PDA

View Full Version : What kind of pricing did people pay?

woofy
28-10-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm in Melb, and apart from one dealer in the far North, there is a brand newy just near work in Richmond, and a bogan one out at Fern tree gully with some Holden used car sales guys looking after that one.

I dropped into the almost finished Richmond one and was impressed with the two guys there, one is the owner of the whole shebang including Audi next door and the other is new to the business and is the Skoda dedicated guy. They seem to want to bend over backwards to get Skoda out there. Seeing as resale values in Oz are pretty much non-existant yet, (only a few demos around) and they are working long term, I would expect quite a few $1000 off a new price. In fact discountnewcarsales can knock $2300 off instantly...so what kind of pricing did people pay?

Also the new Octavia is coming here early next year, with the updated RS coming in Dec 09/early 2010.....I would wait for it, but its really only the audio update etc I would want anyway. DSG in the petrol RS is coming early next year as well, but they are expecting a wait due to worldwide demand. These considerations should factor into the the price being fairly flexible as well, they will be selling "runout" Octavias until the end of the year, and runout RS's until the end of next year.

mrgolf
28-10-2008, 09:35 PM
mine was a touch less than list otr with roof...

gregozedobe
28-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I got a couple of grand off RRP, but they weren't very keen to discount when I was buying. I think Skoda hasn't given their dealers quite as much margin as on the VW range.

But at the moment all car salespeople would be pretty hungry for sales and there is a lot of Skoda stock sitting around looking for buyers, so see what they will offer (sometimes if you indicate that you are willing to travel away from home and get prices from dealers further away your local dealer will sharpen their pencils a bit more).

What model/body/options are you interested in ? The CR TDI vRS has just come out in Oz.

woofy
28-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Looking for a blue petrol RS sedan with tint and sunroof so what you said seems about right. They have quite a few of those in stock so should be easy. GPS is another story but don't want that.

mrx
29-10-2008, 08:59 AM
As a cash buyer just over $3k off RRP without even trying, with the trade-in they gave us a bit above the top end of the redbook trade-in price too. This was in April, so they might be struggling a bit more now. :wink:

woofy
29-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah they keep trying to value our car we will be selling, but have two friends wanting it......they seem pretty desperate at the one I went to...the other one, none of them. If they go lower I might changeover early.

mrgolf
29-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Advice: Things are very tough in the car industry atm. My immaculate MkV GTI 07 3dr still hasnt sold off the lot 3 months later. At the end of the month is when they will deal. They have to meet budget...

VW Convert
29-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah they keep trying to value our car we will be selling, but have two friends wanting it......they seem pretty desperate at the one I went to...the other one, none of them. If they go lower I might changeover early.

I'm kind of thinking now is a good time to buy especially if no trade in involved. I'm watching the increase in costs on machinery and parts my company imports and they are skyrocketing due to the exchange rate and we have no choice but to increase prices. I am also getting notifications of price increases from local suppliers....eg. tyre suppliers prices increasing 12% next week with the likliehood of further increases in New Year unless $A appreciates significantly.

All indications are that the $A is going to stay at low levels so it is inevitable that prices will rise.

Crunch them now while they are both desperate and have stock that would have been brought in at a higher exchange rate.

My 2c

Cheers

George

brad
03-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Elegance 1.8T sedan = $30450 drive away.
They threw in F&R floor mats & the underbonnet insulator. Also a free carwash every month (useless - leaves marks on the paint).
I wish I would have got mudflaps as well but got them on eBay for AUD47.
Window tint was $264 from a guy I've been using for years.

They also gave me $11750 trade-in on a 1998 Mk3.5 Cabrio that I bought 2 years earlier for $14,250 (maybe less but memory fading). Anywhere else had offered me <$8000. The Cabrio is still sitting on the lot with an asking price of $15k & it needs a few thousand $ spent on it (engine mounts, front struts, roof mechanism, minor electrical stuff, timing belt, etc)

At the time they also quoted me $38120 driveaway for a Race Blue vRS sedan but that would have stretched the finances too much.

RaceBlueRS
04-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Friendly neighbourhood Datsun, Mitsubishi, Skoda dealer in Sydney - Race Blue Wagon, Satelite Navigation, Sun roof, Front and rear sensors, 160Gb Ipod in lieu of CD changer, Bi sexual headlamps $41,600.00 drive away. No trade in.

We have a 96 Saab V6 160,000 km they were going to give us $2,500 for but we declined.

My car was ordered by someone else and a deposit left. He then disappeared off the face of the earth.

gregozedobe
04-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Bi sexual headlamps

I think you will find your headlights are Xenon (HID) on low beam only, and are actually halogen on high beam. Certainly mine are (one of the few disappointments on my otherwise quite wonderful Octy).

But a good deal for you neverthless

woofy
11-11-2008, 09:28 AM
They are offering a reasonable deal driveaway, but when it started to involve doing a trade in, on a v low kms and hard to find car, they have offered 3k less than the lowest tradein price on redbook so not impressed. You expect to get reamed a bit, but the difference between what they offered and what I know they go for is 6k.

