PDA

View Full Version : paper air filter vs sports/high flow? k&n or uni/finer filter

vinderliker
07-10-2008, 11:30 AM
With the 32/36 holley on the Little Beastie, I have a chrome round air filter housing, holding a paper air filter, which cost me $10 to replace when they are dirty. I have been told by some mechanics and spare parts salespersons that upgrading to a high flow k&n, uni or finer filter is a waste of money as there is no real gain and I can get 9 paper filters for one high flow filter. What do you all think? Is there a performance gain I can get using one of these high flow/sports filters?

balkanac
07-10-2008, 04:28 PM
that is the first thing i do to a car when i buy it. I always replace the paper filter with a K&N and then a CAI down the track.
Im not sure with carburators, but it should still breathe better
My 2c

Transporter
07-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Unifilter flows better and filtrates better than some paper elements. It also improves the fuel economy. K&N in my opinion allows too much dirt to pass inside the engine, so I personally would not use it. I replaced OEM air filter in our 1999 Subaru Forester with UniFilter at 15,000km and fuel economy improved immediately from 11L/100km to 10L/100KM. I also found out that Subaru air filter filtrates down to 25 microns and unifilter to 5 microns. I can see K&N air filter on many engines clean even after 45000km, which tells everything.
But be careful with oiled foam filters to much oil on them could damage some MAF sensors especially the hot wire ones. And also, if you use different air filter than OEM you could harm your engine and possibly void the warranty.

li21
28-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Anyone else have comments on Foam type Unifilters?
Anyone suggest someone I can get a Unifilter for my Jetta TDI?

gldgti
29-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Anyone else have comments on Foam type Unifilters?
Anyone suggest someone I can get a Unifilter for my Jetta TDI?

The stock paper filter on your TDI is by FAR the best filter you'll find for it. Don't waste your money on something dodgey. The OEM filters are cheap, very effective and won't cause you problems like an oiled filter will.

I've used oiled foam filters, sure - on my sidedraft dellorto carbed 1.8L mk1 - there, they can't do any damage that matters!

li21
29-07-2011, 10:31 PM
How much is everyone paying for paper filters? Ive found they are only about $10 less than a K&N fro ebay :(
But I wanna stick to paper now

gldgti
03-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I bought paper filter for service on my octavia the other day for $22. Thats the same filter as yours. From Tooley Imports.

gldgti
03-08-2011, 04:38 PM
With the 32/36 holley on the Little Beastie, I have a chrome round air filter housing, holding a paper air filter, which cost me $10 to replace when they are dirty. I have been told by some mechanics and spare parts salespersons that upgrading to a high flow k&n, uni or finer filter is a waste of money as there is no real gain and I can get 9 paper filters for one high flow filter. What do you all think? Is there a performance gain I can get using one of these high flow/sports filters?

When I had a 32/36 on my mk1, I too used the same paper filter initially. Then I tried a bunch of other filter setups and I couldnt tell any difference. I'm sure the paper one was fine. The biggest problem on the golf was that it was right at the back of the engine bay, but maybe in your car you can duct some colder air to it more easily?