PDA

View Full Version : MKIV Manual Transmission Fluid

dubbed
09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Hey chaps,

I've tried searching Google, these forums and Vortex but I still can't fine a definite answer to this: what Redline fluid do I need for my MKIV GTI manual transmission? I've seen MTL, MT90, lightweight, shockproof etc but I don't know what to choose/look for specifically. Will I need MORE than two litres to fill the gearbox?

I am also considering Royal Purple fluid - has anyone used it? If so what specs should I look for?

I am hanging out to change the fluid and get back my slick gear changes!

Thank you :drinkbeer:

Bug_racer
09-10-2008, 12:20 PM
depends on how the box feels .

I use mt90 on most applications and heavy duty shockproof for those that crunch gears .

You'll need around 2.5l

dubbed
09-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for your help mate! It crunches rarely when engaging reverse. I will opt for the MT90.

Much appreciated. Cheers Bug racer :)

skylineiz
10-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Royal purple make quality fuels just make sure you match the thickness of your oil. Reverse crunch could be a sign of synco wear. But your spot on by doing a gearbox oil change first.

aprr32
15-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Syncro on reverse, I think only T3 syncro's had that.

sierra055
16-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Definitely MT90
no syncro on reverse, it's a straight cut gear.

dubbed
20-02-2009, 10:33 AM
I still haven't gotten around to doing this :(

gavs
23-02-2009, 03:17 PM
I still haven't gotten around to doing this

Ha ha dubbed, you sound like me putting my new springs in!!:drinkbeer::drinkbeer:

hienous
23-04-2009, 12:35 AM
at risk of sounding noob, if gear changes feel fine is there a need to change mtf at all? even after xxx kms and xxx years?

dubbed
23-04-2009, 04:33 PM
at risk of sounding noob, if gear changes feel fine is there a need to change mtf at all? even after xxx kms and xxx years?

Gearbox oil should be treated as a normal service item, albeit at longer intervals. I'd probably suggest every two years or every 50,000kms.

Jmac
23-04-2009, 08:48 PM
IMO MTL. MT90 is a bit thicker but very good at the same time, both have great frictional properties. Older or higher K boxes love Mt90.
Jmac

geoff_gti
23-04-2009, 11:37 PM
IMO MTL. MT90 is a bit thicker but very good at the same time, both have great frictional properties. Older or higher K boxes love Mt90.
Jmac

Thanks for the tip Jmac :biggrin:

TougeMk4
31-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Can anyone point me to the right Gearbox oil to use in my 02J box with a freshly installed WaveTrac LSD..The instruction manual for the lsd says not to use the following:

When using Wavetrac

use Factory spec oils for your car
use factory HIGH compatible performance oils if u wish to upgrade the oil

do NOT use gear oils with Friction modifiers or limited slip additives
do NOT use Shockproof or similar gear oils designed to reduce Friction

So what is the best oil that meets all factory specs that will be safe to use with my LSD.. the guys who rebuilt the gearbox recommended Penrite Transaxle 75 Gear and Trans oil Semi-synthetic SAE 75W-90 as they said it has the same additives as the Penrite Manual Gear oil 70 i think he said.

Im not sure what to use now because i wanna use the oil the gearbox place recommends in case for some reason the transmission fluid destroys the diff and at least then they transmission place will be at fault? but at the same time im reading conflicting answers on the net about what to use.. mind you there's not much on what oil to use as most people don't have the LSD to work about and just buy shockproof and oils of those sorts.

Can someone please shed some light as to which oil i should be using

Thanks in Advance

Adam

Eddie_T
01-10-2009, 03:10 PM
goes the same with GTI MKV guys???

MT90?

balkanac
05-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Sorry for digging up an old thread, i wanna put redline gearbox oil in my MK4 R32 but im not sure how much oil i need? 2.5L or more?

schoona
05-05-2011, 09:08 PM
I think mine was 3L.
My box felt a hell of a lot better with Redline superlight shockproof than it does with the Motul now. (it actually feels pretty disgraceful atm)