PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary 12V outlets

Macca
16-10-2006, 02:16 PM
I have a Jetta TDI DSG going really well (just over 2000k).

The 12V outlet in the boot and the centre console seemed to be a great idea - for a car fridge, charging the phone etc.

BUT they only work with the key in and turned on, in my car!

I checked the manual and it explains they are on all the time and be careful not to drain the battery.
I checked with the dealer and they said they are only on with the key due to ADRs - I don't beleive them.
I checked the fuses - they don't match the manual but none are blown.

Do the outlets work for in your cars?

I don't see a lot of merit in having these outlets unless they are on all the time or at least give you the option.

Any feedback would be great

cheers Macca

SOHC
16-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi Macca I thought they all only works when you turn the key on? perhaps doesn't want you to drain your battery... but must be ways to work that out.

Cheers
Carlson

gtimk5
16-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Hi Macca, just saw your query so I checked my GTI and I have power constantly on mine with the key out and all. Good luck with your dealer mate!

jets
18-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Must be a Jetta thing, my Golf tdi has power in plug all the time--I use it all the time for my fridge but make sure I turn it off when parked in garage.
I also use the fridge in my T4 & Toyota Forerunner plugged into the cig. lighter which turns off with the key which is a pain.
I am considering installing an additional plug in the T4 with heavier wire that would be live while camping.

TDI DSG
22-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi Macca

I have a 2007 spec golf and it does not have power at the outlets unless the key is on - maybe it is something new on the 07 models as others here have commented that their golf has power all the time - are these earlier models ? My manual clearly states that there is not power at these outlets unless the ignition is on.

gtimk5
22-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Mine is a 2006 model :)

Macca
22-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

Before I ordered the Jetta I had a demo overnight and tried my car fridge. It worked fine with the key out.

Now they tell me it was an 05 Jetta which had a different spec. Mine was built May/06. Why do they change this stuff - it seems every year? The ADR stuff was just a quick answer to put me off - I checked and there is no requirement for my car to have the cigarette lighter off with the key.

The books given to me with the car definitely say the outlets work all the time so I will keep on with this as it is pretty useless for the fridge as it is.

The other thing is the fuses don't match the manual - but that is a translation thing ??????????

Gee I love the car but why do they do this stuff with something which should be quite perifieral :???:

cheers Macca

jets
22-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Mine is also a 2006 model.

brackie
23-10-2006, 05:25 AM
It's a long shot but perhaps the outlets can be altered through the software. It would be worth having a chat to the srevice manager at your stealership ;)