PDA

View Full Version : Gday

fleaboy
09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Gday,

Just new to the forum but have been poking around a bit and having a look. Unfortunatly i dont have a VW at present, but its a real option for my next car. Been looking at a few golfs online etc. trying to work out whats best for me :duh: but have not worked it out yet. Was thinking mk3 golfs, then mk4 golfs, or maybe even a passat... yes im confused. Im looking for a bit more go than my present car/bomb (holden gemini, rwd fun yet lacks power) my first thoughts were mk3 2l or the mk4 1.8l is there much difference in power?
No doubt il be asking more question about what to buy...

Anyway, hi to you all etc.

Have a good one

Dave.

mk3pete
09-10-2008, 09:01 PM
may i reccomend a vr6 very fun to drive lots of grunt reasonable on fuel welcome to the forum by the way

dubbed
09-10-2008, 09:28 PM
G'day mate, welcome to the forums.

It really depends on your budget, what you plan on doing to your VW, your mechanical ability and what you're really after. I.e. looks, power, economy, features/luxuries, handling etc.

You could choose anything from a MKI/II GTI, MKIII VR6, MKIV GTI 1.8 turbo, MKIV R32 (3.2 V6 AWD), MKIV Bora V5/V6 AWD aka 4Motion, MKV GTI/R32. But it really depends on your budget and what type of car you prefer.

fleaboy
10-10-2008, 08:02 AM
At present budget is around the 14k mark, there goes the R32s :frown: im after something with a bit of go and that has good handling characteristics. luxuries etc doesnt really bother me, considering my current car has none, so any car will be an improvement :biggrin:

dubbed
10-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Well I may be biassed but I'd suggest looking at MKIV Golf GTIs (latest year and lowest kms that you can find) as they have all the mod cons, look beautiful, there are an abundance of parts available, have plenty of safety features, they look great, they can handle well with the right mods, they're very spritely with a little bit of coin thrown at them, and did I mention they look dead sexy?

Boras are also another great value option, we just don't have the factory turbo option :( But you can find full leather, heated seats, sunroof, and a plethora of other fancy options.

A VR6 would be cool but they are getting on in age. So unless you're very mechanically minded or don't mind spending a lot on maintenance I would probably steer clear. Although they are a fantastic vehicle.

KI11Z
10-10-2008, 12:06 PM
welcome, and VR6 ftw! :evil:

RhysQ
10-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Welcome aboard mate!

depending on your age and license type, i reckon you should be jumping into a Golf MK4 GTI (if you can have a turbo car) or the Golf MK3 VR6.

with that budget you can get the car and do a bit of work to it.

Cheers,
Rhys

fleaboy
11-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the welcomes.

Been looking on carpoint/sales etc it would appear for a decent mk4 gti id need to keep saving a few more grand. So vr6 might be the go. What is the handling like on those little wepons? pretty vague question i know :duh: