PDA

View Full Version : Golf MK2 Diesel

nick1234
07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey people,

Over the past five months I tried to find a way to bring my VW MK2 Diesel (photo) into Australia. Unfortunately, uncertain and very high import in addition to quarantine charges (of at least AU$1500 in addition to 1000pounds for the shipping) have made this move practically impossible. Over the above, the car would have needed to be converted and reconverted when going back to Europe after two/ three years or so.

Hence, I had no other choice but to give this great car away, which was difficult for me since I’ve owed it for over six years now (my family bought it in 1987). This vehicle has been incredibly reliable and robust. With the odometer at 190.000kms up to this point I only had to undertake minor repairs such as changing tires, brakes and the exhaust once. Priced at DM 22.000 (about Au $19.000 today) in 1987, this vehicle has definitely been the cheapest to drive and really has been worth every penny. It is also a great long distance car (I drove it several times the 950kms from Germany to London in one day) over the past three years without ever having experienced a breakdown. It certainly is not the fastest, and really not the car you pick up girls with, but it is indeed the most economical car one can own and I enjoyed every minute I drove it.

Finally, I wish to pose a question in regards to a good and fair place where I could maybe purchase a good car around Sydney – I will live in North Ryde - (for under $5.000). I guess that what interests me is a place that might consider re-buying the car from me when I leave or so (in case that I cannot stay longer). Does anyone know what I have to watch out for when it comes to buying a used car in NSW – i.e. condition, insurance and the road worthy certificate etc.? What sort of insurances are popular and inexpensive for 24-year-old drivers? I would even consider buying a VW again … if not too pricy.

Anyway, thanx everyone for your previous comments on this website to my shipping query – they were most helpful – although I wish I’d have better news; I really appreciate that!! I hope that this report was not too long to read.

Regards,

- Nick R.

brackie
08-10-2006, 06:00 AM
A shame you have to leave the Mk2. It would have been a good car to have in Oz in terms of fuel economy.

There are quite a few options open to you. If you want a VW diesel in your price range then there are still a few good Mk1s around, and even a few Passats. Forget about Mk2s as there were no official imports and there are very few Mk3s. There are a few Mks4s but out of your price range. You might get lucky and find a good Peugeot 405 or 306 diesel.

Petrol engined cars are a dime a dozen. Golf Loon is a good guy to talk to regarding availability in Sydney, and we have other people with VW workshops (Steve Muller, Bug_Racer etc) who may be able to find something for you.

Good luck and keep in touch.