PDA

View Full Version : Movin to Adelaide!

V666
18-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Hey guys
Im going to be moving to Adelaide at the beginning of November cant wait to get away from the UK!!!

Im after a mk3 golf Gti 8v or 16v, to replace the one I had to sell here in the UK, but cant seem to see one anywhere for sale. Do have different models out there, or am I looking in the wrong places.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

jayjay
18-10-2008, 12:23 AM
you're going to be a broken dublover...

only vr6s in 5drs came here. or 3dr mk3 cl 1.8s.. no 2.0 8v, no 2.0 16v. no gti even!

on a less grim note, welcome to the forums though. :)

evorobin
18-10-2008, 12:31 AM
We never got mk1 GTI's, the 5dr mk2's had a weird lazy 8v pussy engine, The mk3 was 5 dr VR6 only, MK4 was 5dr GTI until the 3dr R32 hit to break the drought....then **** got normal holler :biggrin:

Welcome to the forum we got some really great roads. Don't speed around the cbd you'll get screwed until you figure the camera cars btw.

V666
18-10-2008, 12:39 AM
Oh great!!! Vr6 conversion it is! I take it G60's are out of the question too?! I almost imported my Golf over, to late now already sold it.

Mischa
18-10-2008, 12:52 AM
we got 1.8CL in 3 and 5 door, 2.0GL in 5 door and vr6 in 5door as far as mk3's go. we also got 8v digi mk2 gti's. welcome to the forum and congrats on the move

V666
18-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks the forum seems v friendly much better than club gti back in the uk!!! Are the 8v digis hard to come by? I see you have an S2 is it a coupe?

Mischa
18-10-2008, 01:05 AM
Thanks the forum seems v friendly much better than club gti back in the uk!!! Are the 8v digis hard to come by? I see you have an S2 is it a coupe?

any mk2 is fairly rare here, especially in good condition but its not impossible to find. if you have patience one will turn up. digi's are the best for a vr6 conversion ;)

and yep i've got one of less than 20 S2's in aus :) its an ABY coupe and im rather chuffed with it hehe.

V666
18-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Had an S2 here in the UK it was the estate version really miss it any about you know of?

Mischa
18-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Had an S2 here in the UK it was the estate version really miss it any about you know of?

well there were only 25 S2's sold in aus between 1992 and 1996, and some have crashed and some have been exported, but all the ones sold were coupes like mine. however theres at least 1 RS2 kicking around plus i'm sure there'd be some secret ones locked up in garages lol. unfortunately theres almost no chance of buying an S2 here no matter how much you're willing to pay. should bring an RS2 with you when you come :D

OEM G60
18-10-2008, 05:29 AM
Welcome mate, there are a few of us on here that have moved over from the UK, me included !!
Have you been to Australia before ?

Matt

Soundofav6
18-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Welcome to the forum mate ! Hope you find a replacement too soon.

Did your previous car have 666 on the grille, burgundy in colour ?? I may have seen it somewhere before.

h100vw
18-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Welcome to the forum. You have already had the low down on GTIs but you can also get Audi A3s and S3s. There are a lot more around now than when I bought mine 2 years back.

You would probably go interstate but that's no big deal. I flew to Melbourne, the guy picked me up from the airport, I checked out the car and then drove back to Adelaide.

www.carsales.com.au or tradingpost

Look us up when you get here. Which burb are you moving to?

Gavin, another pommie

jayjay
18-10-2008, 02:39 PM
soo many pommies!! :o

fyi, the first 16v we got here also, came in the mk5... how depressing. they're kicking around though from the great work of Seat and a couple of other importers.

phaeton
18-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Welcome to VWwA :D

V666
18-10-2008, 07:48 PM
haven't found which suburb yet im moving in with friends down in Aldinga first, recommend any good areas or areas to avoid?!!
No I just had german plates no nothing fancy I was going for the OEM+ look it was dropped on FK konigsports, and was waiting for the 001's to come back from powder coating. God I miss it already!!!

evorobin
18-10-2008, 08:07 PM
I'll give you the strong tip about Australia, distance means nothing. Your friends down south are quite far from the CBD but they have the longest reverse expressway on the planet (to city am back pm) so it's cool.

I live North about 5km out of the CBD but I like being close. Poms are sold on the deep south and there is a big community whereas my ozzy wifes parents are poms and always lived in the inner north which coming from the country in south England I like.

Hated being in the sticks as a kid and Adelaide offers nice housing close to the city imo :)

V666
18-10-2008, 08:16 PM
That seems to be the best bit advice anyones passed on yet!! Im just glad there is a dubbing community out there and just need to find a ride!

Lorenz
18-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Welcome to the forum mate and soon to be welcoming you to Australia and and Adelaide :D
Im another pommie living in Adelaide so you wont be alone! There does seem to be quite a large pommie community in Adelaide as Robin said, its great.

I live up in the Adelaide hills which are really really nice. Quiet, best roads for driving, nice people and best of all only 15 mins from the city centre (theres a motor way connecting the city to hills pretty much!).

Sure you will find something nice when you come over, theres some VRs kicking around here and there, but more interstate really.

Jarred
18-10-2008, 08:19 PM
That seems to be the best bit advice anyones passed on yet!! Im just glad there is a dubbing community out there and just need to find a ride!

Dubbin scene is way smaller than anything in europe or the UK.

We have alot of muscle car meets (aussie/US muscle with big engines and big burnouts etc) but there is plenty of variety of car stuff over here.

Best of luck with the moove.

Lorenz
18-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Dubbin scene is way smaller than anything in europe or the UK.

We have alot of muscle car meets (aussie/US muscle with big engines and big burnouts etc) but there is plenty of variety of car stuff over here.

Best of luck with the moove.

Cant forget the Jap scene, its fairly big here aswell, more so than the UK and Europe. Only good thing about that it is it helps the nice dubs stand out more and they dont become something you see everyday on the road!