PDA

View Full Version : Going efi soon tell me about surge tanks

sydneymk1
31-07-2005, 03:29 AM
going to upgrage my mk1 project two 16v and i have heard that u cant use the standard fuel tank with out a surge tank, i heard the other option was to get a gti / desiel tank but in the gti cabrio i just sold i already had some trouble when doing long hard right turns with fuel starvation. i dont think the baffles are good enough. could anyone with conversion experience give me some clues (please if u have no clues dont respond)

aprr32
31-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Done quite a few injection conversions on mk1s and the only time fuel starvation is a problem is when you're out of fuel.After all the dsl/gti tank worked for every standard injected car VW made.The fuel tank in my caddy is the standard dsl one and it feeds the 1.8t without any problems.
Cheers

20v kit car
31-07-2005, 06:44 PM
had the same prob in my 85 gti cabrio..even put in a new lift pump...fuel starve on hard cornering...think you are in the right area with the baffles ..never got to the bottom of it. as pete says most other converted cars using diesel tanks dont appear to suffer the same prob...got me stumped!!!!! surge tank is always a safe bet..on anything driving hard...cheers steve.....wasn't a black gti cabrio you owned was it?

Golf Loon
31-07-2005, 09:55 PM
I think diesel tanks and GTI tanks are slightly different. I heard that the diesels had better baffles, so maybe your problem is limited to those mid model cabrios. They were basically running Mk2 everything, but a modified Mk1 tank.

I`m using a diesel tank in my Mk1, 16v easier to get in Oz. :lol:

Golfwise
01-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Use a lift pump as in later Cabrios,better than taking the tank out ??????

sydneymk1
03-08-2005, 06:34 PM
the gti and diesel tanks have the same part no. according to brians computer so cant see them being different. golfwise are u suggesting standard tank with lift pump into surge tank sounds like the easiest solution to me. unless someone local has a diesel tank for sale. thanks all for responce

Golfwise
04-08-2005, 08:49 AM
VW stopped using the old diesel/GTI tanks as far back as 1984 and used a normal style one with a lift pump.There is a lot of engineering brains at wolfsburg, why reinvent the wheel I say.
I changed many a tank for the diesel ones in the past but never again.
Go lift pumps ! :)

syncro
04-08-2005, 09:26 AM
VW stopped using the old diesel/GTI tanks as far back as 1984 and used a normal style one with a lift pump.There is a lot of engineering brains at wolfsburg, why reinvent the wheel I say.
I changed many a tank for the diesel ones in the past but never again.
Go lift pumps ! :)

The lift pump tank is different again.
171 201 075P NA Tank
171 201 075Q FI Tank
151 201 075B FI Lift Pump Cabrio Tank

I am not sure but I think that the fuel lines may be larger in FI tanks.

Golfwise
04-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Always use bigger fuel lines and the diesel ones are good to use too. :D

Golf Loon
04-08-2005, 10:25 AM
How big a fuel line 8mm 10mm?