PDA

View Full Version : New member - 1998 T4 LWB Diesel

Deeceer
28-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi all, been lurking and looking at the site for a while while selling a small car to buy a T4. Checked out several petrol SWBs around Brisbane, wasn't thinking diesel and thought a LWB wouldn't fit in my garage but then fluked a really well priced and top condition van just down the road from home on the Gold Coast. Owned it for about six weeks, built a removable double bed platform and been camping in it twice plus rediscovered the joys of being able to shift stuff about (mowers, washing machines, tables) and even done a car boot sale. I'd forgotten how great owning a van is.

This is my first VW. Owned 3 Falcon panel vans years ago.

Oh, and the LWB does fit in my garage - 100mm to spare either end (had to pull the tow bolt tongue to get the door down).

Mrk_Mickey
29-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Hey mate, welcome aboard. Great to hear you're getting great use of your van, I want one for exactly the same reasons but I'm way too young to need one:D

Enjoy the forums :)

phaeton
04-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Welcome Deeceer & congrats on the purchase ;)

What spec is it - LWB....?

Deeceer
06-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Welcome Deeceer & congrats on the purchase ;)

What spec is it - LWB....?
Hi Ben - Long Wheel Base as opposed to SWB (Short...). I think it's something like an extra 27cm but don't quote me on that. Doesn't sound like a lot but it's real squeezy in our 5.3m garage. However, it really makes a positive difference to our camping set-up - it's like the bloody Tardis! - so I'm glad it came about like it did.

phaeton
06-10-2008, 10:16 AM
TDI or petrol ?

Deeceer
06-10-2008, 04:05 PM
It's the 55Kw diesel according to the previous owners notes in the handbook and a sticker on a plastic cover that was kicking around in the load area when I got it (can't for the life of me figure where that's supposed to go) which makes it non-turbo I believe. Can't say I know what I'm looking at under the bonnet though as I've only owned ordinary petrol-engined vehicles previously. Was delighted to get over 800km from the first full tank of fuel I put in it though I suspect consumption has increased as I've got used to the van's handling and started sinking the boot into the throttle a bit more. I'm also pleased that while diesel prices are high, they're not as volatile from day to day so I've been able to generally find it at the same price.

phaeton
06-10-2008, 04:34 PM
It's the 55Kw diesel according to the previous owners notes in the handbook and a sticker on a plastic cover that was kicking around in the load area when I got it (can't for the life of me figure where that's supposed to go) which makes it non-turbo I believe. Can't say I know what I'm looking at under the bonnet though as I've only owned ordinary petrol-engined vehicles previously. Was delighted to get over 800km from the first full tank of fuel I put in it though I suspect consumption has increased as I've got used to the van's handling and started sinking the boot into the throttle a bit more. I'm also pleased that while diesel prices are high, they're not as volatile from day to day so I've been able to generally find it at the same price.

Cool, I just went through my brochures :eek:

I'm guessing your T4 has a 2.4L swirl chamber diesel engine that produces 57kW @ 3700rpm and 164Nm of Torque at 1800-2200rpm.

Deeceer
07-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Cool, I just went through my brochures :eek:

I'm guessing your T4 has a 2.4L swirl chamber diesel engine that produces 57kW @ 3700rpm and 164Nm of Torque at 1800-2200rpm.

Thanks for looking it up. Sounds like you have quite a library of brochures.

The vehicle data sticker in the front of the service schedule book says it's the 55Kw engine plus the original owner has circled 55Kw throughout the owner's manual. I was surprised to see there were so many different diesel engines available.

I have just about all of the original delivery documents for the vehicle, even insurance documents. Its history is that it had one owner in country SE Qld then was held for some time by a dealer who was going to press it into service for himself but never did. Then I scored it. Funnily enough, based on rego numbers, I think it may have been purchased from the same dealer within a couple of weeks of another van I was looking at in Brisbane.