair wack cheaper than forking out for the kit! The deck is more so a question do I want to strech myself that little extra atm to save a little extra down the track.

Mr İharisma
06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Morel Elates come in 3 ways as well. :biggrin: The Morel 9inch 3 way set with supremo tweeter would be very nice but as you said you do not want to cut holes - fair enough. Morel 6inch 3ways are priced between the Dyna and the Focals.

Ummm not sure who sells Oz Audio in QLD and their website has been difficult lately, perhaps try and contact them to find out. Very loud speakers. Fire an email to sales@egear.com.au or call 03 9357 6557.

Personally I am not a huge fan of Focals but if you have a long audition and like them then go for it - they are your ears.

dangerous_daveo
06-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Are the focals for want of a better word 'harsh'? Maybe compairable to the MBs? As thats why I'm staying away from them this time.

I'll do a bit more looking in to the Morels and the Oz stuff. I think the Morels are sold through a few autobarn stores up here, but they just happen to be the stores I haven't heard good things about.

The other thing that worries me is how are they going to sound in the car, as we all know, that can really change things, especially from a sound board...

ITS ALL TOO HARD!!!

Mr İharisma
06-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Ha yeah but if your going to spend the $$$ you best take the time to do it right. Doesn't really matter about the rep of where you are buying it from - it's just who installs it that makes the difference. :biggrin:

Yeah sound boards are a bit of a worry, we are just lucky in NSW that we have places with sound rooms and a list of choices half a km long with expert knowledge to back it up.

dangerous_daveo
06-11-2008, 11:19 PM
LoL, its prob worth the flight down almost...

Mr İharisma
08-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah your probably right :biggrin:

Ill sure with a bit of effort you will be right to find dealers up there.

dangerous_daveo
08-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Well I've done some looking around a bit more.

OzAudio is a no go, apparently no one can get a hold of the guy who sells the stuff at all. And all the others are about the same in terms of support, ie pretty bloody limited. Really its a bit of a shame. I just like being able to take stuff back to wear I bought it if it breaks and go 'please fix this'. Especially with car audio. Its a lot of money to spend to not have that support.

So back to the task at hand.

So Dyn 342s
Or Focal 165KP3s (I got my model numbers and prices muddled up).
Both close as makes no difference to the same money.
I'm going to durring the week try and pull some more music out, some acoustic stuff have a good listen to it in both cars and Dads home stereo, then go back to the shop and listen with the same stuff I think.

I've pretty much decided to run with the Alpine deck. The shop does all the imprint stuff, and as you can keep that saved and play around with your own settings as well that should keep me occupied. I think its worth spending the money to get the most out of the rest of the gear.

BTW, Mr Charisma (if thats even your real name!!!) what don't you personally like about the Focals?

Mr İharisma
09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Yes that is my real name lol.

I do not really dis-like focal, they are very good. You will just get a much better lower mid bass response, better xover and a much better sounding tweeter with the Dyn. But as I have said, have a listen and you may like the Focals. That's the great thing about having choice :biggrin:

glidn
11-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Had you thought about looking at Hybrid Audio Legatia L641 or L631.

They get some seriously good ratings and there cheaper than the Dyn's and if not mistaken the Focal's too.

And The owner Scott Buwalda is a pretty good guy they have there own forum dedicated to the Hybrid Audio speakers and will help you if you have cross over issues and what not. The only catch with these speakers are that they dont have cross-overs at all.

dangerous_daveo
12-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, done.

Dyns, and deck, with the blue tooth (which funnily enough the deck installed with bt is cheaper than the genuine vw kit...) So I'll claim that bit back on tax!

Called the shop up today said I wanted another listen. They went and got an IDQ10 and hooked it up so I could hear it all together. I think I'll be fairly happy with it :) Spending a little on sound deadening too.

Ekking lot of money though... So much for getting a bike...

dangerous_daveo
21-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Well just picked it up today. And oh my goodness. I think I'll just stay in the car for the next week :)

Mr İharisma
21-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Glad to here your happy with it dude. At the end of the day they are your ears! Sounds like it could be a sweet set up though!!

glidn
22-11-2008, 07:26 AM
so you ended up going for the Dyn's ?
Also do you have a Version 2 IDQ or version 3?

good to hear. can you post some pics of the install?

dangerous_daveo
22-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Yeah went with the Dyns for a few reasons. Mostly I feel the sound will be nicer for longer periods in the car. Like the Focals had the good impact, but after a 2 hour drive, I dare say Id be well over impact. And I just couldn't find any of the other brands mentioned, other than at a few dodgy shops. I really don't like supporting businesses that don't support the industry if that makes sense.

I must admit I compleately forgot to get the pics off the shop. I'll prob grab them on monday. But it looks factory basically. Really happy with the install again.

Only one glitch with the bluetooth. I've got an N95, and it couldn't find the address book. Seems the trick is you send all your contacts to the HU as business cards via the BT. Works a treat now!

Now time to rediscover all my music again! :D

VW Central
28-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah went with the Dyns for a few reasons. Mostly I feel the sound will be nicer for longer periods in the car. Like the Focals had the good impact, but after a 2 hour drive, I dare say Id be well over impact. And I just couldn't find any of the other brands mentioned, other than at a few dodgy shops. I really don't like supporting businesses that don't support the industry if that makes sense.

I must admit I compleately forgot to get the pics off the shop. I'll prob grab them on monday. But it looks factory basically. Really happy with the install again.

Only one glitch with the bluetooth. I've got an N95, and it couldn't find the address book. Seems the trick is you send all your contacts to the HU as business cards via the BT. Works a treat now!

Now time to rediscover all my music again! :D

Sorry to be digging up an old thread. But I am going to be upgrading the Audio in my car and I too am tossing up between the DynAudio 342's and the Focal 165VR3's.

I am getting the Focal Solution 25A1 installed this week with full dynamats on all doors. I just wanted to research the speakers more. I will be wanting to do front and back. Did you only do the fronts?

How are you like the DynAudio's after using them for months? What amp are you running them off?

I will be using the RNS510 head unit. I hope this doesn't cause a bottleneck in my setup.

Interested to hearing back from you.

Cheers,

Dean

vincent
28-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi how much is this going to cost (and from whom ?) thanks