PDA

View Full Version : New To The Polo Dub !!

MR-GTI
04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi all,

Just found this forum and thought I do a quick intro...:)

I have just purchased a VW POLO GTI,and I pick it up 2morrow.
I must say BANG for BUCK they are awsome value.

I got it in the silver with Sunroof and Leather,so I'm pretty happy with that..
They go ok for a little car..I'm no stranger to turbo cars,and Big V8's ,but this is not a toy,just my new work car,which is used soley for business.

I just stepped out of a 2003 Mazda SP20 and I must say that was an awsome car,but I needed something smaller for city travel and parking,and hey why not a little more GET UP & GO !!!.

I'll post some pix 2morrow if I get a chance after I get it.

I do have a question though...I don't really like the rims and would like to get some mags for it.I enquired about the 17's VW has as options and I nearly died !!!! Just over 2.5k without tyres !!! :confused: :? ...

So can someone tell me the PCD for these cars and the Offset??
And if rims off any Audi's or other VW's will fit.

I'm looking at putting on the Audi A8 rims in either 17's or 18's..just like the ones below...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/10/d8_2JPG-1.jpg

Please let us know..

Regs MR-GTI

GoLfMan
04-10-2006, 10:16 PM
welcome mate, i gaurentee mate that you will enjoy the Polo better than the Mazda and there is many mods there to give it even more power ;)
i hope you enjoy it... and those wheels would look sweet on the polo!

brackie
05-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Welcome to our community. You've bought a great car. I haven't driven the GTI but I have tried the TDI and that was pretty quick.
So a search (dark blue bar above) or trawl through the "Wheels and Tyres" forum and you should get a result.

gtimk5
05-10-2006, 06:22 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Its good to have you here. gtigrl also has a silver GTI Polo. The wheels do look naff on them, for sure! I suggest that to find the offset you could check out the spare as at least you do get 5 of the wheels and no spacesaver.5x100 stud pattern and I think they might be 40 ET? They are the same as on the Mk4 Golfs and Boras. I suggest you run higher tyre pressures to what they recommend too.
Hey, good luck today with picking up your new Polo, 1st VW? And once again, welcome. I hope you have happy motoring! Cheers, Andrew:)

MR-GTI
05-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Hey all.Thanks for the warm welcom...

I'm a little excited 2day,as I'm apporx 2hrs away from getting the DUB !!!

As mentioned in my first Post I'll try my best to get some PIX.

Thanks again..

Regs MR-GTI

gtimk5
05-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Thats very exciting news! Good on you. Its the best feeling actually picking a new car/VW! :)

gtigrl
05-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Hello and welcome, snap on the wheels I really don't like them either but as far as the car being fun to drive its about a 9 on my scale of 1 to 10. Even without mods the car is hard to beat in its class.
See you round the forum :) Oh and by the way if you reside in melbourne you should bring it to the DOVW...

BLKMJC
05-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Congrats on the purchase! Their a nice little car :) Chip it and drop it a bit, will look great.

You'll pay around 2k for good quality European 17" wheels.... with the correct offset. But sure you can buy cheap 1.5k wheel and tyre deals too ;)

MR-GTI
05-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks all.

Well I picked it up and I must say I'm impressed!!!
Bang for buck I don't think you can get a car closer to this...
My neighbour has a Lexus IS200 and it has all, if not more features than his car, and did not cost 60k!!!

Just a quick question, when I picked it up they did not say anything about RUNNING IT IN!!!
Do I need to, as per the manual it suggests I must??

It's a little late for that, as the first stretch of road I got it saw the Rev Limiter...

Anyway. I’ll see how it goes
Ohh also I noticed the Factory BOV is Plumbed back into the exhaust??
Has anyone disconnected theirs to get the Fluttering?? Or did you just put a POD Filter on the intake??

I like the flutter, my other car I own loves the Boost and the flutter is awesome!!

The DUB is just a little 2 quiet for my liking!!

Regs MR-GTI

GoLfMan
05-10-2006, 10:29 PM
yeh the engine power is quite reserved but there is heaps you can get out of those engines, start with breathing (decent exhaust and pod etc you know the story...) :)
yeh run it in nicely, not great to thrash the tits off a new engine so follow the manual and you should be sweet.
The BOV is plumbed back into the exhaust and i dont think it can be disconnected due to a sensor of some sort, BLKMJC knows :)
enjoy!!!

brackie
06-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Engine, tyres, suspension, brakes...the lot! Here's my advice (although there are others who wouldn't agree ;)

If you intend to keep the car for a number of years (and really, to be fair to subsequent owners :) ) run it in. Avoid high revs for long periods, warm the engine (oil) on every trip, vary revs, be gentle until the engine is fully warmed up...etc.

It's up to you.

MR-GTI
06-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Thanks all.

I will definately be taking it easy from now on..I was just supprised that they did not tell me that I had to run it in...

Re: power upgrades,I don't really want to touch it other than maybe a Pod filter and some nicer wheels.I want to leave it as standard as possible,as It is a work car,not a weekend Cruzer..

Thanks again.

shaneth
06-10-2006, 04:27 PM
When is the fisrt service on the polo?

