PDA

View Full Version : Now this is wierd!!! Any ideas?

Golfer
12-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey Guys,

A very strange technical enquiry i'm bringing before the commitee -

My GL's rear driver's side electric window has decided that it will not wind up or down all the way at a time. Instead it will move in steps, only about 4 inches at a time, and then stops, and i have to release the button and press it again to get it to move another 4 inches!!! It really is bizarre.

I thought i'd ask everybody, as from what i've seen on here, a lot of the problems with any one golf are contiguous with the majority of golfs and their problems. Any ideas guys i would be MOST appreciative, as it is really annoying when you go to auto wind up the windows when you lock the car and have to turn the key 10 times :)

Cheers!
John

syncro
12-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Try lubricating the channels.

Valver.
12-10-2006, 10:35 AM
The motor is f-cked: that is exactly how it starts in a Mk3. New ones are $1200 from VW, but there are plenty available 2nd hand for under a 1/4 of that price :)

Very common problem.

SOHC
12-10-2006, 02:29 PM
thats weird... motor cost 1200?? ... OMG, i got that problem before it couldn't move anymore, it was a regulator problem for me... but Valver should be right I guess. or even Syncro

Valver.
12-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Both my Mk3s had the problem - one of them 3 times :o Apparently Mk4s are just as bad :(

gtimk5
12-10-2006, 06:28 PM
I haven't had to replace any VW window motors yet. The wifes mk3 has a dodgy rear window, for the last 2 years and that is a switch problem.
I have only ever had to replace the mechanisms on mk3s and 4s.
There is an aftermarket place in Melbourne who do motors though, a lot cheaper than that genuine price. Can't remember their name at the moment :? Anyone??

syncro
12-10-2006, 08:25 PM
I had the same problem on my Audi A3T. Sprayed some lubricant on the window channels and it never failed again. Try that first.

Golf Loon
12-10-2006, 09:53 PM
They do all break on the Mk3s and I have changed heaps of em. Easier to do the whole mechanism than just the motor.

I wouldn`t pay more than a couple of hundred bucks for one. Beware of cheap chinese copies, as the cables are too short and so they dont last long.

Golfer
12-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys. Next time i've got a few minutes i'll open up the door and check out what's going on. It will probably be a good idea to replace it b4 it stops working, as i had a regulator pulley break in my xr8, and it dropped the window down on the spot, pretty much rendering my alarm useless :) That cost me a fortune to fix, so i don't like the idea of replacing a motor on a vw!!!

gtimk5
02-11-2006, 07:37 AM
New motors for the windows are now $440 from VW, retail..... :)