PDA

View Full Version : New VW T4 Caravelle owner

MrBell
25-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi all,
I've just become the proud owner of a 2002 T4 Caravelle. It's ideal for our large family and has done just under 100,000km. Timing belt & ball joints have just been changed out as well as the indicator lever. Other than that, it runs very well.

We would really like to get hold of a single folding seat to go in the passenger center row. The bolts are in the floor for it - but no seat. We have the three seats at the rear and 2 person seat in the middle.

I've tried VW -the best they could come up with was a quote for $4000+ :eek: to build the seat from new parts!. I've also tried Wesbar Vanquip - no response as yet.

Any help getting a folding seat would be greatly appreciated!

jets
26-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Looks good. It's hard to believe the ball joints were worn out at that mileage, normally they would last well over 200,000km.
Is this the type of seat you are after?
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=15154

MrBell
26-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Yep, that's exactly the seat with the 'foot'. The bolts are in the floor of my van just waiting :)

Deeceer
01-10-2008, 08:54 AM
http://www.brisvans.com.au/van_seating.html

Also ensure your existing floor fittings are complied to state regs, either as original equipment or by an aftermarket engineering approval. A pain, sure, but necessary to (a) stay safe :) and (b) keep your insurance company on side in the event of an accident. :eek:

MrBell
28-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Tysons advised me that an after market seat wont fit - I'll have to scour the wreckers.

MrBell
10-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi all,
I had no luck with wreckers in Australia.
In the end I got my cousin in England to chase-up a rear folding single and a front 1.5 bench. When they finally shipped from England they turned out to be for a T5.

The front bench went in with a little drilling and the rear was a nightmare.
Anyway, both are now in, but they are taller than T4 seats.
Also the T5 front bench must be a little wider than a T4 because it prevented the door from fully closing. Rather than re-bolt the seat further in, I chopped the 'pocket' on the door.

Good luck!

cram
11-11-2009, 03:37 PM
wow - what a drama - remind me not get a middle two seater (we are looking for a t4 with a good 3 seater in the middle)..