PDA

View Full Version : Intro

wolfsburg
04-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi,
I am the proud owner of a 1977 Mk1 Golf and have been for about a year now. Actually I think it may have been owned by a member of the boards?

It is good to see an Australian forum for Golf's. I am also surprised how many members are from Tassie, do you guys get together at all?

Cheers.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2005/08/Golf3-1.jpg

imported_brackie
05-08-2005, 07:29 AM
She's lovely (naughty GTI badge, though!). We've been trying to organise a get together but even though Tassie's a small place, it hasn't happened yet. Maybe in the summer. Our farm has a tourist cottage that would be a possible venue.

GoLfMan
05-08-2005, 07:46 AM
welcome mate... nice ride!!! :)

evorobin
05-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Sweeeeetttt. Nice 3 door you got there mate 8)

el_foolio
05-08-2005, 09:07 AM
firstly mate, nice ride!!! shes purdy. secondly, where in hobart are you, because ive never seen your car about?? yeah, we are planning a meet, theres two options i guess. a good long drive up to brackies place, where we can stay (i think?) and then a good drive back. or the other idea is a bit of a 'club' day up at baskerville, where we could have a bbq, check out each others cars, and do a few laps. im fine with either, i spose it evens out, becase the petrol to brackies would be a bit :P and i think its like $80 to use baskerville? i dunno, im sure its not $80 too brackies, but you get my drift. well thats about the jist of it.

Golfwise
05-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Welcome to the site!
Its good to see another Tassie member.
and yes thats one of my old cars.
Luckily it survived all these years but I guess thats because it was owned by the proverbial "lil ol lady".and rescued by me from a lowlife who had siezed the motor.
A RUN OUT TO A CLUB DAY SHORTLY IS ON THE CARDS.Maybe next Sunday!

wolfsburg
05-08-2005, 09:43 AM
I thought it may have been your old car Golfwise from reading the boards, we spoke on the phone? I sorted the wiper out thanks. We need to catch up and sort steering wheel.

I still get excited every time I drive this car, and park it with a smile.

Yeah Brackie this is how I got the car off of a young bloke, badge and all. I have not started to personalise her yet.

I live in Electrona el_foolio, this car is my daily driver. I work in Hobart....a day at Baskerville would be great, get some pics of cars together and teach a newcomer more about Golf's.

I heard something about the rear inner wheel lift :D

Golfwise
05-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Old "Orange"has already posted 69 second lap times at Baskerville and thats without decent brakes.It has nice Koni /Nuespeed equip .

wolfsburg
05-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Nice time, Well this car is faster than my old NA 944 Porsche. Well at least to 110KMh cannot go speeding now.

The current 40 series tyres do make for a rather rigid ride on top of the stiff suspension.

Yeah I was enquiring with Andrew on brake upgrade, maybe mk2+ discs?

I am not sure as I don't really know the best and most affordable upgrade.

gotrice
05-08-2005, 12:19 PM
If you want brakes then go for the GTI MK2 disks and rotors. They bolt straight up and are cheap.

el_foolio
05-08-2005, 12:41 PM
baskerville run next sunday eh?? well that sucks, as my car cant make the trip, for many reasons :( someone wanna give me a ride :P hehe

TassieGTi
05-08-2005, 12:47 PM
YEAH...Club Day at Baskerville next Sunday! Hoping to have Silver car up and running for a few laps! :)

el_foolio
05-08-2005, 12:54 PM
DOH! i want my car to be running :(

wolfsburg
05-08-2005, 01:06 PM
500 car club have the 7th down as Baskerville on their site run by HSCC. Is this the same as mentioned?

VanKronenburg
06-08-2005, 08:32 AM
If you want brakes then go for the GTI MK2 disks and rotors. They bolt straight up and are cheap. Brian from GTI imports can sort you out.

Are you talking the 256mm brakes? They aren't a direct swap (this is common misinformation!!). You need a setup from the following cars for it to be a direct swap:

audi 80 quatro (83-85)
audi 90 5 cylinder (85-87)
audi caupe 5 cylinder (85-88)

double check the bolt hole spacings (10mm holes spaced at 76mm not 12mm spaced at 96mm).

You are best to install a proper 22mm master cylinder and servo at the same time.

The braking with this setup is good, but I prefer a 280mm upgrade with rear disc brakes which is still cheap if using VW parts.

TassieGTi
06-08-2005, 08:44 AM
500 car club have the 7th down as Baskerville on their site run by HSCC. Is this the same as mentioned?

That is correct! We are lucky! There is one out at Baskerville tomorrow and again next Sunday (Mini Car Club). Provided you have a basic CAMS license, $85 gets you a great days entertainment! Morning qualifying followed by 4 lap sprints with 3 other cars of similar lap times! :)

el_foolio
06-08-2005, 09:57 AM
sounds like a good day

Golfwise
07-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Gotrice.
Mk2 discs and rotors eh!
I know where to put the discs but what do I do with the rotors,where do they bolt on.
Don't give advice if its not correct someone might believe you.

Golf Loon
08-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Yeah wise words GolfWise.

Mk1 GTI or early Audi 80 are better than stock Mk1s and will bolt straight on. You need Mk2 hubs and carriers for Mk2 brakes.

What car do you have gotrice?