It was all ok until the head person stepped in, and offered a fairly insulting deal, so have been quite turned off at the moment.

gregozedobe
11-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Sell privately or go elsewhere.

They are probably trying to cover themselves in case they can't sell your car. I think there is currently a glut of new and used cars at the moment.

If they are so far below what your existing car easily SELLS for (as opposed to the price people are asking for them ), then sell privately and keep the $$$$ yourself.

woofy
11-11-2008, 11:22 AM
My preference has always been to sell it when I get a buyer and then go deal with Skoda, they were so gung ho on getting it as a tradein, that it has peeved me, that they wasted my time before doing their homework. They are desperate but the answer should be yes or no...and I'm fine with waiting a few months. The weird thing is that they don't have any used cars, as they are still just starting out, and keep telling me they need used ones for some reason.....so much so that tehy are buying them in from elsewhere....I don't really understand it, but they are also desperately after tradeins...

gregozedobe
11-11-2008, 10:01 PM
In this situation you should always follow the golden rule: "Look after No 1".

They might say they are desparate for trade-ins, but they obviously aren't that keen on your car.

There are so many new Skodas around at Skoda dealers I'm sure you'll be able to find several to choose from when you've sold your current car (unless you want an unusual colour/options combination). Even if the dealer hasn't got it in stock they can get them from other dealers pretty quickly.

mrx
12-11-2008, 09:41 AM
With our trade in they also came up with a ridiculous figure. We simply told them we weren't interested at that price, they'd have to do a lot better. Told them we didn't really need the car - it was just a luxury, and that this was the supposed, "budget", brand so we weren't paying as much for an Octavia RS as we did for our Golf GTI. Sure enough, the next day they came up with some BS excuse and magically had another $3000 to offer us?! It ended up going from the bottom end of the Redbook tradein price to $500 above the top end.

Even after that, they never once looked at the car until we actually changed over vehicles - they just took our word for it's condition, mileage etc., so they obviously still thought they'd be making enough out of it not to bother.

woofy
12-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Well ended up with 1k over redbooks highest figure and some goodies to boot so the deal will be done on sat. Hard work on both sides!

mrx
12-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Well ended up with 1k over redbooks highest figure and some goodies to boot so the deal will be done on sat. Hard work on both sides!

Good to hear! You've just gotta play the game.

Pullstarter
13-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Advice: Things are very tough in the car industry atm. My immaculate MkV GTI 07 3dr still hasnt sold off the lot 3 months later. At the end of the month is when they will deal. They have to meet budget...

Is your old car the metallic grey 3dr with leather at Lennocks? If so, it's still there, was drooling over it yesterday :biggrin: Seriously want to buy it but have to wait another 12 months before upgrading :(

mrgolf
18-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Yeah, thats mine. I love that car. Although, at the price they want for it, you would be better off looking at the Skoda. For more idea of how they would compare, go to this thread.
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=23041

Pullstarter
18-11-2008, 09:53 PM
As snobby as this sounds I really have to have the VW badge :biggrin: They do want a fair whack for your old car and they haven't budged an inch on it either.

mrgolf
19-11-2008, 11:15 AM
As I said in the thread, driving the GTI is about driving the icon. It feels special. The Skoda does not so much. The badge says it all. Great car.

gregozedobe
19-11-2008, 01:36 PM
As I said in the thread, driving the GTI is about driving the icon. It feels special. The Skoda does not so much.

I did a fair bit of test driving in a GTI and an Octy vRS before I chose the vRS. While the two cars are almost identical mechanically, the difference in driving is quite noticeable. IMHO the engineers have gone for a more overtly "sporty" setup in the GTI, and a more "relaxed" setup in the octy.

It is in details like the induction and exhaust note (more pronounced in the GTI), sharper throttle response in the GTI, quicker steering response and MUCH firmer ride in the GTI. I used the very rough southern section of the Sutton road near Queanbeyan to compare ride comfort - the vRS was much more to my taste on this cr@p bit of pockmarked tar, but the GTI was more fun on smooth sweepers.

The end result for me was that the GTI felt like it was almost always egging me on to drive a bit faster, whereas the vRS was more laid back and saying "fast, medium or slow - whatever you like I can deliver", and was distinctly more relaxing when just cruising around.

The end result is two cars that feel quite different, even though they are similar mechanically and have almost identical outright performance.

It is good to have a choice. And while the vRS was distinctly better to drive by MY criteria, each person has their own criteria that they use to judge cars, so each will prefer different vehicles.

mrgolf
19-11-2008, 02:43 PM
For mine, the GTI is where it is at. Composure on the GTI is what I like. However, I reckon very little seperates them. As I mentioned, I reckon the RS is better balanced. If the spring rates and dampers were identical, I reckon the RS would be a better steer in spite of its extra weight. However, curiously, I reckon the GTI would still be the nicer car to drive. Its the badge.

From what I know of you, the Octy being more relaxed would be better for you... ;) (heh heh) I'm still happy to trade some comfort for some drivability.