PDA

View Full Version : Hottuning in the Ibiza - the LOW down

IbizaGTI
23-09-2008, 11:14 PM
So I've had the Hottuning coilovers in for a few weeks now, and finally got around to taking photos and posting them up on here.

I've played around with the height for ages, coz the backs are just a total pain to get right, anything higher than i got them now feels like you're riding on a pair of springs, they just bounce like pogo sticks... totally uncomfortable and very bad around corners if there is any kind of bump coz you end up bouncing the back end around the corner instead of turning... but when you lower it down so the shocks start damping correctly and they're a joy! although - and this entirely my own fault they do rub on the arches with the 205/45R16 in there... only on really big bumps... so the plan is to get the little inner lips rolled up so they don't cut into the tyres, but for now its slowly over the bumps...

The front are too low currently, they rub badly around sharp corners - but as far as damping they are fine even when much higher, so I'll just raise them in 10 or 5mm increments till they stop rubbing, this will compromise the looks, but hey I like going fast around corners...

Performance wise, I haven't driven any others so I can't tell really, they are firmer than the original shocks and they definitely allow me to go around corners faster and with much more control than previously. a marked improvement for sure... with the original shocks the car used to get jittery around sharp corners and there was a lot of body roll, and if there were bumps as you went around it would scare the beez of me coz it would feel real unsteady. that is all fixed with the coils, much steadier and in control the whole way round.

So thanks Robin for the bargain and the help in fiddling with them so they work better :)

here are some pics:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/09/EzBz01-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/09/EzBz02-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/09/EzBz03-1.jpg

Lorenz
23-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Nice work champ, looks alot better now its dropped nicely. Sits about the same as my car does and it seems to be a pretty decent comprimise in height, performance and looks.

Look forward to catching up again soon and we can compare cars again.

Cupra
24-09-2008, 10:36 AM
The beezer looks great & your ride report sounds similar to my experiance, the lower I went the more comfortable it got without losing handling. Your comments on rubbing with the 205's is interesting, I'm running standard 16's with 195/45 without any issues.

Anyway I'm a couple of months after fitment with no problems. :biggrin:

enjoy

Phil

evorobin
24-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Spot on the rear bounces like nuts when they are high. I have made a point of telling customers of Biza coils about this as the rear needs to be low inorder to get the best ride.

The_Hawk
24-09-2008, 01:18 PM
...but Officer, it NEEDS to be this low in order to handle properly...

It's true though, you loose travel and stiffen everything up as you get higher... but then is that a bad thing... ;)

Cupra
24-09-2008, 06:35 PM
yep, yep ,yep to all of the above.

I found as soon as the height keeper spring came off full compression as I lowered it it got so much better. :driver:

I took it to Boris's picnic on the weekend hear in Sydney which was an hour drive across Sydney for us & it's the first time my wife has been in it since I dropped it down & she now thinks that it's firm, not harsh or hard. When I first installed them & had it sitting high she said she wouldn't ride in it again as it was painful to ride in!

Mrk_Mickey
24-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Nice work man, looks really good as it is:D I can't wait to get my coils in... :D

NiGhtCRaWlEr
25-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Definately more responsive when lowered.
the looks dept is merely a bonus ;)

The_Hawk
25-09-2008, 09:10 AM
I was scraping on one too many things so had the guys at the shop wind it up a little while doing a wheel alignment and balance, they went a little too far and while I have wound to back down a little, I think I still need a little more for it to be perfect :D

cdogg
10-10-2008, 09:40 PM
hey the car sits nice
i've seen these coilovers on ebay(uk) is that where you got em or did you buy em locally i'm keen to get some for my gti ibiza...
thanks

evorobin
11-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm the Australian dealer for Hottuning although depending on the exchange rate you'd be looking at around $850 delivered for a Biza.

Robin

IbizaGTI
11-10-2008, 08:23 PM
hey the car sits nice
i've seen these coilovers on ebay(uk) is that where you got em or did you buy em locally i'm keen to get some for my gti ibiza...
thanks

yeah i got them from Robin (evorobin)
and he helped me adjust em etc...
recommended :)

cdogg
12-10-2008, 12:10 PM
thanks peps
well i guess i'll just hit you up when i'm ready to get them - robin
cheers