PDA

View Full Version : Hello and thanks!

redroarster
03-10-2008, 07:38 PM
This site is really excellent. Although this is my first post I have lurked on the site for the last 18 months or so and utilised lots of tips and information.

I am Sydney Metro based and I have owned a standard spec Black 1994 VW Golf VR6 for the last 16 months which has 125000km's on the clock. I will be listing for sale on this site so if anyone is interested keep your eyes peeled.

I have been a VW enthusiast since buying a VW Beetle as my first car in 1981. It was a pastel blue colour and was built in 1974 if I can remember right. It was bomb proof and prior to me rebuilding the engine I ran it for at least a month on three cylinders!

I had numerous VW lease cars after this linked to my job and although they were great I really didn't class them in the same bracket as those that I had owned.

My next owned VW was a MK2 Golf GTI. I purchased it in 2002 for £4449. It was 1991 model year car with central locking, power steering and diagonal stripe cloth interior used for 91 cars only. Dealer fit option 14 inch BBS RA alloy wheels with 185 60 14 tyres. Original Panasonic radio cassette. Toad Cat 2 transponder immobiliser. 2 owners from new with an incredible 90123 kms on the clock (56000 miles). It was immaculate inside and out and drove very well as you would expect with a full service history (see pic).

I next owned a MKIV Golf GTI with the 1.8T engine. I sadly part exchanged the MK2 as I needed my own car for work travelling fairly large distances. It was also immaculate inside and out but I did not enjoy the driving experience as it was a much heavier car than the MK2 (see pic).

With growing toddlers I eventually part exchanged the above for a 2001/Y Passat Sport1.9 TDI PD 130 6 Spd in Inky Blue Metallic with 80467 kms (50500 miles). In my opinion it was undoubtedly the best Passat to have with 0-60 in 8.7 seconds and 50-60 mpg easily maintained. The 6 speed gearbox meant just 2500rpm at 80mph. It only had one previous owner.
with a full VW service history. It had a good spec with very rare heated seats, Climatronic climate control, Gamma radio cassette and 6 CD player, black/anthracite sport seats, sports suspension, front and rear centre armrests, 'Road America' 16 inch alloy wheels with 4 Continental tyres, ASR traction control, trip computer, factory remote alarm with ultrasonic sensing, colour coded mirrors/door handles, tinted textured aluminium dash inserts. In respect of the driving experience compared to the MKIV it was much quicker on acceleration which should be no surprise because of the
revolutionary 130 bhp PD (Pumpe Dusee - pump injector) engine fitted to the Sport models has a higher torque output than that fitted in the S and SE and it is the only model to couple it with a 6 speed gearbox which has short ratios to keep the engine in the relatively narrow power band but also offers a very high top gear for relaxed and economical cruising. This Passat was a very useful tool and was a pleasure to drive thanks to the sports
suspension and muscular engine (see pic).

The next car I owned was amazing. Keeping the Passat I decided to purchase a Skoda Fabia VRS. This car was seriously fun and fast to drive having the same engine that was fitted to the Passat but with about half the weight. It was a quick car and was famously featured on Top Gear racing a Mini Cooper S. The prelim to the race was Clarkson posing a question about whether a diesel could beat a petrol engine. Of course it could the Fabia VRS easily beat the Mini Cooper S. It was not a well specced car and pretty basic on the inside but was it a wolf in sheeps clothing (see pic)!

Having migrated to Sydney from the UK I fulfilled a dream to own a Golf VR6. I managed to source an original low Kms model with a service history that was for sale in a car yard on the Central Coast 16 months ago. I can honestly say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. With out doubt this car is the original pocket rocket. I have had trouble free driving throughout the summer and winter with great reliability. The vehicle has done an additional 18k (current Kms 125000) since I have owned it. The vehicle is in exceptional condition and has had the following work done since purchase:

Major service including replacement of all belts and cleaning of injectors and fuel system.
Replacement of drivers side window regulator
Two recent new front tyres Yokohama S Drive
Installation of a Sony CDX GT270S Radio/CD Player/Front Audio in for MP3 player, with removable face and remote control (I have also kept the original radio cassette)
Recent replacement of front ABS speed sensors and an Oil and filter change last week.

The only other modification away from the standard was the replacement of front and rear VW badges (someone prized them off in a car park). I tried to source original chrome but was unable to do so and fitted black badges instead. My reason for selling is to help fund a house purchase (see pic).

In closing I can't really say which of the cars listed was my favourite as I believe all the cars I have owned have had there own individual merits linked to the time when they were first designed and released. The MK3 VR6 is high on my list because of this though because when it was first released as you will all know it had a myriad of new design features which were far from standard on other cars for that period.

mikinoz
03-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Awesome introduction - and all the best with the sale and the house!

Golf Loon
03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Nice intro and cars. Wish we got the Fabia here. Soon maybe...

Buckets
03-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Welcome redroarster...you'll find the people here are very helpful and knowledgable about their Dubs. Hope you enjoy yourself here!

phaeton
04-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Welcome redroarster :biggrin: