PDA

View Full Version : How much and who?

smithy010
09-10-2008, 07:22 AM
Good morning all,

My car's paintwork is pretty ordinary. I bought it 4 or 5 months ago from a dodgy dealer, and they had buffed/ polished it really badly. Now it has some pretty serious swirl marks, mainly on the front half. Also, the roof has lost its shine. It's black.

I'm no clean freak, and i won't keep my car immacualte, i just would like to rejuvinate the paintwork a bit.

My question is: What sort of cost would be involved for a detailer who knows what they are doing to give it a once over, just to restore it a bit? I'm a bit scared of it, because of clearcoat issues and whatnot. Also i don't have the patience for really careful detailing..

Does anyone have any suggestions of who i could go to. Keep in mind that this is not a show car, and i just want to restore it to prolong the life of the paintwork. I need someone who will not mind working on a piece of ***** (with a bullbar).

I work in artarmon, and live in maroubra. Any suggestion would be excellent.

Mrk_Mickey
09-10-2008, 09:14 AM
I think Dan our resident detailer can help you out, mate. I'd send him a PM (DMS Dan) ask him the best way to go about it and he'll give you some great advice, and he should look after you too :)

DMS_Dan
09-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey Smithy,

What can be done depends on a couple of things. What car are you talking about. You seen to have a couple listed and i doubt your running a bar with your Mk1 lol

The type of car it is shouldnt matter to the detailer. A car is a car if they love their work it wont matter.

Pricing varies wildly across the industry. take nothing on face value.

Ask to see pictures of their previous work and make sure that the pics are taken in the sun or with a macro setting with a camera flash. This will show any holograms.

Ask them what wax they will be using to finish and if it contains fillers. This post http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=16184 will explain the fillers to you and some other things.

Ask as many questions as you can and then look at all the options.Make sure that the detailer is going to check the paint thickness before he/she buffs to ensure that there is enough left, a lot dont bother with this (i know of 5 country wide that do, im not saying that is all its just all i have heard about)

Any more questions ask here or shoot me a PM

smithy010
13-10-2008, 12:31 PM
It's the Peugeot that i'm talking about. I personally reckon it looks pretty slick with the bullbar.
This is the reason why i didn't mention what vehicle it is. (VW forum..)

Thanks very much for your advice.