PDA

View Full Version : Pitty I didn't find this site before I sold my GTi

dgd1600
29-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm sadly departing with my GTi in a couple of weeks. Only had it for a 16 or so months and have had to sell it.

If only I'd found this site before I sold it. Not sure it would have made a difference to the final outcome but to find people of like mind is always a good thing.

I;ve been building and racing datsun 1600's for years and wanted a small zippy car that was of high build quality and was a pleasure to drive. End result was the GTi. Don't get me wrong I'm not putting GTI's in the same league as datsun 1600's but in their days the datto was a great car - as Golfs are today and similarly have been for a long time since the mk1 was released. Pitty actually Nissan didn't maintain the culture that VW has with the golf. Others I looked at were the Ford Focus ZR5 ( nice but nowhere near as nice fit and finish ) - Mazda MPS ( I think I'm too old for all the fiddly bits ) - Pug ( no resale value )

Oh. the reason for selling - I live on a dirt road ( read damn council doesn;t service road with big rocks and pot holes ) and keeping the car looking good and undamaged meant it was not being driven much. So I decided to sell my golf and Nissan patrol and buy a 200 series landcruiser - a tad different than the golf, but at least it will be a bit more resiliant to the road conditions.

So there you have it - some might say why buy a golf in the first place - passion for a nice car overuled the head - and who isn't guilty of this!

FJ Steve
29-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Pity about that.

When I begin to settle on the car of choice (or at leats shortlist it to 3 possibles) I started searching the forums and net for opinions etc. I was on here and other sites before we collected the R.

And snap...I'm an old Datto punter myself. Was a member of the LCCT (Light Car Club Tasmania) in the '70's. Had a 1970 1600, twin SU's, Monroe suspension, Aunger mags, custom exhaust. Miss that beast so much.