PDA

View Full Version : Aerial issues

mrgolf
03-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Tailgate is now debadged and is a huge improvement IMO. I just want to get rid of the silly spoiler on the back, but couldnt be arsed getting holes filled and sprayed.

But, even more irritating is the useless long aerial. Anyone had any luck removing said aerial in favour of a stubby? I only have 4 mods I want to do to this car and two seem to be sticky irritating ones.

Edit: Better make that 6 mods. Black grille and underbonnet pad complete the list after Eibach-ness.

DanSA
05-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Can be removed, needs a good pull tho (make sure you hold the base firmly)

I got one from Rennenhaus, thread is correct but not quite deep enough. Looking to adjust it. Other ones that will fit are Sharan stubbies and other Golf types.

mrgolf
05-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Interesting. Will have to attempt that. How hard do you need to pull it? Any special instructions?

Dub_Star_V6
05-10-2008, 09:37 AM
How hard do you need to pull it?

:duh:

Captain Obvious called. It's for you...

brad
05-10-2008, 12:06 PM
I tried screwing mine out the when I first got it.
The male thread is attached to the aerial mast & it unscrewed about 5mm then stopped. I tried giving it a really hard tug but it seems to be stuck, so I gave up before I broke it.

I thought the aerial mast was a bit OTT as well but now I've accepted that's it's part of the special Skoda ugly package.

From a practical point of view - will a shorter aerial make much difference to reception?

mrgolf
06-10-2008, 04:28 PM
:duh:

Captain Obvious called. It's for you...

Thanks for your informed input. It seems you have already taken the call from Captain Keyboard Warrior. :thumbup:

As for the question, I gave the aerial good hard tug today to the point that the roof was moving. Should it be that hard to remove? What is holding it in exactly?

Brad, I had a stubby on the MkV GTI and I didnt notice any real difference. Mind you, the aerial was a genuine Merc item, so I cant vouch for the cheap knockoffs...

Dub_Star_V6
06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Apologies Mr Golf, it was uncalled for.

But seriously, 'how hard do you have to pull it?'

* sighs * shakes head *

mrgolf
07-10-2008, 09:02 AM
While I can accept that it seems like a pretty strange question, if you had some experience with this problem, you may better understand my concern. I am worried about damaging the roof and am therefore enquiring how much effort was required to remove the aerial from DanSA's car. Mine seems pretty stuck on.

I also accept that there is ridiculous double entendre there if you like that sort of thing...

DanSA
07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Pretty hard mate. Just make sure you hold the base firmly, wind it right out untill the thread is out, then - yank!
It does seem wrong, but will come out.

mrgolf
08-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks. Seems pretty determined to stay in. Will try again in the knowledge it should be hard.

mrgolf
12-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Success! Thanks for your help. Much better with a stubby.

brad
13-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Success! Thanks for your help. Much better with a stubby.

what kind?

how much?

Pics?

Dub_Star_V6
13-10-2008, 09:55 AM
:pics:

Pics or ban!

mrgolf
13-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Its off a Merc. It was free and off my MkV GTI. I got it through some dodgy dealings on the tex. Pics? Better yet, stay tuned for much more. ;)

woofy
08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Does anyone find that the reception isn't the best?? I sometimes get fuzz/crackles from the smaller speakers but not when playing CDs or using the aux in, so its definitely the radio, could be all the tram power lines i tend to always be near, but I noticed the car was set to mono when i test drove it so they obviously got annoyed as well by it.

Just wondering if my antenna is broken?

brad
08-12-2008, 12:17 PM
mines great.

Best radio i've had in a car for ages.

mrgolf
05-01-2009, 09:12 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/01/392054802_9KY4YL-1.jpg

Debadged and stubby.

gregozedobe
05-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Debadged and stubby.

And with freshly cleaned wheels (don't they get "dusted" way too soon ?)

And I can see some more debadging for the rear - have a good look at your number plate ;). I always tell the dealer I am open to negotiations for carrying their advertising, but so far none have been willing to actually pay up, so I remove it ALL, no matter how small and obscurely located.

Actually Lennocks weren't too bad, they didn't even put their stickers on my last two new'uns (after I said I didn't want any advertising on them, but I still had to remove a few Skoda ones though).

DanSA
06-01-2009, 07:04 AM
My pet hate their too Greg, what do they think it is, a moving bill board for their dealership?? :brutal:

mrgolf
06-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah, we havent got our number plate covers yet. Its on my to do list while on holidays. First thing to come off was the Lennock sticker under the VRS badge and the rear windscreen sticker...