Oneofthegreats
06-10-2006, 05:35 PM
G'day & welcome to the forum MR-GTI & congrates on your new purchase.

I know exactly what you mean by the price of genuine VW wheel's. I reckon it's a load of crap the prices VW ask for OEM wheels. BMW rims aren't even that expensive.

Anyway, the problem with the Polo is it's hard to fit bigger(wider) rims under the arches as there isn't much room there to start with especially under the back.
Diameter's not the problem just width & the correct offset. Here's the APR one in Aust. Doesn't look to bad, but I'd hate to think how much the rims are.

Here's a link to the build up.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2539288&page=1

http://xs107.xs.to/xs107/06405/APRPolo.jpg (http://xs.to)

As far as running-in goes, I wouldn't worry about it. The engine,brakes etc. & all the other component's have already been used & tested at the factory & probably thrashed by the person who carried out the PDI. Trust me, it happens!
I'll agree with brackie 100% with before you lean on it, have the oil temp. at operating temp 80 - 90 degree's at least!

As far as mod's, I'd go with just the APR upgrade to start with. Ask gtimk5 & gtigrl about it & I'm sure you will be impressed.

BOV venting into the exhaust???
I'd say it's venting back into the inlet track to the turbo otherwise you have serious problem's.

MR-GTI
06-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey golfworx..

Thanks for the heads up on the rims...

I'll have to do some reaserch..
Reg the BOV..I only had a quick look,but it looks as if the Blump back goes into the Dump Pipe..:? :confused: :???:

I'll try get some Pix 2morrow.

Thanks again.

Regs MR-GTI

brackie
06-10-2006, 07:18 PM
As far as running-in goes, I wouldn't worry about it. The engine,brakes etc. & all the other component's have already been used & tested at the factory & probably thrashed by the person who carried out the PDI. Trust me, it happens!
Just what does happen in the PDI? Who does it? What sort of treatment does the car get? How many km does the PDI cover? (This intrigues me as I can't find it published anywhere.) Do they "bench test" the engines? If so, for how long and under what conditions? What do they do with the engines that don't pass muster? What are the test criteria and how strictly are they adhered to?
And after all of that why did the service manager of the dealership from whom I bought the car advise me to run in the tyre, brakes, etc....???

Come on guys..Some info please :???:

gtimk5
06-10-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't think VW do that myself. I have rung the dealer three times about seeing VWs getting thrashed on road tests, 2 times about an R32 down here. They are very careful these days. My workshop is less than a km from theirs.
Having said that though about 3 weeks ago though they towed a white mk5 gti past my workshop grinding like never before in the drivetrain!!!!:?

GoLfMan
06-10-2006, 11:38 PM
we were told that th engine was already pre broken in, but we still broke it in up to 1500km.
people thrash what isnt theres, sad huh, they dont care about breaking something they dont have to pay for :(

Oneofthegreats
06-10-2006, 11:56 PM
First off Service Manger's & Salesmen know f#@k all. I don't care who this offends as I have my reason’s & past experiences! Salesmen are worse! The crap that I've put up with & taken from these people is just crazy. They talk down to you like your 6 years old & even in front of the customer! I got a warning for threatening a salesmen with a breaker bar once.
There are a few good ones out there though I suppose.

The customer should get a copy of the PDI (tick sheet) outline.
As far as engine’s & brakes etc. They are all bench tested, brake tested etc. at the factory. A PDI is basically a double check of everything just incase a few mistakes are made at the factory & slipped through the cracks eg. a Monday or Friday car!

As for vehicle treatment, depends on who does the job. I've seen people(mainly the younger generation 3-4 year apprentices) fight over the performance cars so they can take them out & thrash em cause they drive a slow piece's of **** car's & need to get some kick's off someone’s else’s property.
No matter how much you like to think this kind of thing doesn’t happen, it does.
I’m not saying it happen’s all the time or every dealership does this though.
It used to piss me off seeing this happen too, as you'd do the right thing & someone else would be rewarded!

It's funny, as salesmen would also take soon to be new customer's car's out as well & give them a hiding. Eg. When they released the 645CI I can remember being a passenger with a salesman explaining what new function's the car had etc & all he wanted to see was how fast it could go & before I knew it we were doing 230+km/h in a car that hadn't even done 35km!

Anyway this is a example of older PDI sheet

http://xs207.xs.to/xs207/06405/PDI1.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs207&d=06405&f=PDI1.jpg)http://xs107.xs.to/xs107/06405/PDI2.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs107&d=06405&f=PDI2.jpg)

I hope this gives an idea as to what goes on.

BLKMJC
07-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Have to agree to an extent, as soon as my warranty was over I took the car to an independent mechanic, who I talked to and believe could trust. At the dealers there are so many apprentices, who do trash cars as I've seen it happen outside the dealership! Nothing wrong with apprentices tho :)

As for the BOV/DV, yes the factory one is a 100% plumback / recirculating back into the air intake... You need it like this because the MK4 has a MAF which sits there, and measures this to make the car run properly. You'll see lights and warning as soon as you put a 100% atmo BOV.

YOu can get a GFB BOV which you can control how much you vent, 100%/50%/100% back, some people run 75% etc and it still sounds loud yet doesnt thro any cels.

BLKMJC

MR-GTI
07-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Ok Back again..

Another question...I just found a switch on the drivers side ,on the back door trim!!

Any one know what this is for??

Regs MR-GTI

gtimk5
07-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Ita probably to turn off the motion sensor for the alarm. The alarm will also go off if the vehicle is jacked up as well. The switch might be to turn that off. The Gofs have two switches on the RHS B pillar.

gtigrl
08-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Ok Back again..

Another question...I just found a switch on the drivers side ,on the back door trim!!

Any one know what this is for??

Regs MR-GTI
Its a bit wanky but it was explained to me that if I have a dog and I want to leave it in the car I can push that button and when the alarm is activated it won't be tripped by the dog ... bizarr

gtimk5
08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Thats why it is called a motion sensor cancelling button? :?

MR-GTI
08-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for that Peps...

I read the book and found out what it was.

Here is a small pic from my Bro's Camera Phone !!

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4558/2jq5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Regs MR-GTI

gtimk5
08-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Looks nice and new. You have fitted Audi wheels already?:)

mikinoz
08-10-2006, 07:03 PM
time to drop it 30mm now! =)

PoloGTi
09-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey there i am rob i too have a polo on this forum a white GTI POGO sorry have not been on here in a while, Welcome, hope you can gain a few things from the ppl on here they all know alot and there advice is well worth it. The wheels look realy good, i am hoping to have a set of coil overs in in the next three weeks and it goes in for a few body mods on monday well be posting pics as soon as i can. Any questions about vw or anyhting the ppl on here are more than welcome to help cheers Rob.

joshyd-mk2gti
09-10-2006, 10:34 PM
welcome to the club.

have you already got those a8 wheels, or is that photoshopped? someone with a pogo should buy these!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/18-Oettinger-2-piece-wheels-suit-VW-GOLF-AUDI-TT-A3_W0QQitemZ290037849124QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6782QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MR-GTI
11-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Hey all thanks again..

I wish I could fit those rims..it just a Photo shop,I wanted to see what they would look like..

For now it will stay as is,I will be doing tints next week,and maybe POD Filter..

I'll keep you posted.

Regs MR-GTI

BLKMJC
11-10-2006, 02:36 PM
The 1.8T standard airbox and filter are very good, pod filters are mainly done for sound, you wont get much extra performance out of it!

Does the 1.8T in the Polo have the ICM on the airbox?

BLKMJC

gtimk5
11-10-2006, 02:52 PM
pologti put one on his GTI. He doesn't get on here much these days though. I don't think he found much difference. Better off saving up to do the computer... :)

MR-GTI
11-10-2006, 05:42 PM
I just want to here the FLUTTER DAM IT !!!

Regs MR-GTI

PoloGTi
12-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Hey there i have added just a cheap pod and heat sheild to have a play made littel to know performance gains but does sound cool, the biggest prob is it sits up behind the battery out of air flow. i think the best bet would be to se a replacment BMC panel filter that just sits in the air box. i am sure with time a company will develope and air induction system. Save for the chip no money spent anywhere eles will do the same its insain you will love it.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/theblackgeneration/P1010033.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/03/P1010018-1.jpg

MR-GTI
12-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Ok thanks bud..

So someone tell me about this chip??
From Where?
From Who??
How much?
What is the gain?

What other mods MUST be done in conjunction with this chip?

Thanks again.

Regs MR-GTI

PoloGTi
12-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Hey there ok there are a few ppl that do ecu up gardes such as GIAC, APR most offer about the same performance. I have the APR upgrade which is around 152kw and 328Nm of torque from 110kw http://www.goapr.com.au/products/ecu_upgrade_polo18t.html
Its a very simple process they just plug a computer into ur ecu and download the new program i guess theres a bit more to it but thats basicaly it and then you can use 2 or more programs such as 95ron petrol mmap or standerd or a 98ron map right up to a race fuel map, i dont think GIAC offer switching but i might be wrong check out www.hp.net.au or www.goapr.com.au to find your closest dealer or talk to seb but not sure his web addy he is occasionaly on this forum.
Well worth it brings the car to life, i still have a grin on my face from when i had it done and also apr offer a test download that gives you i think 3 hours of driving so u can have that put on to see if you like it or not reverts to standed after the time. also check out APR's build up of there polo at http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2539288&page=1 GTIGRL also has the APR upgarde and i think she is stoked aswell. any question just ask cheers Rob

BLKMJC
13-10-2006, 12:54 AM
A chip is a very fun upgrade on a 1.8T, but suspension mods are very close if not better :)

BLKMJC

PoloGTi
13-10-2006, 12:48 PM
This is true the polo does suffer from bad understreer,
i dont know of any after market rear sway bar produced yet, but i do know whiteline are working on kits for the polo.
So no cheap suspension mods out there yet coils are the best way to go with KW V3s at around $2900 and bilstein PSS9 at around $3500 and springs are around $600 and would not really put them on standered shox, so chip is still cheaper than suspension, it all depends what you want out of the car.